Medicated chick feed or non? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The medicated feed has antibiotic in it. I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to. What is my risk in not using the medicated feed and just using the unmedicated chick feed. This will be for our day old chicks.
#2 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM

:
#3 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 PM

The risk is that your chicks *might* get sick. But as long as you keep their enclosure clean and give them clean fresh water and clean food everyday, its not that big of a risk. Last time we had chicks we used organic feed which was obviously unmedicated, and all our chicks did just fine. How many chicks do you have? If you have a straight run (25 unsexed chicks), its pretty common to loose one or two.
#4 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

We have nine pullets coming. The disease that they medicate for, is it a chick thing or is it something that can affect the flock later in life ?
#5 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM

The medicated feed has just a general antibiotic. The most common disease chicks get is called coccidosis. It causes diarrhea/pasty butt.

I don't use medicated feed, but I do add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the chicks' water and a bit of cayenne pepper to their feed to help prevent against disease. I do usually lose a few chicks within the first day or two, but I've never had big problems with chicks getting diarrhea or any other obvious illness.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 8 Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 PM

As far as I know, the medication in the medicated chick feed is a thiamin blocker, not an antibiotic. Cocci needs thiamin to survive and reproduce.
#7 of 8 Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 PM

Agree with PP, HoneymoonBaby. Its not true antibiodic. Just watch your chicks. If you see blood in the stool, medicate immediatly. This is coccidosis, and can infect other farm animals as well. The first set of meat chickens we got from a certian hatchery came pre- infected. We did a flushing feed and most came around just fine. The pullets we recently got (from a different hatchery) are just fine and we don't medicate (we moved too). Also, coccidosis can live in the dirt ( for a long time). If there were animals previously infected on your property, it can crop up at any time. I guess my point is just watch your animals. If they don't gain weight well or have bloody or loose stools, err on the side of medicating.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#8 of 8 Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby View Post
As far as I know, the medication in the medicated chick feed is a thiamin blocker, not an antibiotic. Cocci needs thiamin to survive and reproduce.
Yeah that. It's something that starts with an A, but the name escapes me.

And I don't feed medicated food. Dumor feed from TSC isn't medicated, but at the same time TSC is really big on recommending antibiotics in the chick's water. Strange.

It's a personal choice. Risk vs. benefit I guess, and it depends on how big of a risk you think it is and if YOU are willing to "risk it"

I get non-medicated feed from TSC, and I don't use abx on healthy pets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page