Rats, Mice and Flies. OH MY!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uggg! We have flies. THOUSANDS of flies. Cluster flies in my windows. (Chills up my spine.) How do I get them out? Or kill them? I keep sucking them up with the vaccum... no matter what I do or how often I vaccum they continue to come back... in groves... did I mention, by the thousand? I even have gone so far as to put the vaccum outside after vaccuming incase the are escaping the death by vaccum.

On to the rodents: This is only our second winter in the house. Last winter I killed 1 mouse/rat (not sure which, I poisoned him. Yup, I'm evil like that.) He stunk up the whole house when he died. (The final revenge.) This winter I can hear the little critterSSS (as in more than one... or two by the sounds of it) playing in the crawl space, which happens to be in the wall behind my computer. (Not the company I am looking for whilst checking my email.) I don't want to poison the (evil) little bitty mices (and/or gross discusting rats.) 'Cause that's not nice... AND = stinky house. I also don't want to deal with mouse traps with smooshed mouse heads or the general act of picking up said smooshy headed mouse. So what's a girl to do? I am generally not such a wuss... but I am currently prego... And I have been slightly afraid of the rodents as of late. They just gross me out with all the frollicking in my walls. Thanks for any of your help!

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#2 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 AM

Can you adopt a cat?

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#3 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM

They can bring fleas as well, so you really do want to be rid of them. Get a cat and get sticky traps. If you can find any points of entry, fill them with tin foil. When the mice/rats bite on the tin foil they get a shock and it deters them from entering that way.

The flies I deal with in the Fall but we have screens on our windows which keep them out of the house. The only thing I can think of, is if you really hate them, then buy something at your local farm store or Lowe's that repels flys and spray all your windows on the outside.

If you get rid of the mice, your fly problem may not be as bad either. Hugs. I hope you find a solution!

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#4 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

We have a cat. She lives outside and keeps the outside population down. The rodents are in the walls... so she wouldn't do any good if she was inside. I think the flies are also in the walls. We haven't had windows open so I don't know how else they got in. I have no idea where the flies are breeding. But it is all a very gross part about country living.
I can butcher chickens, but I can not handle flies, rats or mice. <insert shiver here>

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#5 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 PM

You can get covered snap traps so you don't see squished mouse. I'd go with those over glue traps, since the death is quicker.

Do you have any potted plants or other areas that might hold moisture in? At my work, we had a small fly infestation, and they ended up coming from the potted plants.

My parents put a plate of mothballs in the crawlspace/rafters of our old house to keep mice away. They don't usually eat them, but the smell is enough to discourage them from living there. I never noticed the smell permeating the rest of the house, but it was an older, draftier house.
#6 of 8 Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We had mice in the walls of our last place, yes they come along with country living but I don't tolerate them living in my house for very long! Because they were all in the walls, crawlspace, we had a difficult time getting rid of them even with the regular poison stuff. We eventually called in a professional who placed heavy duty bait boxes in the crawlspaces, the formula dried up the mice so they didn't smell. They were all gone in less then a week. If it's just a few then either my cat or traps work if they are just in the regular house, but once they get in the walls then it's difficult to get rid of them.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 8 Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 PM

Flies: We stopped having the house professionally sprayed when I got pregnant and though they're so bad I'm tempted.... honestly, take the screens OFF your windows and just open the windows a crack, enought so they can fly out. This has been the only solution that works. Vacuuming 3X a day is not an option.
You live in an old house, I'll bet. They come in through the walls and the cracks. You could work on sealing your house better from the inside and out. You'd save on energy bills as well.

As for the rodents: make that DH's job

and
#8 of 8 Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 PM

i was going to mention that there is a poison that you can get that is made to dry up the little critters so they don't stink. My parent used it when mice were living under the sink and cabinets in their kitchen. There really was no smell and they were gone within 1 or 1.5 weeks.

Also, if you can find any entry points for the rodents, you can use steel wool to plug up the holes. They don't chew through it for some reason.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page