For those who don't get flylady .... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's mummy View Post
ahhh, i was doing so well and have now been away for 5 days so feel totally bewildered!
can someone sum up in a nutshell what i am supposed to be doing each day? e.g i was doing hug, get dressed, 2 min hot spot. what else?!?

help!
I think you were supposed to start doing "I can do anything for 15 minutes."

She's on a business trip now and hadn't updated as of this morning.

I'm not following the plan because a 2 month old makes it more like "see how much I can do during her nap" than 15 minutes whenever, but seeing the new blog post each morning got me motivated to do something during the day.
#62 of 86 Old 10-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Ok I'm back!

Being gone is exhausting, but hubster did a good job keeping up his routines while I was gone. And since so many of the areas were in pretty good condition there were only a few extra things in each hotspot.

So here we are:

Day 12

Today we are deleting emails. For those of in the group who are getting the official emails everyday, the official project of the day is to delete those. For those of us who are not getting those emails, we should go through our inboxes and weed through a little bit. I think this could be a 2 minute hotspot even.

So to recap what we're doing so far:

1. Hug
2. Get Dressed
3. 2 minute hotspot
4. 5 minute room rescue
5. 15 minutes of decluttering
6. Thinking positively
7. Doing one thing at night to make the mornings go easier.
8. Keeping our inboxes up
#63 of 86 Old 11-01-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's mummy View Post
can someone sum up in a nutshell what i am supposed to be doing each day?
Flylady's Beginner Babysteps.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#64 of 86 Old 11-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Great, I'm back on track!
Thanks all
#65 of 86 Old 11-01-2008, 05:39 PM

I have been reading ahead on the baby steps, and I am noticing that they are very teeny tiny baby steps. People that are completely enrolled in the program will be getting continuing and ongoing emails and reminders to help them keep going, but those of us doing the modified version, we need to do a little bit of foundation building here.

One of the things we need to start thinking about is how to divide our living space into zones. The official program has 5 zones:

1. The Entrance, Front Porch and Dining Room
2. The Kitchen
3. The Bathroom + 1 extra Room
4. The Master Bedroom
5. The Living Room

The idea behind zone cleaning is that you don't have to clean everything at the same time and you can spread it out over the whole week, month, or year. Within each zone there are "missions" - things that you need to do once a month, once a quarter, twice a year, and once a year.

So I guess first things first, everyone should start mentally dividing their living space into 4-5 zones. I think one our upcoming side projects is going to be to take a zone, and completely list out everything that would get done to completely and 100% clean that zone, so that we can divvy that up into different missions.
#66 of 86 Old 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM

Day 13

To day we are doing a mission. The official zone for this week was the living room, so all the official missions for this week were in the living room. But think about a smallish project 30 mins to an hour or shorter that you can do that will make you feel really accomplished. Last weekend I did a refrigerator mission, and completely went through my fridge and threw away everything that was old and unidentifiable, and completely cleaned it out. Just the refrigerator section. It took about an hour, so longer than I thought it would, but I felt totally awesome when it was done. The freezer side is still a bit of a disaster, but the refrigerator side was really amazing. There are a few drips and drops now, which I am thinking about going to go take care of, but for the most part it's still looking good. I think about twice a year I should do that.

I think for today's mission for me, I'm going to continue working in my office. I still have hours and hours worth of missions in here.
#67 of 86 Old 11-03-2008, 05:38 PM

Yesterday:

Day 14

We are reading an essay about using a calendar to get organized.

http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLesso...ngCalendar.asp

I am not good with keeping up calendars. Well I am good at keeping up my work calendar, but it is with me like 99% of the time. I do not want to keep my personal calendar together with my work calendar, so I keep a regular wall calendar on my fridge. It never gets updated.

I have started carrying a notebook in my purse, and I put big things in it for each month, but that is not the same thing as carrying a calendar. I think I really want an electronic pocket organizer, but I am not sure if that's in the cards for me.
#68 of 86 Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Day 15

Today we are making our beds.

