The secret to staying on top of laundry:) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I finally figured it out! We haven't been able to sit on the couch in ummm.... a long time becasue its always covered in a ton of laundry I need to put away. Well a while back I heard the tip of "only watching TV when your folding laundry". Well problem was I never watch TV. Well I found www.surfthechannel.com and have been watching old shows or movies for 1-2 hours each night after the kids are in bed and shockingly I am folding and putting away 3-5 loads of laundry in that time and I don't even notice I'm doing it! (catching up on laundry and pulling out winter stuff) I HATE folding and putting away laundry, I'll wash it no problem but putting it away? ugh! Do it while watching TV and wow, I have my couch back!

I also put appliance locks on the closets and a padlock on the one that actually had holes to do so and its the one I keep all the sheets in which is a major source of fort cities and creating MORE laundry. They liked to pull everything out to build forts and stuff and it would get mixed with the dirty laundry they would drag in too or they would get it dirty period so I had to rewash it again and it was creating a vicious cycle that was really really ticking me off.

Seriously?
#2 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just doing it is the answer isn't it? I struggle with the same thing.
#3 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I ended up buying more laundry baskets for the clean laundry. Not very constructive, but it's better than seeing it all piled up on my bed. But then if it was on my bed maybe I would actually put it away? this is making me think about how I should do just that with the 4 baskets of clothes!
#4 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
They liked to pull everything out to build forts and stuff and it would get mixed with the dirty laundry they would drag in too or they would get it dirty period so I had to rewash it again and it was creating a vicious cycle that was really really ticking me off.
I can totally see how annoying that would be! But fort-building is so great for kids, maybe keep a couple scroungy sheets around that they can build with and then store in a basket in their closet when they're not using. Knowing that they must stay out of the linen closet! (well, you've got a lock now)
#5 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 02:24 PM

cool.

I found out when I was pregnant with my third, that if the kids had clothes organized by drawer, that they could run back and forth and put all their own stuff away. Sometimes they even think it's fun So I throw clothes at them and they put their stuff away.

I agree baskets help too. too few baskets equals time wasted running back and forth. You need clean baskets.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#6 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
Just doing it is the answer isn't it?
LOL I think that's the only way to get over procrastination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum View Post
I ended up buying more laundry baskets for the clean laundry.
My solution includes eliminating all baskets except for one because laundry just piled up in the baskets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
if the kids had clothes organized by drawer, that they could run back and forth and put all their own stuff away. Sometimes they even think it's fun
One of my kids LOVES to help in this manner. The other one has always hated it. But my dd that hates it has a dresser in a room where no one sleeps. So I can put her clothes into a pile and put them away after the kids are in bed.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#7 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM

And I thought I was going to read that you had decided to go nude!

I agree that locking up the sheets is a good idea. I need to figure something out with the towels and the kids it would be one thing if they actually used them to dry off with after baths, but for capes while playing super hero... aggghhh I could pull my hair out sometimes!
#8 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM

My secret is to just fold/hang them straight as they come ouf ot the dryer still warm. It eliminates a lot of ironing, too. My mom used to have the laundry couch in her room when I was growing up.
#9 of 35 Old 11-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
My secret is to just fold/hang them straight as they come ouf ot the dryer still warm. It eliminates a lot of ironing, too. My mom used to have the laundry couch in her room when I was growing up.
Yeah, that. That's how I do it always. We NEVER have a pile on the couch. I only start as much laundry as I can finish that day, so it doesn't sit.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#10 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 AM

But what I REALLY want to know is why does it feel like there is AT LEAST one load of laundry to do every.single.day??? We are only three people. And my dh and I wear things more than once. Ugh.
#11 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 AM

I also fold as it comes out of the dryer. I don't like having it piled up in any phase of doing it. I have to do two loads a day to stay caught up but there are six of us.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#12 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I ended up buying more laundry baskets for the clean laundry. Not very constructive, but it's better than seeing it all piled up on my bed. But then if it was on my bed maybe I would actually put it away? this is making me think about how I should do just that with the 4 baskets of clothes!
Glad I am not the only one who does this. Of course, once clothes are tossed in the laundry baskets they tend to live there until someone needs to wear it! I should start doing something about that (but I really HATE laundry).

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#13 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erynw View Post
But what I REALLY want to know is why does it feel like there is AT LEAST one load of laundry to do every.single.day??? We are only three people. And my dh and I wear things more than once. Ugh.

Us too...sigh.

We use our bath towels at least twice and wear things more than once. I think part of our problem is we change into comfy clothes as soon as we get home so even with multiple wearings, we still have two changes per day.

I also seem to wash coats frequently. DS and DH get dirty the minute they walk outside.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 PM

I had this laundry epiphany a while back. I don't know if I actually thought it up myself, or read it here, or saw it on Jon & Kate +8....anyhoo...here it is, my secret to staying on top of the laundry.

Everyone has their own basket. So simple. I used to have way too many laundry baskets. Way to easy to let stuff pile up. Now everyone has a small laundry basket, labeled with a Sharpie with their name on it.

