Mothering Forum banner

Livestock Guardian dog for hot hot climate?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sadystar 
#1 ·
Hey all....

We have a great guardian dog right now who's a mutt but we know she won't be around forever and we were talking the other night about what breed we'd get to replace her.

Living in southern Georgia the heat is something to consider. We've heard great things about Great Pyrenees (sp?) but I'd think they'd be miserable in this heat.

We use our current dog to keep things like coyotes, bobcats, other dogs, 'domestic' cats, etc. away from the chickens and goats. Oh and they help keep the deer out of the gardens. The livestock are penned and we don't need any help coralling them or anything, just to keep the wandering wildlife out of the gardens and to keep them from trying to get into the pens/coops.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
Spanish Mastiff? Called a Mastin in Spanish....just googled it and I found there are two types, I think it is the light (ligero) type that get used here in the south. They are pretty relaxed (wouldn't you be if you were that big?!), I regularly chase the shepherd's one of my land as he comes to eat my dogs' food - will eat all 5 bowlfuls if allowed! He sort of saunters off really casually, like I'm not yelling and throwing pebbles at him!

They do everything you mention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.