Best State to Live Off Grid? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're not south GA, nor are we off grid, but we're working on the country living part! the house we bought has a geothermal system already, which rocks.
imo GA has it all! we have a hot weather and a cool weather growing season (in middle/north ga). lots of rivers and lakes. LOVE the rivers.
fishing, hunting, agriculture.. all good here. plus you can do tomatoes in the summer.. i've heard west coast isn't so great for those but don't know for sure.
we get snow sometimes but not enough to make it lots of work.. and at any given point you're not TOO far from the mountains or the ocean to make a trip. i wouldn't want to live anywhere else (exceptin maybe NC-- it's nice, REAL nice, up in the Boone area.)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm really partial to Kentucky. But, really Appalachia in general is gorgeous. Land is affordable and sales tax is 6%. I'm a mountaineer born and raised. I feel like we are making a good go of it here.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 PM

I live in NH and our property taxes are outrageous, but there are locations that have much more affordable rates.

I dream of moving to Oregon...

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 AM

If you homeschool or consider it you can look at this map to help you decide: http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Also need to look at taxes, water rights, zoning/building laws/restrictions (which can REALLY be extreme and limit you severely), and if you can tolerate the climate.

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 PM

looking at TN

We sound like we are in the same boat. I am from Western NC and my husband is from Louisiana. We are both active Army, he is at 18 years and I'm at 10, and we are trying to decide where to settle. The LAWS are my main concern with where we go. Texas has so much going for it in that aspect but I think the terrain makes it hard to go off-grid. I have found a LOT of good land in TN with good prices and their laws are much better than NC. I love the NC mountains and they offer a lot for living off the land but the state makes it almost impossible to build your own buildings and live off the land- they have been harassing a man in the Asheville area for years and have been known to take parent's kids away for feeding them eggs they raised because they weren't inspected by the FDA. I would like to say we won't need a job when we retire from the military but unfortunately I don't think we will meet that goal in time so we are looking at something remote yet close enough to have a source of income, hopefully that isn't a traditional job.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
This site has info on state tax rates and has special notes about social security and military benefits as well that might be helpful. http://www.moneycrashers.com/state-t...es-comparison/

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

User Tag List