a simpler nightstand alternative? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dh has always had is grandma's old bedroom set (think 70's heavy, bulky, gawdy wood stuff).. every few years we find an excuse to shed a piece, and I have the sudden urge to get rid of the two nightstands.. the storage inside are clutter magnets, and ds has discovered how to get inside. they also take up precious floor space and look ugly and dated, among other things.
Anyone have ideas/pictures of something other than the typical nightstand? I'm looking small.. just needs to hold a tiny lamp, clock, glass of water, and book. Preferably open floor space, as the heat vent is right next to the bed (unavoidable) so right now my nightstand is like more than a food away from the bed. I was thinking maybe one of those floating shelves, but I worry ds may try to climb on it and tear it down.
This sounds awful demanding for just a nightstand, doesnt it??

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#2 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 AM

A shelf mounted using the correct hardware with most of these brackets would be pretty sturdy .

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#3 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM

i am looking for one too, and the only one i can find that meets my requirements (which are similar to yours) is at evilmart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5715494
#4 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM

I think a shelf is a good idea. I always like that look when I see it in magazines. Be sure to mount it with wall anchors to keep it from being pulled down. If you have an IKEA near you, they offer a lot of wall-mounted shelves.

I took a different strategy to control clutter on the night stand. I use a small drawer that I found in the trash to keep things like my jewelry, hankies, and books. You can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7607150273471/

My husband has a small shelf that we bough second hand and painted, because he always reads before going to bed. He often has too many books on it, but it's still not too cluttered. Here it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7607150273471/.
#5 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM

I second (or third) The wall shelf idea. Maybe you could also invest in wall sconces for lamps instead of regular lamps? Then if your ds gets to them he can't pull the lamp down. Think of how nice it would be to sweep or mop under the side tables if they're off the floor!
#6 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM

We have some old, vintage suicases that we stakced together to create a small table next to our couch. You could do something similar with vintage style crates. We've also used a TV tray with a small scarf hanging over it.
#7 of 21 Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 PM

I have a $15 wood stool from Target that I repurposed as a bedside table. Might be too little space on top for your needs, but you could always look for a bigger top.

lady.gif
#8 of 21 Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 PM

I also use a repurposed old kitchen stool. I removed the vinyl and padding and screwed a new top on it- just a bit larger circle of wood. It has metal legs. Simple and open.

You could look at accent or occasional tables, end tables or plant stands.
There are many choices there that could suit your needs.

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/plantstands.html

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 21 Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM

#10 of 21 Old 11-07-2008, 04:04 PM

We use old vintage suitcases stacked on top of each other and then store out of season clothing within. However, with your heat vent that might not be a good fit for your family.

What about a small open table? We have several small tables that have one shelf on them in addition to the top. Can put a basket on the shelf to catch small items that you like to be handy like lip balm or kleenex, etc. With the open shelf/ table the heat vent shouldn't be an issue, it can pass right thru/ around so long as you limit how much stuff you put on the shelf. You can paint to desired color.

Maybe something like this? (ramdomly grabbed a pitcure online)
http://nakedfurnitureofmilwaukee.com...ble-p-681.html

We have 2 little tables like this, but our shelf is much higher thou, more like in the middle of the legs instead of at the bottom. Very handy and have been in different places all around the house over the years. Honestly, we found ours set out for trash in the alley, but maybe could find something like them at a thrift store or on Criagslist.

This Ikea link is more like what we have, ours are a bit bigger/longer instead of a squarish, more like a larger rectange and no drawer, but this is set up works great for us. I don't think ours are quite as tall as this one, but it's very like it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90121234

Plus, they are very versitile and can be used all around the house should your needs change over the years... plant stand, accent table, foyer table to catch keys, side tabel for the couch/ by a stand alone easy chair, etc, etc.
#11 of 21 Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 PM

we purchased some pillars and use them as night stands. we have also put them in our foyer with glass between them.. they are versatile and classy.

http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2002/09/05/kit315.3_e.jpg
#12 of 21 Old 11-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
We have some old, vintage suicases that we stakced together to create a small table next to our couch. You could do something similar with vintage style crates. We've also used a TV tray with a small scarf hanging over it.
Ooh, I love that idea. I was trying to explain it to DH for our bedroom several months ago and he just did.not.get.it.
Do you have a picture?
#13 of 21 Old 11-08-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I have a $15 wood stool from Target that I repurposed as a bedside table. Might be too little space on top for your needs, but you could always look for a bigger top.
I like that idea too...
#14 of 21 Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 PM

We are currently using an African bongo drum (similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Djembe-Drum-Ha...190419&sr=8-24) as a night stand...
#15 of 21 Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
We are currently using an African bongo drum (similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Djembe-Drum-Ha...190419&sr=8-24) as a night stand...

oh -- I think that looks really cool.
I do homestaging and I may use that idea for a boys room.
#16 of 21 Old 11-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Our headboard is kind of like a shelf on stilts. This takes up no extra floor space. We have one for our ds, too, and he puts animals and books on it. Ours houses a few books/notebooks, a lamp, and an alarm clock.
#17 of 21 Old 11-14-2008, 06:10 PM

Ikea has several options depending on your style.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#18 of 21 Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 PM

I just use a nice wooden chair for my nightstand. It suits its purpose and I can throw my clothes or pajamas over it if I am in a rush. It holds my books and I have a light that is fixed to the wall.
#19 of 21 Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 PM

We use our dressers. DH and I each have one, and they fit perfectly in the space on the wall on either side of the bed. They're a few inches taller than the bed which I guess isn't the norm for bedside tables, but it works!
#20 of 21 Old 11-16-2008, 07:31 AM

We have a WalMart college dorm endtable thingy. It's basically 2 boards standing up in an X shape, with a board on top. You could make something like that. Our bed is on the floor and this is a really short table, so it's great for us.

I have a lamp, alarm clock, thermometer, some massage oil and hand lotion on it. Adult goodies you might normally hide in the drawer can be stashed in the underwear drawer away from the kiddo.
#21 of 21 Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a bookcase on my side, with just a lamp (and a stack of books, of course) on top.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page