how to live in a small space.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are expecting our first child in march and have been looking for a 3 bedroom but its not looking hopeful, so we might have to stay in our 850(ish?) square feet 2 bedroom duplex.

Its in a great location- the thing that makes it hard is the SPACE. I am feeling cramped.. but I know if I had an interior decorator to help me she could show me how to make it work better!!

We will have to get rid of our desk in the 2nd bedroom to make room for baby stuff.. maybe we will end up putting a small table in the living room ( if thats even possible) as some sort of " desk" area..

I have about 4 large boxes of my old kid stuff that I am just storing here in the closet which is taking up a lot of space.. I think I am going to see if I can store them at my dads house

Maybe I will take pictures and that will help you to help me?!

I think the biggest concern of having two bedrooms will be not having and office and not having my own sort of desk space

how do YOU do it, living in small spaces with lots of people and stuff?
#2 of 48 Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

We are in a two bedroom with dd who is 3.5 and we would easily have another baby in here.

Are you planning on cosleeping? I would so highly recommend it, not only for attachment sake, but for space saving -- even if you all don't sleep in the exact same bed, why not sidecar babe's crib for a while and have storage underneath for his/her things? Babies really don't need much at all -- it is when they get older that they start accumulating things

Is there a way you can make the second bedroom do double-duty as an office/nursery if you are not planning on cosleeping? I saw they did something to that effect on HGTV -- not sure which show but it looked great! It was a guest room/nursery/office -- oh, I think it was Colorsplash -- google it and perhaps you will find something!

Also, have you thought about doing more decluttering? We live completely comfortably in about 1000 sf for the three of us, two bedroom -- and like I said, we could completely welcome one or even two more babes in here because we have gotten rid of so much stuff and a lot of our stuff does double duty. For instance, our kitchen *look through* countertop is our *desk* for our laptop. The drawer underneath the countertop houses the laptop when we need the space, and the cabinet under that is for all our *office* stuff. No need for a desk. Our bookshelf houses our TV (it is not too big), no TV stand or "entertianment center". Dd's room doesn't have a lot of toys at all -- we spend a lot of time being creative with "non" toys (like sticks, rocks, empty boxes etc that can be decluttered when we are finished with them).

You just have to think outside the box.

Congrats on your new babe!
#3 of 48 Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM

we live in a 2-bedroom townhome, probably around 900 sq ft, and it works out great. We had the same dilemma with the "office" once the baby came along. At first, we had our desk set up in the living room, but once ds became mobile, he was getting all into the drawers and computer cords, so it's now in our bedroom (I'm not crazy about that, but it's out of sight, in a corner)
I bet if you do a good de-cluttering of your house, you'll start to see the possibilities of how you can reorganize and rearrange things.
Sorry to say, but I cringed for a moment when you said you have 4 large boxes of old kid stuff in the closet that you may send to your dad's for storage! My guess is, if it's your childhood stuff it was probably at your dad's house to begin with.. either way, don't put the burden back on someone else. Go through it before the baby comes, and only keep what's truly truly dear to you.. I had a hard time with this.. I wanted to keep everything from my childhood because of the memories it created, and my favorite excuse "I kept it for 20 years.. how can I toss it now?". The big issue is your "old life" is getting in the way of your "new life".. your new baby deserves a nice clutter free space of their own, and it's time to make new memories and not be bogged down by old ones, and to set a good example for your child. Just keep a few select pieces you love, and perhaps display them on a shelf in the baby's room. dh and I share one "memory box".... we only kept things like our diplomas, our wedding invitation and the like, a few cards from when we dated, and then from my childhood I have my newborn tshirt, my mickeymouse hat, a couple shells from a memorable vacation, my childhood "leftie" scissors (that's a silly one, but they're special to me), and a couple pieces of gradeschool artwork and writings. I got rid of everything else: stuffed animals, knickknacks, report cards, yearbooks, newspapers. Sure it's nice and it's memories, but it's just stuff.. I won't lose my identity when I toss it.
Enough rambling! hope it helped.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#4 of 48 Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Congrats!

I second the thinking outside the box. We live in 920-something square feet with our DS and our menagerie of animals. We could easily have more children in this house, and have no plans of moving.

