Sshh! I think my decluttering/cleaning bug has caught DH! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But I am not going to say that to him or it might go away! LOL
I have always been a declutterer and organized person but dh is the opposite so a few weeks ago I decided to approach him in a different way than I have in the past and it seems to have worked.

He is a paper keeper and pile-er so I sorted his piles into boxes. For example one pile of receipts, one pile of manuals, one pile of notes etc. I did not toss anything just sorted. Then the next time he asked to use my car to go surfing I said sure but only if you go through one box sometime this weekend and he did without complaining about it. I told him to just put them into piles of his own toss, shred or file and I would do the rest. So the next time he wants to use my car he can do the next box! Yes I stooped to bargaining but at this point I don't care as it was getting out of hand.

He has now noticed how nice his desk is and how he can find everything so that gave him a boost. He has since hung up his surfboards with racks that I bought him and cleaned out the wood/junk pile in the backyard and dumped it! He is making a list each week of the things he wants to get done and actually does them.

I casually mention how such and such looks nice but not to enthusiastically or it might just scare him off.

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 PM

Yay. Isn't it cool. Everyone says it can't be done but it is possilble.

We got new windows and had to move around a lot of stuff. He did finally get his desk cleared off, mostly.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Woo hoo!!! :d

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 AM

That is a nice tip! I might just sort some things out for DH... but what to use for his motivator... he doesn't surf!

User Tag List