Best State to Live Off Grid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering where would be the best place to live off the grid. I live in Alaska, and I read Mt.Mama and others talk well of it... I have looked around at land here.....but honestly, I think it would be a lot more fun to be able to pick fresh greens, fruit, and meat in winter rather than to spend the season chopping wood trying not to freeze to death and burning lamps for the 12 hours during the day when there is no sunlight.... (Gosh....that sounded like a rant!)

I am really going for self sufficiency. So where do you think the best places are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM

I've been looking into Tenn and Maine. There is pretty cheap land in both places. I know there is a family on the net somewhere who did this in E Tenn. Maine is not as cold as it sounds. It's going to be in the 90's this week in Maine (coastal). It is cold in the winter too though, but not dark. Tenn has temperate climate, low cost of living. Subbing for more info..

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#3 of 36 Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM

I live in New Jersey

I live on 30 acres, but I am driveable to anywhere I need to be and only an hour and change outside of New York City. If I want culture I can snag it, but I can also have my chickens, nature, hiking etc.

If I were brave I'd do Vermont or Maine, but I'm not.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#4 of 36 Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Okay, I'd say Oregon then.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#5 of 36 Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Okay, I'd say Oregon then.
:

There is a lot of affordable land in Oregon, and the western side of the mountains is lush.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#6 of 36 Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 AM

Isn't it fantastic? If I weren't so in love with our homeland and lifestyle, I would strongly consider relocating down there to the land where growing food is easy and doable year round.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 36 Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
Maine is not as cold as it sounds. It's going to be in the 90's this week in Maine (coastal). It is cold in the winter too though, but not dark.
I don't know about that!!! Maine is pretty dark and cold in the winter! Its pretty frigid in the single digits much of dec-mar and it while its not as dark as Alaska, it does get dark before 4pm most winter days!
Not that I am discouraging anyone from moving here. I LOVE it here! The spring/summer/fall make the winters bearable. I live on 2 acres in the middle of farm country and its just heavenly!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#8 of 36 Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 AM

We like to browse and dream, and I think if I could pick the perfect place to homestead it would be Oregon or Washington. It is SO beautiful there, and everything is so lush. We love the rain so that would be wonderful for us. There are mountains, forrests, beaches not too far off... its an ideal location. The weather is temperate throughout the year (compared with other areas in the states), and great for growing year round. And did I mention its beautiful?
#9 of 36 Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato2 View Post
We like to browse and dream, and I think if I could pick the perfect place to homestead it would be Oregon or Washington. It is SO beautiful there, and everything is so lush. We love the rain so that would be wonderful for us. There are mountains, forrests, beaches not too far off... its an ideal location. The weather is temperate throughout the year (compared with other areas in the states), and great for growing year round. And did I mention its beautiful?
We (mostly me, lol) dream of moving to Oregon. We have a beautiful piece of property here, but I am a western girl at heart and I am done with the snow!
#10 of 36 Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 PM

We are currently looking at land in WA or OR. We have lived in both Seattle and Portland so we know both areas pretty well and miss the West Coast very much. We are in New England now and can't wait to get back to the PacNW. Too buggy, muggy, hot, cold, etc here for us

I'd say that the other side of the state (OR and WA)...well, the eastern side is very different from the western side. It snows and winters are very different (and summers) from the wetter side. It is gorgeous in most parts, though. Land is a lot more affordable on the "other" side and also a lot more seculded (as far as major cities being near, etc).
#11 of 36 Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
We are currently looking at land in WA or OR. We have lived in both Seattle and Portland so we know both areas pretty well and miss the West Coast very much. We are in New England now and can't wait to get back to the PacNW. Too buggy, muggy, hot, cold, etc here for us

I'd say that the other side of the state (OR and WA)...well, the eastern side is very different from the western side. It snows and winters are very different (and summers) from the wetter side. It is gorgeous in most parts, though. Land is a lot more affordable on the "other" side and also a lot more seculded (as far as major cities being near, etc).
I agree with the bolded part....DH's family thinks I am wussy....but I think you have to grow up here to be able to deal with it succesfully

What is the other side like? We talk about having a small farm/vineyard out there someday..........It's good to have dreams, right? lol
#12 of 36 Old 08-25-2009, 02:58 PM

Just got back from upstate New York with a zillion farms but the property taxes will kill you!!
#13 of 36 Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 AM

I've lived in WA, OR, ID, TN and GA. I'd go with Oregon definitely. Love the climate (western side of the state, eastern side has it's charm but it's much rougher), love the people, etc.

My parents still live in WA and it's changing....fast! I used to long for WA, but to hear my parents talk now, most of what I really loved about it is changing.

Of course, I've been turned into a GA girl now. Can't give up the growing season down here now. LOL Off grid would be tough though...no AC!