First, get rid of stuff. Seriously, if you don't do it now, you'll be doing it when the baby's here and you'll be stressed. (Does this sound like the voice of experience or what? ) Our DS has a bookshelf in the living room for toys, and DH and I each have one for our "toys" in the second bedroom. That's all the toy space we allow ourselves. I have an addiction to books, so we've filled lots of empty wall space lining the ceiling (where nothing ever is put) with shelves to hold them. If they don't fit in our ceiling shelves, they have to be traded with another book so that they do.

We also cosleep, and put our bed in the smaller of the bedrooms. We have a bed and the dog crate in there. That's all. Our dressers, closets, and our "study" is in the master suite. All we do is sleep in the bedroom, so it can be a little room big enough for only a bed.

If you look at a boat, lots of stuff is on the walls and underneath horizontal surfaces. Hang stuff up, get chairs and benches with storage underneath them, and pare down your life.

Living in a small place is just fantastic. You learn to appreciate what you have and you learn so much about your family. Enjoy!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#5 of 48 Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 PM

I had to laugh. We just moved out of a one-bedroom apartment that we shared with our two sons. Now we are in a two-bedroom apartment that we will share with two sons and a new daughter.

Don't think that each room has to be used traditionally, or that you have to use that room the same way the whole time you are there. Right now, one bedroom is a playroom, and everyone sleeps in the master bedroom. As the boys grow, they will want to move into sleeping in their own bedroom. Then we will continue to share the master bedroom with our daughter. (We plan to move when she's about 3 or 4-- we'll see-- then she can get her own room.)

Our dining room functions as a dining room and office space (where I am now!) (I got this idea from looking at IKEA catalogs!) Think functional for YOU, not traditional!

Our bedroom closets store more than clothes, they also store sewing items, tools, etc. It's our general storage space.

Your space will be different, but just look at it creatively and think about the way you really live. Living rooms can be sleeping rooms, too, especially with a sofa bed.

Good luck!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#6 of 48 Old 11-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
dh and I share one "memory box".... we only kept things like our diplomas, our wedding invitation and the like, a few cards from when we dated, and then from my childhood I have my newborn tshirt, my mickeymouse hat, a couple shells from a memorable vacation, my childhood "leftie" scissors (that's a silly one, but they're special to me), and a couple pieces of gradeschool artwork and writings. I got rid of everything else: stuffed animals, knickknacks, report cards, yearbooks, newspapers. Sure it's nice and it's memories, but it's just stuff.. I won't lose my identity when I toss it.
Same here, only our shared memory box is even smaller-- about an 18 inch square!

I have only one other childhood item not in the box, that is currently stored at my dad's house-- my old dollhpouse that he made for me by hand. That is being held in storage for my unborn daughter. DH has only one other thing from his childhood that is not in the box-- one of his yearbooks from highschool which we keep on the bookshelf (I threw mine away). But everything else has been released. With my wedding dress, for instance, I sold it, but I kept the peice of cloth that was trimmed from the hem when we shortened it, and folded it up in a tiny plastic bag. So it is something tiny that I keep for sentimental reasons. Another thing you can do is take pictures of special things before you let them go. Then you can keep the pictures forever. Pictures are much easier to store.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#7 of 48 Old 11-09-2008, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks girls for the suggestions.. I think I can do it.. It will just take me a while

and about the kid stuff in boxes.. it's all my collector dolls ( that I will NOT get rid of because they are collectables and worth money) and my old books that I will also not get rid of. It's not like random dolls and school memories and stuff
#8 of 48 Old 11-10-2008, 01:30 AM

We have a small two bedroom for the three of us and two cats. It is a little tight but works fine. (2.5 years ago we were 2 people in a 4 bedroom house with a finished basement and garage. We've downsized considerably.) We had a larger two bedroom apartment when we first had our son and the second bedroom was set up as an office/storage room. When we moved into this apartment we set up the second bedroom as our son's room. The desk has been in the living room and is now in the bedroom. I would love to have a small office but it works fine in the bedroom.

You can probably keep the baby in your room for a year or longer depending on how you feel it works for your family. Also the closet in my son's bedroom is storage for our stuff. He has some clothing in there but it is mostly other things. You have time to go through the stuff and decide what is important to you.