The actual thing is to add one thing to our morning routines that should be happening on a daily basis. So if bed's are already your hug, then maybe hanging up the towels can be your new morning item. I will not be making my bed because there is still a person sleeping in it when I leave for work, but I think I am going to add a morning 5 minutes of stretching. I don't think there are any rules that the things we add have to be house cleaning only things.
#69 of 86 Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 PM

can I join in too! I've been fluttering for a while, but I lost track of everything last December and am still trying to recover. Today I set 2 goals and think I will only get one accomplished. I wanted to get the laundry caught up and find my sink! So far I've only managed to find the sink!
#70 of 86 Old 11-04-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolAK View Post
can I join in too! I've been fluttering for a while, but I lost track of everything last December and am still trying to recover. Today I set 2 goals and think I will only get one accomplished. I wanted to get the laundry caught up and find my sink! So far I've only managed to find the sink!
Anyone can join in!

We're not doing the official thing each day, we're just trying to see what works for us, and kind of sub in some things so we follow the spirit of the recommendations if not necessarily the letter of the recommendations. And if you find something that works for you, totally post it! We're mostly flylady dropouts here trying to make the methods work for us. Also check out the blog I am keeping, there are some photos there and some of the things that I am doing specifically in my own living space.

Oh and if anyone else wants to send me photos for the blog let me know!
#71 of 86 Old 11-04-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks!!

:
#72 of 86 Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 AM

Day 16

Today's official project is to read an email from Flylady. If you get the emails, no problemo.

Today's unofficial project is to read 1 post from an organizing inspiration blog or thread. Here's a few possible ones:

http://letstalkorganizing.blogspot.com/
http://jdorganizer.blogspot.com/
http://www.declutterit.com/
http://creativeorganizing.typepad.com/
http://www.organizedwithstyle.com/blog.htm
or
http://mdcnoflyzone.blogspot.com/ if you want to see pictures of my house in various states of clutter.
#73 of 86 Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Done two lots of "I can do anything for 15 mins" today and recycled a huge heap of paperwork.
But, my house still looks like one big hot spot! One day.. just have to try not to get discouraged
#74 of 86 Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM

I found something that works!

My son has really bad allergies. So dust is a big issue in my house! I have tried for years to figure out an easier way to dust than to wet wipe everything twice a week. My husband is also allergic to feathers so the flylady duster was out (it's ostrich feathers). I found a synthetic static duster and tried it. I have to shake it out often, but it works really good. Now instead of spending an hour twice a week, I grab the duster for 5 minutes every other day. With dusting every other day I don't have the build up and it goes a lot faster. : (I also skimmed down on the amount of nik-naks I have out, and rotate them now every month.)

I was also able to reach the ceiling fan in the stair well since the duster has a telloscoping handle!! For once my stair well is cobweb free!!!
#75 of 86 Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 AM

Day 17http://flylady.net/pages/bbd17.asp

Today we are setting ourselves a bed time.

This gives us "permission" to think about ourselves a little bit. We need rest and down time and it is not selfish at all to say, this is not an emergency and can wait until tomorrow, I'm tired and I need to rest to do a good job at this. Of course there are going to be some things that do need to be handled right away, but unless someone is bleeding, starving, or actually sick, most things can wait until you have had a chance to rest.

I already have a weekday bedtime for myself of around 11:30, but I don't have to be awake until 7. If I had to be awake earlier I would have to go to bed earlier, I can really tell when I haven't had enough sleep, and everyone around me can tell too. I know some people don't need as much sleep, but think of it as a time when you turn off the TV/computer/other demands and just recharge and reconnect with yourself.
#76 of 86 Old 11-06-2008, 10:37 PM

Day 18

Today we are introduced to the program's 11 commandments.

