Using old crocks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-15-2009, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it safe to use old ceramic crocks for food uses? My husband has been collecting them and I'm really hoping to make some sauerkraut and do some other fermented veggies this year, and am wondering about safety particularly in regards to lead leaching out of them. Of course, I'd only use the ones where there are no cracks/chips in the glazes.

What do you think? Are those old crocks just for looking at, or would you trust them to use?

If not, where can I get food safe crocks?
#2 of 4 Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmom View Post
Is it safe to use old ceramic crocks for food uses?
Most of the traditional old crocks were lined in a brown clay slip, put into kilns unglazed, and then salt was thrown into the kilns at red heat to vaporize and create a glazed surface.

If you want to be sure, purchase a lead test kit (they're fairly inexpensive) and do a check.
#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalmommy View Post
If you want to be sure, purchase a lead test kit (they're fairly inexpensive) and do a check.
I have a few different surface-testing lead kits, but I don't feel confident they'd produce a positive on lead leaching over time with acid contents in the crocks. I'll look into it some more. Thanks.
#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM

I tried looking into it a while back as well and had trouble finding info at all. I have use my old Medalta crock to make sauerkraut. I also use an old cheese crock with a wire bail for my sourdough starter. Often now thaough I do smaller amounts of ferments in a glass jar, nourishing traditions style. It works well for me as I can have new ferments going all of the time with slight variations. If there is spoilage ( which I have never had an issue yet) or if we just dont dig the recipe much, I have not wasted a huge amount of ingredients.
I really have a thing for old crocks though. They are so pretty. I plan to make a huge dill pot this summer with layered veggies since I could do a large batch of something like that. Sometimes I use the crock as a cool dark place to store my ferments that are already in a jar. I found that if I placed my kombucha which was in a large glass jar, inside the crock, it kept it a nice even temperature during the summer.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page