When we lived in larger homes, so much space was wasted or just used for storing stuff we did not need. In our big house we used the kitchen, bedroom, living room, bathroom and part of the office. That meant that 3 bedrooms, a dining room, garage and basement were just used to hold junk. Even in our other two bedroom the second bedroom primarily held junk. Our current apartment is small but we use all of it for living.

I know this post has turned into me telling you about our experience but my advice is to look at your stuff. What do you actually use? What are you storing in your home? Decluttering doesn't have to be done in a day. I think it is best done over time. When you use something and realize it doesn't work or you don't like it then get rid of it. When you want to make space for something new, get rid of the stuff that is just taking up space. If you aren't using something but you paid good money for it, then sell it. Either you will be able to get some money for it or realize it isn't really worth much money. The incentive of a little money can make parting with stuff easier.

Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#9 of 48 Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 AM

A couple other ideas from when we had our one-bedroom apartment--

The bedroom was just the sleeping room. I set it up with a cute country/bear theme (blue walls and pictures of bears playing in the wild on the walls). We had two beds in there (a tot bed and a queen size), and one dresser that all four of us shared (we had to trim down our wardrobes somewhat to get everything to fit in the one dresser and little closet).

The living room was large, so we set it up with one corner as a playroom, where all the toys were stored. We had downsized the toys considerably to fit the space. Another corner of the living room had the TV. On the other side, one corner of the living room had the computer desk area, and another corner was our "dining area". This was because there was no room for a table in the kitchen. In that apartment, we had more storage space in the laundry room/entry room in the back (I miss that!)

Have fun planning creatively!

#10 of 48 Old 11-10-2008, 01:45 PM

we also have our office/desk area in the dining room, in a tv armoire i found on craigslist for $20. it works really well.
#11 of 48 Old 11-10-2008, 04:40 PM

We have always lived in one or two bedroom homes. We are a couple and one child.

Our first apartment as a family was two bedrooms, two bathrooms, maybe 850 sq ft.

Our home that we bought was 2 bedrooms and one bathroom, 680 sq ft. We had a garage with that one. Honestly: it was small but we really loved it.

Our current place is one bedroom, one bathroom, and about 900 sq ft. Each room is pretty large, which helps with the feeling of openness. And the kitchen rocks. We really love this place, and the size is not too hard as long as we keep our clutter and possessions in control.
#12 of 48 Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I had to laugh. We just moved out of a one-bedroom apartment that we shared with our two sons. Now we are in a two-bedroom apartment that we will share with two sons and a new daughter.

:
3 kids here, 2 bedrooms. It's fine. Babies don't need rooms.
Ikea can help you with storage stuff etc!
Good luck
#13 of 48 Old 11-10-2008, 10:50 PM

We too live in a 2 bedroom/2bath apartment w our 2 yr old son. Originally, I thought Ds would sleep in the 2nd bedroom (our office) but he never did. I bought a nice expensive crib and everything else. He still to this day has never slept in it! The first few months he was in the colseeper or with me colseeping in our bed. After 6 months he was in our bed. I love cosleeping but DH does not so I'm trying to figure out how to make our office a kids room. The minicosleeper is awesome and you can roll anywhere. Its small and breaks down easily. I totally agree w the previous posts. Good luck!
#14 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 AM

Everyone on this forum gives such great advice! We three live in a 2 br, ~800sf apartment and are expecting a lo in a couple weeks, and I got some awesome ideas ... thanks!
#15 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 06:24 AM

One of or first homes was a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom, 650-ish sq ft. house, family of 4. One room for DH and I and the 2 kids in the other room (although DS co-slept until the last month of our lease).

It's amazing what you don't need. I think we had a bed for DH and I, a crib for DS, a toddler bed for DD, one dresser for us all, a tiny dining table w/ chairs, 2 couches, a chair, a tv stand and a coffee table. That's about it.

