Medicated chick feed or non? - Mothering Forums
Country Living / Off the Grid > Medicated chick feed or non?
MyBaby'sSmile's Avatar MyBaby'sSmile 06:17 PM 04-29-2009
The medicated feed has antibiotic in it. I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to. What is my risk in not using the medicated feed and just using the unmedicated chick feed. This will be for our day old chicks.

Sundance_11's Avatar Sundance_11 06:31 PM 04-29-2009
:
mamadelbosque's Avatar mamadelbosque 07:32 PM 04-29-2009
The risk is that your chicks *might* get sick. But as long as you keep their enclosure clean and give them clean fresh water and clean food everyday, its not that big of a risk. Last time we had chicks we used organic feed which was obviously unmedicated, and all our chicks did just fine. How many chicks do you have? If you have a straight run (25 unsexed chicks), its pretty common to loose one or two.
MyBaby'sSmile's Avatar MyBaby'sSmile 08:16 PM 04-29-2009
We have nine pullets coming. The disease that they medicate for, is it a chick thing or is it something that can affect the flock later in life ?
annethcz's Avatar annethcz 08:54 PM 04-29-2009
The medicated feed has just a general antibiotic. The most common disease chicks get is called coccidosis. It causes diarrhea/pasty butt.

I don't use medicated feed, but I do add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the chicks' water and a bit of cayenne pepper to their feed to help prevent against disease. I do usually lose a few chicks within the first day or two, but I've never had big problems with chicks getting diarrhea or any other obvious illness.
HoneymoonBaby's Avatar HoneymoonBaby 10:07 PM 04-30-2009
As far as I know, the medication in the medicated chick feed is a thiamin blocker, not an antibiotic. Cocci needs thiamin to survive and reproduce.
by-the-lake's Avatar by-the-lake 11:53 PM 04-30-2009
Agree with PP, HoneymoonBaby. Its not true antibiodic. Just watch your chicks. If you see blood in the stool, medicate immediatly. This is coccidosis, and can infect other farm animals as well. The first set of meat chickens we got from a certian hatchery came pre- infected. We did a flushing feed and most came around just fine. The pullets we recently got (from a different hatchery) are just fine and we don't medicate (we moved too). Also, coccidosis can live in the dirt ( for a long time). If there were animals previously infected on your property, it can crop up at any time. I guess my point is just watch your animals. If they don't gain weight well or have bloody or loose stools, err on the side of medicating.
oneKnight's Avatar oneKnight 12:26 AM 05-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby View Post
As far as I know, the medication in the medicated chick feed is a thiamin blocker, not an antibiotic. Cocci needs thiamin to survive and reproduce.
Yeah that. It's something that starts with an A, but the name escapes me.

And I don't feed medicated food. Dumor feed from TSC isn't medicated, but at the same time TSC is really big on recommending antibiotics in the chick's water. Strange.

It's a personal choice. Risk vs. benefit I guess, and it depends on how big of a risk you think it is and if YOU are willing to "risk it"

I get non-medicated feed from TSC, and I don't use abx on healthy pets.
Up