do you live in a yurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
rn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... full time?
... someplace where there is winter. snow, freezing temps ect.

and if so how does it go for you?
any information would be helpful to me.

thanks !
#2 of 9 Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 PM

i don't but one of my best buds does. full time in vermont. works alright for them...last winter wasn't the best--their yurts were built by someone local and the design didn't work well in the "wind tunnel" where they live (they lost a roof in a snow storm!!). but this summer they did a lot of work and bought custom insulation for the walls (and a good woodstove) and they are toasty this winter even in the 0 degree days that we've had recently. i think they'd suggest buying a yurt from a yurt company like pacific yurts b/c you can get it with custom insulation for the sides and roof.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#3 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 AM

I live in a yurt in the Arizona sun which it's not meant for..too hot in summer. And the bugs get in because it's just an open tent. And mice..which like to poop in the insulation.

But in the winter it's great! Winterize the windows with plastic and even a small propane heater keeps me comfy.

As long as I keep the mice out...and I don't eat in there because of the ants...which don't seem to be a problem in the yurt we do cook in - ants I mean, the mice are all over the kitchen yurt! I just wipe down the shelves and counters every morning with disinfectant wipes to keep the germs down.

But that's in the desert which is fairly vermin-active year-round. I never hear these horror stories from people in the north.
#4 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 PM

technically, our home is not a yurt, but by shape and design it is..
a 16 sided log cabin in the woods in virginia. in the winter we are saved by new insulation and a very good wood stove. also a fan at the peak of the ceiling brings the heat back down. in the summer, much time is spent out doors by the pond. also a key in the summer is the ventilation through the peaked roof- to let all the heat out. otherwise, fans with a cool rag draped in front help keep the round home cool (ish)
#5 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
rn

what do you do for a bathroom in the yurt? do you have a small one that you make into one?

rabbithorns-
so your kitchen yurt is Not attached to the main yurt?
and how many of you live in your yurt?
#6 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 PM

No, but we sooooo wish we did!!
#7 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 03:59 PM

The Kitchen Yurt is a separate yurt that serves about 4 of us most of the year and about 40 other people during study terms at the Buddhist retreat center where I live. It's also off-grid and has a propane range and oven and a solar hot water system with a back-up propane on-demand water heater. It does have water from the well plumbed in.

I share my yurt with my DH. And sometimes 2 other people during the three 5 week terms.

I use an enamel chamber pot, because I have to get up in the night and don't want to go outside. The temple bathrooms are several hundred feet away so I usually go there during the day. But when we get into our off-grid retreat cabin, I plan to use a locally made "kat-box" (the woman who designed is Kat) which is a humanure sawdust composting toilet. (Basically a box with a pot and sawdust, which is being tested for approved use in our county right now.)
#8 of 9 Old 01-03-2009, 05:10 PM

I have a cozy log cabin now, but lived in my yurt for a few years in Montana and Alaska. Montana winters were a "nothin deal" and I used a bathroom inside my neighbors on-grid home (I lived in their backyard basically). Alaska winters are a different bird, and I'd like to have froze my ass off. Here I used my neighbors showerhouse about 300 yards away. After I moved onto my own land, I used an outhouse. And built a cabin. And lived happily ever after.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#9 of 9 Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM

we have a covered porch extension that serves as "bathroom". in it we have a composting toilet which i highly recommend as an alternative to putting in a septic tank or flush system.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page