To make space, we double-rodded the tiny closets and hung what we could, had only the necessary baking/cooking/eating items in the kitchen, used shelves in the minuscule mud/laundry room for household items, used the space underneath the beds for storage, hung plants from the ceiling, didn't have many (if any) knick knacks o clutter the space, used the dining table as a table and desk.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#16 of 48 Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We will be 6 (by next week) living in 1000 sqft., and I think we could easily fit another kids here. Like others said, you don't need to use every room traditionally. And check out the declutter threads, there is always room to declutter. And I also agree, babies don't need rooms. Our 3 kids sleep in a room, with a day bed and a trundle under it. This new little one will co-sleep, and we also have a side-carred crib in our room, next to our queen bed. The kids crawl into the crib at different points in the night. You really need to get rid of anything you don't use, you'll be surprised how freeing this is, not only freeing up space but clears your mind too.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#17 of 48 Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM

You can definitely make it work. We're a family of four living in a 1 br, 400 sq foot home. Co-sleeping definitely helps space-wise. No need for extra beds/cribs. It also helps to be super organized and not have a lot of extra furniture/junk that you don't need. Make use of closet space (if you have it) for clothes instead of dressers or armoires. Also, make use of shelves/wall hooks for books and coats instead of stand alone coat hangers and bookshelves.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#18 of 48 Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 PM

I don't live in a small space at the moment but I wanted to share a link http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ that might give you some ideas... they often have great posts on closet offices and similar things that seem right up your alley.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/bost...uestion-068267 just an example of the closet office idea
#19 of 48 Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 PM

We just moved from a 2500 sq ft 3 bdrm apartment to a 1000 sq ft 2 bdrm apartment.
I do have to say that we lucked out with the layout we got, and that made a huge difference.
And someone mentioned IKEA. AWESOME for small space living. DD has a bed that is not only a captain's bed, but also pulls out into a king sized bed. Our sofa rolls out into a queen sized bed (all our family lives in Erie, so we are anticipating lots of visits while we are in San Antonio!).
Our kitchen isn't too big, but the Container Store has awesome storage ideas for utilizing doors, putting extra shelves in cabinets, under shelf storage w/in the cabinets.
We have two walk-in closets and an outdoor storage closet, but using closet organizers for the two walk-in closets let us really utilize the space within them. And we even have the dressers in the master bdrm closet!
The only thing I am about is that the master bdrm is also the study. But it works well for DH. He is in law school, and it lets him work until about midnite, and then he just gets up and crawls into bed. We got an awesome desk that is really more of a large table, but it gives him space for spreading out with books/notes and we still have room for the compy screen and printer.

My one thing with living in the small space- everything matches. It seems to make the space flow better. To me, if everything was hodge-podge, it would make the space seem smaller. But that's just me.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#20 of 48 Old 11-13-2008, 12:35 PM

2 bedrooms, 800-900 sq ft, 4 kids, 2 parents, and 2 dogs

I can't say that it is "working" but it could work if I didn't have so many issues. We all sleep in the same bedroom and use the other one as a playroom/clothes storages.
#21 of 48 Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We live in a 2 brm duplex that's about 900sf and in April there will be one more of us... so me, dh and three kids.

We've done so much decluttering over the years. We've gotten rid of a lot of furniture. Our coffee table, for instance. We always used it, but it really took up lots of space in our living room. We got an atique 7-Up crate that funky and we use that whenever we need somethig to put a drink on. Instead of a computer desk, we have http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00120818 in our kitchen. If we need more space, we just move our laptop to the kitchen table and spread out. If you don't have a laptop, you could get a tiny computer station and a foldable table to use when you need more space.

Our buffet in the eating area doubles as a buffet and storage space (we keep the kids' arts/crafts and homework stuff there). In the living room we had enough VISA points to buy a tv for the wall and we sold our tv cabinet.

In the kids' room, we have put a few shelves high up on the wall for the items they don't use much or will need when they're older. Their laundry basket hangs off of the doorknob of their door. They have bunkbeds (although they both sleep together on the bottom bunk right now)

We use wall space well - shelves, hooks, etc. You can often get rid of small bookshelves and cabinets by using the wall space better. Especially in closets!

I go through their toy boxes and clothes every few months. We use the library tons instead of having a ton of their own books.

I can't think of much else right now, but we've leaned these things over the years and I'm amazed and how much stuff we used to have that was totally uncessary. When it's tidied, it doesn't feel cramped at all. Good luck!
#22 of 48 Old 11-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

I do think having a lot less stuff is the key. I mean you can put up shelves and hooks all day long but if you have too much stuff, you will always feel cramped. We pared down considerably when we moved -- now, moving helps because you have the motivation of, "do I really want to pack and carry this up a flight of stairs " so it helps to declutter.

