November room Challenge- Kitchen! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see a room challenge yet So I figured I'd start one! I wanted to do my kitchen in preparation for Thanksgiving (you know find the big turkey pot!) For the most part the kitchen is pretty clean but its still a bit cluttered, I think I can do better! Here's my pictures;

Garage door

Fridge

Stove and bit of hallway

Sink and stove And Kitchen aid mixer! :

I really just want to give my kitchen a bit more personality! Be able to make Christmas cookies in peace with the kids! Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 PM

I don't need to do a ton of work in my kitchen, but I need to reorganize cabinets and drawers and get rid of a ton of stuff. It's mostly decorated but I do need to hang on or two more things.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 11-02-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I don't need to do a ton of work in my kitchen, but I need to reorganize cabinets and drawers and get rid of a ton of stuff. It's mostly decorated but I do need to hang on or two more things.
That's me. I do need to thin out some of my storage/pots and pans. I'm in!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Are these monthly challenges cleaning,declutter,decorating specific, or just whatever needs to be done

either way I'm in, my kitchen is the hub of mess, clutter, can't keep up with it, ~freakin stuff everywhere~ here, and i KNOW it'll make me feel so much better to get it under control
Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpchez View Post
Are these monthly challenges cleaning,declutter,decorating specific, or just whatever needs to be done

either way I'm in, my kitchen is the hub of mess, clutter, can't keep up with it, ~freakin stuff everywhere~ here, and i KNOW it'll make me feel so much better to get it under control
Whatever needs to be done

Here are pics of my kitchen that I took a few months ago wen we moved in:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...9/DSC02319.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...9/DSC02320.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...9/DSC02321.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...9/DSC02322.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...9/DSC02323.jpg

I think it's beautiful but it needs some LIFE.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your kitchen is beautiful!
And I'm in. Pics to follow.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 11-03-2008, 01:23 AM

Beautiful kitchen!

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 AM

Very beautiful kitchen!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 AM

I actually was working on my kitchen already.. almost done. It's a tiny galley kitchen with w/d at the end. I keep weeding through the cabinets, and, gasp, I managed to empty an entire cabinet, so now ds has his own. He was so obsessed with the cabinets, so now he's happy and I have the added benefit of a place to tuck away his toys at night and naptime. For decor, I hung up a collage of my grandma's china, using dinner, salad, dessert plates.. they're totally not my style, but it looks neat. I was also going to commit to dragging out the china to eat off of every Sunday, but shoot, today's the first Sunday and I've already forgot! I'll post a pic when I get to it.
my main goal now is to figure out a good dish routine.. I feel like I'm constantly washing, and I hate having a towel-full of dishes drying on the counter constantly.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM

My kitchen is a clutter magnet!!!

It's actually clean right now (took me hours) but I obviously need to do something because it just doesn't stay that way. After only a day, all the counters start to get covered with everything under the sun from mail, school papers, coupons, dishes, newspapers, etc....

Also, I have a pantry/storage room just off the kitchen that is always a disaster. I'm just so sick of looking at it!

So count me in girls:

Joanne,
Mommy to three great kids- Emily(13) Madelyn (7) Logan (3)
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM

This is perfect, I just started working on my kitchen last night! I agree, kitchens are clutter magnets, definitely the worst place in my house.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in! I need to go through my cabinets and drawers mostly. There are so many things in the drawers especially that don't have homes, so I either need to find them a home or toss them.

I'll post pics later today.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 PM

We just moved into a new modular : in January, so I've had things pretty under control. I have one problem area. I *Detest* the cupboards. They are just so space wasting. Most of them I make do with, but we have an area - I wish I could send pictures- Ok, so it's an 'L' shape. the inner is all tiny cabinet doors. DUH! how about a hinged door? I have all this wasted space I can hardly access, and it all has roll out shelves. I've removed the shelves. I think I need to remove the frames too. I'd like to remove the panels on the back and make it slide open like my Grandma's did. I'm just wondering, should I build shelves in there? or buy stacker things? I'm hoping to just organize the stuff that get's tossed in there already. Small appliances and paper towel., or since I bake almost everyday, should I put the sliders back in on one part for ingredients etc. and use the back for the foreman grill, vita mix, etc.?

Help! ask me questions, make suggestions, point me to good links, whatever. my current black hole is very frustrating. I don't want to stand in my new kitchen screaming I hate this kitchen' anymore.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 11-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Heather, what kind of modular did you get? I am really interested in these homes and would love to see pics of yours or a website for where you purchased it.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sahds Can we change Kitchens? I'd gladly give your kitchen some personality, or even keep it just the way it is and relish it! I have done everything in the house these past few days EXCEPT work on the kitchen! We have 3 days off from school this week so I think I'm going to try to get some things done. I want to go through my cookie cutter collection and cut it down by at least half. (We have tons of cutters!) Now I still have to find my turkey pan.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
Heather, what kind of modular did you get? I am really interested in these homes and would love to see pics of yours or a website for where you purchased it.
see new thread here :

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post12530167

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 11-03-2008, 11:58 PM

whew, I'm about finished, and took tons of pics. I figured I'd take a pic inside every cabinet to hold myself accountable. nothing to hide!!!! these are all my cabinets, minus the food cabinet and cleaning/laundry cabinet.

http://oliverquinn.shutterfly.com/38

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
whew, I'm about finished, and took tons of pics. I figured I'd take a pic inside every cabinet to hold myself accountable. nothing to hide!!!! these are all my cabinets, minus the food cabinet and cleaning/laundry cabinet.

