Mothering Forum banner

Stupid things you collected

2K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  PassionateWriter 
#1 ·
I've been going through boxes of things from different parts of my life, and I'm amazed at the junk I've collected. I think I must be part crow.

Over the years I've collected:
  • magnets
  • key chains
  • stickers
  • gum wrappers
  • bouncy balls
  • ribbons
  • hair scrunchies
  • Chevron Cars
  • McDonald toys
  • Burger King toys
  • Beanie Babies
  • computer gadgets
So what collections have you wasted money on?

#27 ·
I have a small collection of postcards with hearts on them. I bought them from card shops when I traveled in Europe. The last one I bought was from NYC. They are now in little clip frames on the wall near my bed. I have 5 of them.

I also collect purses! I used to have some really cool vintage ones I got when I was a teenager,but got rid of them b/c I didn't use them and also didn't see the value in them as I would today. I regret getting rid of them. I do still have a cool one that a friend made me when I was 15! Most I don't use and they are all sitting in a pile on my desk right now
I'm trying to figure out how to display them. Maybe on a coat rack that I saw at the second hand store,if it's still there tomorrow.

I have tons of those free postcards from my travels as well that I might frame,just not sure where to put them though.

I started to collect magnets from my travels and coffee mugs as well.

My favorite collection is my Christmas ornaments though from when I traveled. My first one I got is from Paris and it's Santa on the Eifelle Tower!

#30 ·
Things I've collected:

Bears ~ stuffed , figurines, cherished teddies, boyds bears, cups with bears on them...
Rabbits~ same as bears
pigs ~ same as bears and bunnies
Beanie babies
tea pots
tea cups
unicorns
horses
erasers
stickers
post cards
precious moments (anyone want to buy a collections

strawberries (my kitchen was done in strawberries)
barbies
dolls
my little pony

__________________________________________________ ______

Things I still collect:
Rocks~ neat rocks I find while walking, river stones, beach glass, tumbles stones, gems, crystals.....
plants~ inside and outside
twigs, feathers, leaves, drift wood, bits of nature that feels right.....

Books~ I LOVE books!

#32 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
And I thought I was the only one!

I have old blue mason jars filled with rocks from vacation. Each jar is used only for a specific place and all are labeled.

I have recently been thinking that the jars must go. But then again, I always wanted one of those rock polishers......
Duh, ROCKS! How could I forget rocks! I've been collecting rocks and fossils practically since infancy. I also keep mine organized. And someone else mentioned sand. I also collect sand/soil from all over. I don't collect a lot, just a tiny vial with a lid and I keep them in my office.

#33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
And I thought I was the only one!

I have old blue mason jars filled with rocks from vacation. Each jar is used only for a specific place and all are labeled.

I have recently been thinking that the jars must go. But then again, I always wanted one of those rock polishers......
OH they're freakishly loud and annoying, and you have to listen to it for WEEKS while the rocks tumble! My sister had one as a kid, it got demoted to the basement garage and after the first use I don't think it ever got turned on again.

As a kid I collected Beanie Babies and Breyer horses. I still keep my favorite horses, and buy one or two a year but I don't really keep up with it anymore. I didn't just collect those things as a kid though. I played with them and got lots of use, so while a lot of money did go into the items it was mostly worth it.

#35 ·
Re:rock polisher

OH they're freakishly loud and annoying, and you have to listen to it for WEEKS while the rocks tumble! My sister had one as a kid, it got demoted to the basement garage and after the first use I don't think it ever got turned on again.
QUOTE]

Since my post about my yearning for a rock polisher, I heard some amusing clip (I think it was on NPR) that joked about all rock polishers are only ever used once before the novelty wears off!

A close friend has a huge collection of Precious Moments.

The first time DH went to her house, he whispered to me "those ceramic babies are freaking my out."

#34 ·
Nowadays I don't collect anything...I'm trying to RID my life of clutter!

However back in the day I used to collect, still have some of, and can't seem to get rid of:

rocks
shells
stuffed animals
gum wrappers (to make those chain thingies)
postcards from travels
brochures from travels
pencils (I have a whole pencil box full of unsharpened pencils that came from the 25 cent pencil machine)
stickers
charms (you know, the plastic kind that hung off of a plastic chain necklace-anyone remember those?)

Ok well maybe I do collect some stuff still:

jars
natural parenting books
cookbooks
kitchen appliances

But these things are useful! So I feel they are justified.

#36 ·
OK, rocks will sound like a pretty great collection when I tell you what I had in middle school: Hanson paraphernalia. Yes, I admit it, 12 years ago I was an MMMBopper through and through. I had like 32 posters on my bedroom wall at one time!!! I cannot believe my parents allowed me to spend so much time/money/emotion on that band. I was on the internet for hours at a time chatting about them! Why didn't they throw me outside and make me - I don't know- play soccer or something?!

#38 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
OK, rocks will sound like a pretty great collection when I tell you what I had in middle school: Hanson paraphernalia. Yes, I admit it, 12 years ago I was an MMMBopper through and through. I had like 32 posters on my bedroom wall at one time!!! I cannot believe my parents allowed me to spend so much time/money/emotion on that band. I was on the internet for hours at a time chatting about them! Why didn't they throw me outside and make me - I don't know- play soccer or something?!
That's how my niece is currently about the Jonas brothers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.