Once you get into the swing of things, it almost becomes like a game to see how little you can live with. The library suggestion above was big for me -- we used to have a ton of books and stuff hanging around .... that we only looked at maybe a couple of times a year. Otherwise they were just nice to look at. Now, we let the library store our books and we only have about 25 books -- though I could take that lower if I really tried. Same with dd, now she can treat books respectfully, we got rid of a ton of her books and take lots out of the library.

Oh, throwing out my "thin" clothes also freed up *a lot* of closet space too
#23 of 48 Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Well, we just moved from a 1500+ house in teh burbs to a small strawbale in the woods. Its dh and me and our two girls and we have about 450 sf. I agree its about getting rid of stuff and then finding smart solutions. We have a cedar chest as a coffee table and store stuff in there, also stuff in those huge ziplock bags under the beds. The girsl share one half of the upstairs and dh and I have the otehr half and thats alos where out desk is. We love it and once it was organized and seriously decluttered it became very fast to clean! We will be building our own house this year or next but we dont plan on building much larger than 500-600 sf.

Tanya
#24 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 AM

We live in 560sq ft. It's just DH, me, big dog and 2 cats, but I the previous tenants had 2 small boys. I could see us having a kiddo or two.

We also use the bedroom is a sleeping room idea. We only sleep and read in there. Would be the same if we had kids, all the people just sleep in there. Unlike MIL I don't believe in sending kids away to their own rooms to watch TV alone all evening.

In our old apartment we had the computer desk in the living room and I kept my laptop on the dining table. I'm not sure if we could do that in our current living room because we now have an upright freezer and a big dog crate in there, so the spare bedroom is the computer room/office.

If you're feeling cramped, you probably have too much furniture. We only have a 2-seater loveseat and a small TV w/stand for "normal" furniture in the living room. The dog crate and cat box serve as endtables and we don't have a coffee table because there just isn't room. Also without a coffee table we can spread pillows and lay in front of the TV if we want to. For kiddos we could have bean bag chairs on the floor, and then put them on the couch if we needed floorspace.
For furniture in the bedoom we only have a bed, small bookcase and small chest of drawers. No dresser or other furniture. I have a quilt rack that holds spare blankets handy to grab if we wake up cold.
We have one big closet for the whole house, and a small coat-sized closet. We downsized our wardrobes until everything fits into our half of the closet. Everything hangs except underwear and winter items because we don't have room for dressers. We could probably hang a second lower bar for childrens' small items.

My house can get cluttery. Partly because not everything has a place right now. I'm always working on getting it all organized and trying not to bring home any extra stuff. Also I'm alway figuring out better ways to do things. For example I just hung a spring loaded shower curtain rod across the hallway to add more drying room since we hang dry everything. It doesn't take up any space when not in use !
I got just an iPod, with a cable so it can be hooked into my house stereo and car stereo. I no longer need all the CD's that I have lying around because I can carry my entire music collection all at once. Once I make sure it is all on my computer and iPod I won't need the CDs anymore. That will help declutter my computer area!
#25 of 48 Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 AM

We did less the 600 sq ft for the 4 of us. I think that they key is organization and decluttering. I think it was my favorite home- really close and cozy.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#26 of 48 Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm another one with 3 kids in a 2 bedroom. Totally doable! We are trying to get organized and what not ourselves but here is one thought- we have a twin bed in the girl's room (all 3 of our LO's are girls) and it has a trundle underneath it so during the day they have all this room to play and do crafts and what not and at night we pull it out and make a king sized bed for all 3 of our girls to cuddle up on and sleep in. It makes transitioning from co-sleeping easier and I find they *want* to sleep next to each other. :

So if you want you can get a trundle like that and take it down during the day but use it as a kind sized bed for the family at night. The same bed was once used in our room as a king sized for the whole family (yup- all 5 of us in 1 bed!).

ETA- We own no dressers. We hang up all of our clothes and DH and I keep our undies and PJs in our nightstand (it has 2 drawers) while we have 3 baskets in the girl's closet for their undies and PJs.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#27 of 48 Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 AM

We live in 1200 square feet with 2 adults and 3 kids. I work at home, so one of our three bedrooms is used as an office. So basically we have five people in a two-bedroom house. The older two are sharing a room right now, and the baby will be moving in with them in a year or so. (He's 16 months and will be sleeping in our bed/room for quite a while longer.)

