What does a decluttered home look like? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I can see how much you all love your homes. I think my problem is that I don't like this house.
To be honest with you, I hated my house with a mighty passion. Every day I woke up and hated something new. But that all changed after I made it mine, so to speak. I finally hung up the pictures, decluttered a little, found space for things, unpacked boxes, and slowly I began to love the place.

It may not have been my absolute dream house, but I grew to love it!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Ok, it didn't take too long to get the new pics up on flicker. There are no notes or comments on them yet, but you can take a look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

Like everything in life, my house is a work in progress. I am constantly finding better ways to do things and rearranging. We've only been in it for 13 months now.
All of that wood and the built-ins are gorgeous!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#33 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 AM

I posted this way back at the beginning of the other photo showing thread, but here they are again. The house is still pretty much the same. Have just moved our bed onto a different wall and the kids area has been rearranged since then.

ETA: Oops, can't get my link to work...oh, here's a blog link that I did on it instead.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#34 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 11:40 AM

nathansmum, what a lovely house! I really like the orange wall in the dining room. I am not brave enough to try such a bold color. I stick with a muted pallet of green, yellow, and blue.
#35 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
All of that wood and the built-ins are gorgeous!
Yeah, it was one of the features that attracted us to the house. A friend of mine has a house in the same neighborhood. Her house is fancier and has even more built-ins in the master bedroom, dining, kitchen, and den.
#36 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the table tips! I have been scouting craigslist, but only ugly tables seem to get craigslisted in my area. Still, this gives me hope that I will be able to find a nice dining room table and chairs without breaking the bank!
#37 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
nathansmum, what a lovely house! I really like the orange wall in the dining room. I am not brave enough to try such a bold color. I stick with a muted pallet of green, yellow, and blue.
Thanks! Yeah, I love that wall. It's not bright, but a lovely eathy orange. I really want to paint kitchen an earthy/herbal green, but think it's too close in proximity to the orange wall and those aren't really a combo i'm comfortable with. I contemplated getting rid of the orange and going with the green in the kitchen but couldn't do it lol!

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#38 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Theresa, Thanks for posting your home! I am going to add mine in a few days... just need to get it a little more caught up!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#39 of 45 Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...Well, I think my home is "decluttered" but it definitely not sparse. We have to many "artifacts" to make it sparse - I think its pretty "homey". You can take a look and tell me what you think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7607150273471/

Most of these photos were taken prior to a party or some event where I picked up everything. On a typical day there is a toy train table in my living room, a stack of bills and mail on the kitchen counter, cups on the dining table, shoes by the front door, a stack of articles to read on my desk (I am working on my dissertation), a drying rack in the master bedroom and my husband often leaves his clean clothes piled on his dresser rather than in the drawers. All in all I feel like these aren't clutter, but rather part of living in the house.
Your house is lovely! I love the style of it.
#40 of 45 Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I can see how much you all love your homes. I think my problem is that I don't like this house.
I don't *love* our apartment, but I've worked really hard to make it more homey. You can always work with what you have, especially if you let the style of your home drive your decorating. If your home is modern, you'll never get that patina of age and quality of a vintage home. If your home is vintage, you'll never get the "clean slate" feeling of a modern home...you'll always be working around the home's quirks. People even manage to make RVs look great. Look around in the library and on flickr to see how people have made homes similar to yours look great. It can be so inspiring! I live in a complex, so all the homes were initially similar, but now it's amazing how different each home looks since people have individualized them in the last 7 years with their paint, furnishings, built-ins, renos, etc. Even homes with the exact same floorplan as mine look sooo different.

Also, something that may sound flakey if you're not familiar with it is feng shui. I now have a lot of respect for feng shui wisdom, which is based on facilitating positive energy flow throughout the home. It has helped me to identify what it is about some rooms/homes that makes me uneasy. The cool thing is that there are always "cures" to feng shui problems, and they are generally do-able and not super costly. This is a great book.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#41 of 45 Old 11-07-2008, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We are a family of five living in a 1,200 square foot home. I feel like I have gotten rid of pretty much every single thing we don't need and/or love.

Kitchen

Living room from the kitchen

Other side of living room (complete with sleeping baby on couch!)

Master bedroom

Master bathroom (sorry, my clothes are already laid out for tomorrow!)

Toilet area ('cause I know you want to see my crapper! )

Master bath sinks/vanity (and me in the mirror! )

Laundry room

Office/toy room/kids' TV/video game room (hate all the cords everywhere!)

More of the multipurpose room

Kids' bathroom

DD's half of the kids' room

DS1's space

Dresser and all of DD's toys (she can't part with any of her babies--how freaky does Snow White's face look peering out from that bin?!)

Anyway, that's it. I like our little house.
#42 of 45 Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 AM

subbing so I can come back and read when I'm not falling asleep.
#43 of 45 Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 AM

Becoming, I am coming to steal your bathtub. *drool*

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#44 of 45 Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Also, something that may sound flakey if you're not familiar with it is feng shui. I now have a lot of respect for feng shui wisdom, which is based on facilitating positive energy flow throughout the home. It has helped me to identify what it is about some rooms/homes that makes me uneasy. The cool thing is that there are always "cures" to feng shui problems, and they are generally do-able and not super costly. This is a great book.
I second this book! I "loosely" follow feng shui guidelines in my home and landscaping. It really makes a difference in how a space is perceived.
#45 of 45 Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Lindsay, I adore your house! It's very similar in layout to mom's, but hers is SO cluttered. I am going to show her this thread the next time I'm there in hopes of inspiring her to declutter!

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page