Stupid things you collected - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beanie Babies and Precious Moments figurines. I have 2 large Rubbermaid tubs in my basement full of this stuff. I wish I could unload them somewhere for some cash. I hate to even think about the amount of $$ wasted on them.
#32 of 39 Old 11-14-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
And I thought I was the only one!

I have old blue mason jars filled with rocks from vacation. Each jar is used only for a specific place and all are labeled.

I have recently been thinking that the jars must go. But then again, I always wanted one of those rock polishers......
Duh, ROCKS! How could I forget rocks! I've been collecting rocks and fossils practically since infancy. I also keep mine organized. And someone else mentioned sand. I also collect sand/soil from all over. I don't collect a lot, just a tiny vial with a lid and I keep them in my office.
#33 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
And I thought I was the only one!

I have old blue mason jars filled with rocks from vacation. Each jar is used only for a specific place and all are labeled.

I have recently been thinking that the jars must go. But then again, I always wanted one of those rock polishers......
OH they're freakishly loud and annoying, and you have to listen to it for WEEKS while the rocks tumble! My sister had one as a kid, it got demoted to the basement garage and after the first use I don't think it ever got turned on again.

As a kid I collected Beanie Babies and Breyer horses. I still keep my favorite horses, and buy one or two a year but I don't really keep up with it anymore. I didn't just collect those things as a kid though. I played with them and got lots of use, so while a lot of money did go into the items it was mostly worth it.
#34 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Nowadays I don't collect anything...I'm trying to RID my life of clutter!

However back in the day I used to collect, still have some of, and can't seem to get rid of:

rocks
shells
stuffed animals
gum wrappers (to make those chain thingies)
postcards from travels
brochures from travels
pencils (I have a whole pencil box full of unsharpened pencils that came from the 25 cent pencil machine)
stickers
charms (you know, the plastic kind that hung off of a plastic chain necklace-anyone remember those?)

Ok well maybe I do collect some stuff still:

jars
natural parenting books
cookbooks
kitchen appliances

But these things are useful! So I feel they are justified.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#35 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 04:50 PM

Re:rock polisher

[QUOTE=oneKnight;12625555]OH they're freakishly loud and annoying, and you have to listen to it for WEEKS while the rocks tumble! My sister had one as a kid, it got demoted to the basement garage and after the first use I don't think it ever got turned on again.
QUOTE]

Since my post about my yearning for a rock polisher, I heard some amusing clip (I think it was on NPR) that joked about all rock polishers are only ever used once before the novelty wears off!

A close friend has a huge collection of Precious Moments.

The first time DH went to her house, he whispered to me "those ceramic babies are freaking my out."

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#36 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM

OK, rocks will sound like a pretty great collection when I tell you what I had in middle school: Hanson paraphernalia. Yes, I admit it, 12 years ago I was an MMMBopper through and through. I had like 32 posters on my bedroom wall at one time!!! I cannot believe my parents allowed me to spend so much time/money/emotion on that band. I was on the internet for hours at a time chatting about them! Why didn't they throw me outside and make me - I don't know- play soccer or something?!
#37 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 PM

Pez despinsers
Keys
rusted tools
mushroom stuff
vintage clothing
fabric
CRAFT BOOKS!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#38 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
OK, rocks will sound like a pretty great collection when I tell you what I had in middle school: Hanson paraphernalia. Yes, I admit it, 12 years ago I was an MMMBopper through and through. I had like 32 posters on my bedroom wall at one time!!! I cannot believe my parents allowed me to spend so much time/money/emotion on that band. I was on the internet for hours at a time chatting about them! Why didn't they throw me outside and make me - I don't know- play soccer or something?!
That's how my niece is currently about the Jonas brothers

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#39 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM

minature teas sets
bears pooh stuff
pens
post cards
fav authos (just their books lol)
key chains
beanie babies
spoons
maps

dp collects a bunch of stuff

only thing i still collect are pens and books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page