Livestock Guardian dog for hot hot climate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-10-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all....

We have a great guardian dog right now who's a mutt but we know she won't be around forever and we were talking the other night about what breed we'd get to replace her.

Living in southern Georgia the heat is something to consider. We've heard great things about Great Pyrenees (sp?) but I'd think they'd be miserable in this heat.

We use our current dog to keep things like coyotes, bobcats, other dogs, 'domestic' cats, etc. away from the chickens and goats. Oh and they help keep the deer out of the gardens. The livestock are penned and we don't need any help coralling them or anything, just to keep the wandering wildlife out of the gardens and to keep them from trying to get into the pens/coops.

Any suggestions?

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM

We had a basenji when I was little. They are an Australian breed with some livestock herding or hunting purpose (not exactly sure - look it up!). Our chased cars uncontrollably.
#3 of 4 Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 PM

We recently got a Maremma sheepdog to protect our goats and really like him. They're similar to a great pyrenees, but there hairs not quite as long. I know I've seen pictures of short-hair LGDs though the breed name(s) are escaping me atm.. Anatolian Sheperd is one, I think.
#4 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 AM

Spanish Mastiff? Called a Mastin in Spanish....just googled it and I found there are two types, I think it is the light (ligero) type that get used here in the south. They are pretty relaxed (wouldn't you be if you were that big?!), I regularly chase the shepherd's one of my land as he comes to eat my dogs' food - will eat all 5 bowlfuls if allowed! He sort of saunters off really casually, like I'm not yelling and throwing pebbles at him!

They do everything you mention.

User Tag List