I think 11 is too many, so here's what I'm going with:

1. Divide and conquer. So the office is a huge disaster of unspeakable proportions. But the desk top is a manageable bit, and so is the top shelf of the closet, and the middle shelf, and the top drawer of the dresser, etc.
2. Put things back. This is my biggest self sabotaging habit. If I would just put things back right away half the problems with my clutter would solve themselves.
3. Accept that into each life a little clutter must gather. I'm never going to be a clutter free person, and even though I feel good when I conquer clutter, I shouldn't feel bad when clutter shows up again.
#77 of 86 Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM

I think the biggest thing that doesn't click for me, is the shiny happy face you're supposed to put on. I've been doing these daily projects, and really I think this is the thing that bothers me the most. And the acronyms. Although I think maybe the acronyms are a very close second. I have been watching Celebrity Rehab on VH1 : and Gary Busey is making me crazy with his acronyms and I think it is having an affect on me so that whenever I see them now I get crazy.

The things that I am "getting", it takes a while to establish a routine and you don't want to start too many things all at once, because then when you burn out you'll lose all of your new things. It's been frustrating for me not to have the assignments feature major WOW cleaning projects, but if I am being honest with myself, I'm not even doing my 2 minute hot spots every single day and clutter still builds up there. And even some new hot spots are sprouting up. So I am accepting that change is a slow process, because I have to change a lot about my relationship with "stuff" and the reasons that I accumulate in the first place. And why I don't put things away when I'm done using them. So this is sort of a midway point for us in the first month, and I just wanted to see how everyone else was doing.
#78 of 86 Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 AM

Granted I have been working on flylady for a long time now. One thing I found that works for me when it comes to establishing my routines is to add 1 new thing every week and don't stop doing the other things. Everyday, same thing over and over.

My morning routine so far-
Get up.
Make bed
see DH off to work
shower
Then I sit and have a nice cup of coffee before the kids get up.

It has taken me a month to get this far! First I started getting up half hour before the kids and getting my coffee, DH was on his own. Then I added making the bed, then getting up with DH, then I started my showers in the morning. Next week I;ll add something else. Or I might just take a week and make sure I have these established since I have family issues at the moment.

The key I found before (I was doing great before December of last year), is to make the system work for you. i don't use flylady's cleaning lists, I don't section my house off the way she does, and I have to do a lot more than 1 hour a week for "blessings". Instead I have my own lists, my own sections, and I have a daily blessing. I also don't focus a whole lot on the sink. Instead i picked one spot that has always bothered me and is the hardest to keep clean. For me it was the dinning room table. I almost always have a few dishes in the sink, and I refuse to hide them (out of sight, out of mind). But my table is always shining before I go to bed! In a sence, I don't use flylady's system, I use my own! I just use hers as an example on how to build my own, and I take her advise on the babysteps.
#79 of 86 Old 11-08-2008, 11:18 PM

Yesterday was Day 19

I forgot to post it, but yesterday we were reading testimonials. I think this is mainly to keep us going, because like I said yesterday, it is starting to get frustrating that we aren't having more WOW! moments with this. It's important to remember that it's a slow and steady process and that each new habit needs to get established before we add another one. Personally, I find plenty of inspiration right here!
#80 of 86 Old 11-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Day 20

Now we're adding laundry in to the daily routines.

This is the one thing that I find makes the biggest difference, and I am really trying to establish this habit. I hate hate hate folding and putting away laundry, so when all the laundry gets held up until the weekend, I don't put it away and it lays out and is cluttery and ugly and blech all over my room.

So about a year ago, I got 2 two-compartment laundry hampers and we sort the laundry as it gets dirty. What I am really trying to do is take 1 load and put it in the washer at night and then in the morning before I leave I just start the machine. When I get home I put the laundry in the dryer. After dinner the laundry gets folded and put away. This habit has been really really hard for me to establish, but I think it will be worth it in the long term so I am really working on it.
#81 of 86 Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Banned

Ok...

Here is my problem.

I can't get out of bed. I have no "morning routine" because I can barely drag my butt out of bed when my 17 mo DD wakes up. I get up with her, change her dipe, feed her, snuggle, play, read books...then she plays while I sort of veg...Check my email, check my message boards.

We don't ever really have anywhere to go before, at the earliest, 2:30 in the afternoon...so, we don't get dressed until after lunch.

When I was working (just got laid off 10 days ago), I was very productive. I was up at 5:30a, got home around 5:30p, cleaned up the living room, did a load of laundry while getting dinner going...then always picked up the house after the baby went to bed before I went to bed...