You are FAST! What a nice, clean space!

I'm still looking for my son's furniture, LOL. Story of my life...

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:12 AM

Okay, kitchen...here I come!!! Bwaahhh ha ha haaaaaa!!!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 PM

oh yeah. i'm in. my kitchen is a mess. i really want to get it done in the next 2 weeks so i can have a clean kitchen for the holidays.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM

My kitchen is a mess. There is just too much stuff that I don't use that takes up too much space! It's also full of big white walls - this month, I want to pick up some cheap pictures or something to hang on the walls to balance out the stark whiteness of it all. Maybe that will make me more inclined to keep the room looking nice and not let it get out of control!

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post

Wow, what a lovely kitchen. I love the salmon paint with the white cabinets!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 PM

I'm game. No promises for getting it done quickly, however. November is going to be a wash of a month for me. I go in for surgery next Monday and expect to be at home recovering for two weeks. I have a couple of problems with my kitchen right now that I would like to deal with.

#1 Our kitchen opens up to the back side of the house and we use this exterior door the most often. However, I want to sew a quilt to hang over the door and seal it off over winter. It faces west and we loose a lot of heat out this door. We need to start using the side or front door instead.

#2 The kitchen is the dumping ground for bills, mail, library books, shoes, etc. I have a lot of counter space, but it is often cluttered and it drives me nuts. I need to devise a better method for containing the clutter.

#3 My mom and MIL unpacked my kitchen stuff for me over a year ago. I HATE where they put things. I need to do a massive reorganization and purge of my kitchen tools to make it less cluttered and more usable.

Wish me luck! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and : to see what others are doing and how.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
#2 The kitchen is the dumping ground for bills, mail, library books, shoes, etc. I have a lot of counter space, but it is often cluttered and it drives me nuts. I need to devise a better method for containing the clutter.
Argh, this is true for us as well. I have no idea what to do with it all. My husband uses our kitchen for his workspace so most of the time we have his computer and papers EVERYWHERE. It drives me nuts.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 PM

My kitchen is actually the most organized of all my rooms. I don't have any drawers though! Isn't that weird? They didn't put any drawers at all when they made this place and I rent so can't do any major renos! Eventually I'd like to buy some sort of drawer unit for some extra counter space and drawer space. For now I have a bookshelf that holds my utensils and other things. There's one lower cupboard that I refuse to use for kitchen stuff b/c it's smells iccky t me and has pipes going through it!

When I have a little extra money I need to make a trip to the $ store and get a few things I'm missing like measuring cups etc... and some vegetable bins.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm making some pretty good headway. Today I scrubbed out my microwave (For something not used everyday it was pretty dirty!) I completley cleaned the counter that it was on and all though everything is on the kitchen table to be sorted before it goes anywhere I feel better about having at least one surface clean!:
Old 11-08-2008, 04:42 PM

We're in. It isn't bad, but it definitely needs work on organization etc.

Now that I'm able to be up and about more I can hopefully tackle this challenge this month

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM

I need to work on my kitchen! Here it is, it's not bad but I'm not showing pics inside the cabinets. My kids art closet it awful though and needs to be cleaned out. I'd love to get as organized as Oliver's Mom

What I need to do is add some life as well, I don't have much as far as decorations/pictures so it's a bit boring. Even a pretty table cloth would probably help, rugs for the floor... something!

stove area

table

sink (this is a bit messy)

how it looked before we moved in (I'd love it to be this uncluttered )

thanks for the motivation

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM

Glad I am not the only one whose kitchen counter is the gathering spot for all sorts of random papers and items!

Drummer's Wife and Oliver's Mama, I love both your kitchens! I'm especially jealous of all the cabinets.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 11-13-2008, 06:25 PM

Hi ladies, I’m new to this area of MDC and want to join the kitchen clean up. It’s actually a coincidence that I found this thread and so glad I did. Our kitchen is really really bad. I’m embarrassed to admit all this but I feel like once it’s out and I join this thread and move forward with organized cleanliness.

Here are our issues:

1. DH and I bought locks for the cabinets about 5 months ago. To date, he has installed 1 set to keep DS out of the dangerous dish soap, cleaning supplies, etc. The other cabinets are all unlocked and our pots, pans, Tupperware, etc NEVER stays in the cabinets. It is all over the kitchen/dining area.

2. We just don’t have a good place for our garbage can so the bags are currently on the counter and we collect our garbage there. I hate this. DH doesn’t care. I really need some ideas for where to put the garbage can so that we use it and garbage isn’t sitting on the counter.

3. DS is so messy when he eats. It does not get picked up every night. DH and I are working on this because we made an agreement that if I clean up my mess while cooking, he will clean up DS’s area while I do bath time.

4. We have general tidy up issues. It’s embarrassing so I will stop there.

5. We have a little Bar courter top between the kitchen and dining room. This area is a magnet for junk. Anything that doesn’t really have a place to go but we don’t want to throw out goes on the counter.

6. Our drawers are pretty organized other than the utensil drawer. We shove everything in their from pizza cutter, spatula, ladle, etc. I want to organize that drawer.

7. We have a huge pantry area (like 6’x6’) and it’s a complete disaster. It turned into a storage for all our crap area. I need to organize this and I think we will need to buy some shelves to get this under control.

8. All our walls are so blank. I want to hang up a picture that has been in the pantry for over a year.

Wow. Ok that’s a lot to tackle in 2 weeks. I will see if I can post before pictures later after DS is sleeping.

So can I join in? Please don't judge me too bad once you see the pics

User Tag List