Family-Centered Intentional Community - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a dream!

I'm posting here on MDC to see if any of you wonderful people have any input for me or a direction to point me in or BETTER, interest in joining me.

I'm looking to get a bunch of creative heads together to begin developing plans for a Vegan Raw Foods, Family-Centered Eco-Village. Totally off the grid. This is obviously a project destined to be many years in the making, meaning that it will take a loooong time to truly get into gear. But I'm invested and would like to hear from people who might like to start something large-scale and as self-sustainable as possible - where organic food is grown on the land year-round (someplace warm, then). I'm looking for vegans who want to start directing their diets towards raw whole foods, if they haven't already.

I know, I know... I'm catering to a narrow audience here.

I envision a community full of people who aim towards a greater spiritual, emotional and physical health. People who are into growing as a community. I hope to work towards a peace-centered place that's ideal for raising families.

I have all kinds of visions bubbling around in my brain of an uber-sweet menstrual moon spa/birthing center and Waldorf-inspired childcare co-ops. And fibers/ceramics/arts studios and performance spaces. And artists, educators, herbwives, doulas and midwives in residence and all that jazz.

Our Eco-Village Focuses:
Peace & Non-Violence, Activism
Community, Transparency, Consensus Decision Making, True Equality
Ecological Responsibility, Permaculture
The Caring of Family & Children, Waldorf-Inspired Childcare, Child Centered
Culture, Pleasure Oriented
Creativity, Arts Oriented, Design for Efficiency and Aesthetic
Health & Personal Peace, Yoga, Meditation, Raw Foods Nutrition
Comprised of Like-Minded Singles & Families
Partially (optional) Income-Sharing
Self-Built Homes and Commons
Exclusive Membership Based On Like-Mindedness and Cooperation

^^ and anything else we might decide on together!

I'll be taking a course on Eco Peace Villages at Tamera in Portugal sometime this year or next summer. I'm so excited to finally push this long-time dream into something bigger. I'm hoping that I'll find someone somewhere who's interested, also.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#2 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Wow, that *does* sound pretty amazing. : Not sure if I could actually do it, (have ties to this area, not even vegan, let along raw food )

I think it's a very nice dream! How are things coming along?

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#3 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 09:18 PM

sounds lovely!!!

(oh and hey heather! nice to see you here. )
#4 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM

This is beautiful!  I have the same dream :)

do you have an email?

Much Love to you spirit sister.

#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM

sounds amazing <3

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 AM

I have been looking to do something similar, almost exactly the same even, minus the vegan part.

I do think you are limiting yourself a lot by imposing dietary restrictions - I totally understand you wanting to be part of a like-minded community, but at the same time not many people can live well on a raw vegan diet for their entire lifespan, and for whatever health reasons might need to start eating some animal products. And what then? Particularly if they have been part of your community for a while, will they not be allowed to stay if they decide they personally need to start eating dairy, or meat? It seems like the vast majority of people have diets that change throughout different phases of their lives, they might rotate through being omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans based on their personal dietary needs and preferences. Diet is very personal and individual, and I really shy away from any community that has food restrictions - even if I do happen to be eating raw or vegetarian doesn't mean I will want to or be able to do so indefinitely. Just something to think about, I wish you the best of luck, I think intentional communities are awesome!

#7 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Love everything except..the vegan part. We are super meat-eaters (grass fed, happy meat) so unless there was flexibility with the meal plans we could never be a part of something..

I would love though, everything else! Plus a milking cow for raw milk, dairy goats, meat rabbits all free ranging and being played with by happy, nature babies. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page