My big hang up with laundry was always putting it away. I'd have, usually at least 2 big baskets of clean stuff (after doing yet another laundry marathon) and then they would sit upstairs for a few days, with us rifling through them looking for clean stuff. Putting stuff away always took me FOREVER. Because the basket was a hodge podge of my stuff, DH's and all 3 of the boys. I'd have the basket on my bed and be emptying it and going from my room, to the twins' room, to Ben's room over and over....

Now there is a basket for me & DH. One for the twins. And one for Ben. So I guess I should clarify. Not everyone has their own basket, but rather one basket per bedroom. Laundry gets sorted as I take it out of the dryer and fold it. Then I take each basket to it's designated room and it takes me only a few minutes to put in drawers....it used to take me an eternity....
#15 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM

I fold while watching TV or movies, which I learned from my mother, but DH won't because he can't (or refuses) to multi task. It makes me so mad!!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#16 of 35 Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 AM

My big problem is getting it put away, because it's usually while the kids are sleeping that I'm folding. If they're up, I can get them to help. Maybe I should restructure their schedules.

My other big, big problem: SOCKS! They live in their own hamper, and hardly ever get folded. Any ideas for that one?

Mommy to kids

#17 of 35 Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
My big problem is getting it put away, because it's usually while the kids are sleeping that I'm folding. If they're up, I can get them to help. Maybe I should restructure their schedules.

My other big, big problem: SOCKS! They live in their own hamper, and hardly ever get folded. Any ideas for that one?
Socks were the bane of my existence! I found a really simple solution... buy new socks

Seriously, everyone got new socks and we got rid of all the old socks and now everyone has the same brand and color style. For example all mine say Hanes in pink on the toes. 8 yr old has purple toes and heels and 2 yr olds have grey toes and heals so matching them up is a breeze now.

Seriously?
#18 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 AM

"I support gay marriage because I believe gays have a right to be just as miserable as the rest of us."

i'm so sorry your signature totally caught me off guard. i have tears in my eyes!!! yes, let everyone be miserable - good idea!

*ahem*

laundry. my arch nemesis. i have 3 (4?) baskets of clean (now clean with dust) laundry sitting in our bedroom. not to mention the previously clean clothes that my kids decide to pull out and left floating on the bedroom floor. if i don't do 2 loads of laundry everyday, then there is a pile on the floor. i don't know why? we are only 2 adults, 2 kids - 2 kids who are almost always naked 24-7. i don't go anywhere, i am practically in my pj's or trackies all day.... dh doesn't generate much laundry at all either....

do they breed at night? what the heck is going on with all these clothes?

so you bought new socks for everyone? i thought of doing this but the frugal part of me says to carry on using them and just suffer trying to find the matching pair. i hate socks with a passion. for me, hell would be a room filled with unmatched socks all waiting for me to sort through.
#19 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
I ended up buying more laundry baskets for the clean laundry. Not very constructive, but it's better than seeing it all piled up on my bed.
You use baskets? I use my bedroom floor.... :
#20 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamelia View Post
so you bought new socks for everyone? i thought of doing this but the frugal part of me says to carry on using them and just suffer trying to find the matching pair. i hate socks with a passion. for me, hell would be a room filled with unmatched socks all waiting for me to sort through.
The $30 or so I spent on socks for everyone(we needed new socks anyway) Was more then worth spending the next year going crazy trying to match up socks and always ending up with unmated socks.

Seriously?
#21 of 35 Old 11-15-2008, 06:56 PM

We have a load a day too! It's nuts. DC get wet and dirty all the time and DH and I work out so it seems we always have dirty stuff.

I turn each load on as it is full. I also have a family closet so I just put the clean clothes in the closet and can then put them all away (walk-in closet). Once in a while they will build up in the closet, but usually I put them away a load at a time.

I never watch TV and would go nuts if I had laundry in the living room. I hate leaving clean laundry around because dirty laundry always seems to get mixed with.
#22 of 35 Old 11-16-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erynw View Post
I can't immagine this. DH and I do 2 loads of laundry per week. When we had a front loader we crammed it all in one load.

For me, when I stay at home I wear the same thing most of the week. We both have some "lounge pants" that we change into at home and we usually wear them a few hours a day all week long. DH wears 2 pairs of jeans to work all week with a fresh shirt every day. I did the same thing when I worked too, 2 pairs of jeans and fresh shirts. We use the same towels all week because we're always clean when we use them. Just make sure they hang up and dry between uses.

I hang all the clothes to line dry. I hate matching the socks, so sometimes in nice weather I match them as I take them down from the clothesline. It forces me to actually DO it, then all I have left is sorting underwear and putting it up. I hang shirts on hangers straight out of the washer, then they go straight from the line to the closet. Pants are easy to hang up so I don't mind doing them.
#23 of 35 Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 AM

I also used to, until very recently, have 3-5 loads of laundry in a big pile in my bedroom. I just never wanted to touch it because it made me so depressed and was such drudge work. After promising myself I'd give flylady a serious, persistent try, I considered the laundry pile a "hotspot" and set the timer and worked on it for five minutes every day.

