wild edibles books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can anyone recommend a really good wild edibles book? i borrowed a few from the library, but i was kinda disappointed.

i'm looking for a book that has color pictures for every plant listed, preferably a pic of the young plant and then one in bloom, recipes tested by the author, plants listed in alphabetic order and is maybe geared toward the area i live in, northern california/sierra nevadas/placer county/foresthill.

thanks mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 PM

Wild Foods for Every Table

There is delicious food all around us. It is food that we've just stopped noticing. This book is filled with unique and tasty recipes to help the beginner get started or to expand an old forager's repertoire. Recipes were submitted by well over 30 contributors. While there are pictures, this is not a field guide. It IS a great cookbook, with recipes you and your family will look forward to for years to come! Spiral bound, b&w with color cover 120 pp.

Price: $8.95

http://www.essentialherbal.com/shop/?cart=6815&cat=3

These women are great. Extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. And the price is right on the book. It doesn't cover everything you were asking for, but its a great book.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! i'm off to check it out!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Just to let you know, they have a herbal yahoo group and a print magazine. I'm on the yahoo group. Everyone on there is so full of information and they don't get annoyed with beginners asking lots of questions.

Also, have you checked out Herb Mentor. I think it's just herbmentor.com. Another great site.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 05-02-2009, 03:16 AM

Dakota's mom, what's the name of the yahoo group & the magazine? I'd love to get into this, but I have no idea where to start looking. Thanks!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 05-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Here is the yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheEssentialHerbal/

The magazine is also called The Essential Herbal. I think you can order it through the link I gave in my previous post. The one with the book in it.

Herb Mentor can be found at:

www.herbmentor.com/

Kathi

User Tag List