Now that I'm laid off, I just can't seem to get a routine. The kicker?? I was only working for 6 weeks...prior to that, I'd been a SAHM for 3 years...and I had the same organization/motivation problems then that I have now. It's like working outside of the home kept me motivated to keep things in order.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my act together. This thread is helpful.
#82 of 86 Old 11-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
IThe things that I am "getting", it takes a while to establish a routine and you don't want to start too many things all at once, because then when you burn out you'll lose all of your new things. It's been frustrating for me not to have the assignments feature major WOW cleaning projects, but if I am being honest with myself, I'm not even doing my 2 minute hot spots every single day and clutter still builds up there. And even some new hot spots are sprouting up. So I am accepting that change is a slow process, because I have to change a lot about my relationship with "stuff" and the reasons that I accumulate in the first place. And why I don't put things away when I'm done using them. So this is sort of a midway point for us in the first month, and I just wanted to see how everyone else was doing.

Yeah, same here. I think this is something about my temperament though. I can be very pro-active, consistent etc with my house, my kids, my various jobs/voluntary work and then after a while of this, I just fall off the wagon and have "down" days when I can't seem to get going, I snap at the kids, I can't hold all the routines and behaviours together.

I check this thread everyday and try to implement the new thing, although I haven't done the binder or mentally set up zones. I have done "15 mins on anything" most days and am generally keeping tasks shorter e.g. if I go to pee, when I'm done I might spend 5 minutes wiping the bathroom over and such like. Just breaking the whole job down to make it more manageable.

I see today's task is laundry. I have 3 young kids, one of whom wears cloth diapers and we use cloth wet wipes. :
#83 of 86 Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 AM

I think we might be a day behind, but here we go with Day 21

Today we're checking Ask Flylady to see what other people are going through and to see what Flylady recommends.

Me personally, I am continuing to check in here and draw inspiration from others here and to get some great tips from other people who are struggling the same as I am. Sometimes, for me reading other people's admission of only getting a couple things right is more reassuring and inspirational than a whole slew of people getting everything done. I like knowing that not everyone is perfect and that life isn't all flowers and rainbows.
#84 of 86 Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 AM

I think there is a definitely a lag, but hey it's cool

Day 22

We should be working on our control journals. It might not seem like it's important, and really in the grand scheme of things it's not. But my day job shows me all the time that routines that are written down are followed better and over a longer period of time than routines that are only stored in the head.

So even though I am resisting it, in my brain I know it is important to do. So I'm working on it.
#85 of 86 Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM

So, where at we at?
I tell you, my house is a hell hole right now!
#86 of 86 Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM

So I know I have been seriously slacking in the updating department, and to be honest it is because I have just not been feeling the homework the last few days.

Day 23 homework was to write down our afternoon routines, and Day 24 homework is to start doing the Swish and Swipe daily maintenance of the bathrooms.

Day 25

Today, we are learning how Flylady developed her routines, as you can see from her story, it doesn't just happen overnight. But I think it is important to understand how to build a cleaning, organizing, and decluttering program, and really the best defense is a good offense. So my personal challenge for today is to create Master Cleaning Schedules for each area of my home. These are lists of every cleanable item in each area and how frequently they need to be cleaned, I'll be posting these on the blog, but here's what I've worked out so far for the master bathroom:

Walls - Twice a year
Baseboards -Once a year
Floor - Monthly
Toilet exterior - Monthly
Toilet interior - Weekly
Mirrors - Weekly
Medicine Cabinet Interior - Once a year
Sink - Weekly
Counter Top - Weekly
Vanity Exterior - Weekly
Vanity Interior - Once a year
Shower Exterior - Monthly
Shower Interior - Weekly
Drain Pipe - Once a year
Towels - Weekly
Bathmat - Monthly

I'm going to do this for each room. This will help me build my total cleaning calendar, because that is how I am going to do my house, but this can also be used for people that are going to be doing a card system, which is less regimented and better for people that like to go with the flow more than be on a routine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page