My advice is to look around and decide what you can live without. Keep only what you love. If you look at an item and it doesn't give you good feelings, throw it out (unless it's necessary for survival).

Also, look for storage that goes UP rather than OUT. Tall, skinny bookcases, shelves on the walls, stackable storage units, etc. are a good idea in small spaces.
#28 of 48 Old 11-25-2008, 02:35 AM

I live in a converted 1-bedroom loft that has two bedrooms now. It is about 900 sf and has an open livingroom/kitchen as the main space. We have a shelf of toys, a rug, and a couch in the livingroom. We all sleep in one room (queen bed for us, twins beds for the littles) and we have 3 dressers (and the closet) and a hope chest in that room as well. It is the largest room. In the other room dh and I each have a desk and wall mounted shelves. We also have dh's baby grand and his other instruments in there. We have very little "stuff" and store what we do have very, very well imo. I like having a small space and intend to stay this way

Congrats on your baby!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#29 of 48 Old 11-25-2008, 03:15 AM

We have a 3bdrm, 1000sqft house for 2 adults, 4 kids (and 8 cats, 2 dogs, etc). Sometimes I feel so cramped (usually when tripping over toys ) but mostly I love our little home.

The biggest thing that helps me is to realize that any given configuration doesn't have to work FOREVER, it just needs to meet our current needs. We have had a variety of arrangements over the years. 1 sleeping room, a playroom, and a storage room. Cosleeping room, kids room (more for toys that sleeping, but they did have beds), and office. 2 sleeping rooms and a library. Bedroom/office, big kid room, little kid room. You get the idea

Right now I have the boys (7 and 5) in one room and the girls (3 and 1) in another while dh and I have our own room (though lately all 4 end up with us except the youngest, she cosleeps full time still). Our office space changes as our bedroom needs do. Our dining area changes as our space does. Furniture comes and goes. It really just needs to be about what will fit our needs and keep us from feeling squished. I do find that as the kids get older they need their own space, not necessarily for sleep, but just to keep their stuff and get a little time away from the rest of us to get lost in play, books, daydreams, etc. This space can also be flexible as long as it feels like it is THEIRS.

Less stuff is key! We need to keep down the stuff we have. In the end it is just stuff and our happiness/sanity is so much more valuable than relics from the past!

#30 of 48 Old 11-25-2008, 04:49 AM

We live in a 2 bedroom (650 sq ft). We have 2 kids right now and another coming in January. It is totally doable! When we first moved in (when I was pg with ds1) we did set up the 2nd bedroom as an office. Ds1 coslept until almost 2 years, then he got his own bed in our bedroom. Ds2 was born soon after that, he slept in our bed and ds1 was still in our room but in his own bed. We changed the 2nd bedroom from an office into a bedroom for ds1 last fall (he was 3 1/2 at that time). Sold the desktop computer and bought a laptop instead. Got rid of the other furniture in the office, except for 2 bookcases which were moved into our bedroom. So at that point we had ds1 in his own room, and ds2 still cosleeping with us. A couple of months later ds2 got his own bed in our bedroom, and just recently moved into the other bedroom with ds1. They have bunk beds now (the low one from Ikea). We still have a toddler bed set up in our bedroom, and will keep it there. When this baby comes, he/she will cosleep with us, and then move into the toddler bed around age 2. When he/she is about 3 then we will probably look at moving. But I think you are a long way away from having to worry about a separate room for the baby!

I don't really think we use a lot of tricks to manage the space, honestly... I use the dining table as my desk (with the laptop) and dh either sits at the table or on the couch with his laptop, so no need for desks. We have 3 bookcases in our bedroom and 1 in the dining room, plus a kid's size bookcase in the living room. Other than that our furniture is fairly minimal but it's all full size. For some reason that seems more spacious to us than having scaled-down furniture. We started off with a loveseat, armchair, coffee table, and footstool, but last year we switched to just a full sized couch with a footstool and the living room seems more spacious now. We also have a TV stand (pretty big, actually) in there. The dining room has a full size table with 4 regular chairs and a Svan chair. There's also an Ikea storage unit for toys in the dining room/living room (it's an open room, really).

Probably the main thing we did to save space when we started having kids was just not buying any of the typical baby stuff - no crib, no playpen, no swing, etc. Never felt a need for it anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page