I've been laundry-pile-free for a month! I do a load every day, even if it's a small one, unless I know for sure I don't have time to wash, dry, and fold that same day. I try to fold the clothes right out of the dryer, do it while we watch tv or the girls are playing around me, and put everything away as soon as I'm done.

With baby #3 on the way, it is just so empowering and relieving to know that I have the laundry (and a lot of the housework) under control and can hopefully keep it that way!
#24 of 35 Old 11-18-2008, 02:51 AM

Laundry for me has to be a family event. :
My kids throw all the clothes down from the upstairs to the downstairs and sort into darks, lights, whites, towels, everyday. I wash 2 loads a day. I hang right out of the dryer. Everything is hung except for DS clothes, and pajamas, underwear and socks. Each child has a bucket with their name on it. I have a shelf that all the buckets sit on. I throw their stuff that is not hung up in their basket but I do not fold them. Sock, underwear and Pajamas don't need folding. The kids have to empty their baskets once a week. I tell them to fold their pajamas but I don't really care if they wear wrinkled clothes to bed. I bought 10.00 hanging rack from the container store that attaches onto their closet hanging bar so that they can reach their hanging clothes. So even my 4 year old takes their clothes on hangers from the laundry room to their closet and hangs them up.
It is my 14 year olds job to put her hanging clothes and mine and my dh's into our closets. Oh and I also don't turn anything right side out. How ever it comes out of the dryer is how I hang it. I figure the kids can turn it on their own. Not turning things really makes it all go faster...try it!

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#25 of 35 Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
I can't immagine this. DH and I do 2 loads of laundry per week. When we had a front loader we crammed it all in one load.

For me, when I stay at home I wear the same thing most of the week. We both have some "lounge pants" that we change into at home and we usually wear them a few hours a day all week long. DH wears 2 pairs of jeans to work all week with a fresh shirt every day. I did the same thing when I worked too, 2 pairs of jeans and fresh shirts. We use the same towels all week because we're always clean when we use them.
Have to say, when you have baby or small children, it's a bit different.

Right now with my 9 mo old I am having to change my shirt like 3 times a day. He's drooly, he has a runny nose which I wipe constantly, but still, I don't look fresh after a couple hours.

I try to be mindful of not creating unneccessary laundry, my kids re-wear their pajamas, for ex. But still, I have a load's worth every day or 2.
#26 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 PM

We have easily 1-2 loads per day...how do some of you guys do it, seriously?

basically, per week, we have a bare minimum of 2 loads of diapers, 1 load of dd, 1 load of ds, 1 load of me, 2 loads for dh, 1 load of towels, and then there always seems to be a few more loads that sneak in...sheets, blankies, an extra load of dipes, or dd's clothes (we're in potty accident hell half the time) random stuff like kitchen towels and cleaning rags, etc...so generally, at LEAST 10 loads per week.....

CPST
#27 of 35 Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 AM

I do laundry twice a week, about 2-3 loads on each of those days.
It's just three of us, but I change hand towels every day, and my kitchen towels often too. (I am doing chemo so I do that for infection control) I use reusable microfiber cloths to clean with, and they add up too.
And I am allergic to dustmites, so I wash all my bedding every 2 weeks in hot water.

I am the type that doesn't start laundry unless I will finish it that day. We have a damp basement so it mildews fast. My bed is my folding station. I like my bed clear so I always do the folding and putting away.
I grew up with a laundry couch as well, and I hated it!
So I usually throw in a couple of loads during the day, and I always make sure they are up and folded before bedtime.

I also wash ds's clothes separately. I have a hamper in his room and when it's full, I do a load for him. It's easier to sort and put away because I know it's all his and the socks don't get mixed up.
#28 of 35 Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Wow this is the thread for me. I feel like I've entered a support group of some kind. Laundry (and clutter) but especially laundry is one of my largest problems in the house. I hate doing it and I am never caught up. The thing is my Mom will come and visit and within 2 days she'll have my laundry room emptied out and all our drawers full of neatly folded clean clothes. Within a week after we're back to laundry nightmare again. I feel so lost sometimes drowning in the laundry.
Anyhow now I know I'm not alone...so thank you all for that
#29 of 35 Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 PM

I can't see my love seat right now because so much laundry is on there. *sigh*
#30 of 35 Old 11-24-2008, 05:40 AM

I do laundry once a week, period. No matter how much I have to wash. I do it on Saturdays when DH is home to help with the kids (3 under 4) and just go go go until it's all done. We have multiple laundry baskets that I just heap all the clean clothes into and then they go in our living room on "the bench". DH bought me this gorgeous French provincial wrought iron bench that is exquisite to look at but totally uncomfortable to sit on even with cushions (scrolly back etc...) so that is where the baskets go. Then we fold everything while we're watching TV Sunday night. And then I can admire my pretty but otherwise useless bench for another week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page