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#14 of 36 Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 AM

Good to see Oregon & Washington on the list. I'm looking too. Recently, Montana came to my attention. Any ideas on Montana being good/bad?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#15 of 36 Old 08-28-2009, 09:05 AM

I'm still looking too. We want to buy some land next spring/early summer and we can't decide on a state!!!! We've been waffling for far too long! We need to consider state tax laws especially taxes in retired military pay. DH is leaning away from Maine because of the big chunk of taxes they take out, plus the frigid winters. All that heating fuel must come from somewhere. Plus we'd be better off financially if we could stay somewhat near a major military installation so that we can use our retiree benefits.

Anyone have any good advive for a place near a military base that is somewhat rural and beautiful??? Tennessee is still an option for us. It's also close enough that we can visit and explore from our current home base.

Washington is a small possibility. My brother and his family live out there right now but they are Army and I'm sure will be moving sooner or later. I've been there before and it's beautiful.

Anyone have any ideas other than Oregon and Washington? Maybe on the Eastern half of the U.S??

#16 of 36 Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 AM

New Hampshire is the best place to be!! We LOVE it here....we're closing in less than two weeks on our dream country home and can't wait to move in and get started...finally we've got what we have so patiently waited for....I highly recommend NH.

And yes.....it's cold here in winter and hot in the summer....but Fall is devine..and besides, the family huddled up under wool blankets together, stays together!! I don't know how any of you "temperate climate livers" do it...I don't know how I'd feel alive if it weren't for deep, cold winter.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#17 of 36 Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
New Hampshire is the best place to be!! We LOVE it here....we're closing in less than two weeks on our dream country home and can't wait to move in and get started...finally we've got what we have so patiently waited for....I highly recommend NH.

And yes.....it's cold here in winter and hot in the summer....but Fall is devine..and besides, the family huddled up under wool blankets together, stays together!! I don't know how any of you "temperate climate livers" do it...I don't know how I'd feel alive if it weren't for deep, cold winter.
NH is actually on our list of maybes. DH's family is in CT so it would be closer to them. DH would have no problem with it, growing up in CT and all. I've done ONE new england winter and it was really cold. But I lived in DC for 7 years and it gets cold there too. Though about on average 5ish degrees warmer than New England.

I hear the taxes are great in NH. Lots of cheap land. Not THAT far from the ocean..hmmm..something to think about...

Averysmommy~any more information about NH, specifically taxes would be appreciated

#18 of 36 Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
NH is actually on our list of maybes. DH's family is in CT so it would be closer to them. DH would have no problem with it, growing up in CT and all. I've done ONE new england winter and it was really cold. But I lived in DC for 7 years and it gets cold there too. Though about on average 5ish degrees warmer than New England.

I hear the taxes are great in NH. Lots of cheap land. Not THAT far from the ocean..hmmm..something to think about...

Averysmommy~any more information about NH, specifically taxes would be appreciated
REasons I love NH:

1. Live Free or Die:

As a Libertarian who loves unhindered, natural living...I have found that there are a lot of people "like us" around here...the true spirit (not the yuppies who have moved up from Mass) of the New Hampshire native is one I appreciate very much...even people who don't see eye to eye with us, recognize the wisdom in a "live and let live" attitude. I really, really like the people here...reserved and strange as they can be, I love the core values of the true NH spirit.

2. Yes, the taxes.

We have no sales or income tax here...so in some towns property taxes can be very steep, so watch out! We, however, have bought our home in a place with very reasonable taxes and one of the best school districts in the state, beautiful parks, low low crime (rural, only 4,00 people), etc...so you don't have to live somewhere "crummy" to get good taxes. I can't tell you how nice it is not to pay sales tax or any state income tax...I've lived here for 11 years now after living just about everywhere else in the country (moved a TON as a kid, mother decided to settle us here, where she was born and raised) and have grown up with this tax system and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

The cost of living CAN be more expensive here....but we find that through our more natural lifestyle, that really doens't effect us much to be honest. We just don't consume so much energy, store food, etc...

3. Location...oh the location!

If you love the beautiful outdoors, fishing, hunting even...there isn't a better place for you. We are moving into the deep woods, next to a gorgeous lake...and we couldn't be happier...it's just SO the NH we love. We are 45 minutes from gorgeous rocky beaches (they are rocky, but still sandy...but that harder sand toward the surf, with pockets of sandy places to play too), where we love to fish in the surf for big ole stripped bass and play in the sandy coves and tidal pools. We are 35 minutes from the gorgeous lakes region...breathtaking. We've got mountains not far from us....and are 45 minutes from Boston...or a 4 hour ride to Montreal. The location is truly awesome. We prefer to be in the deep woods, holed up with just our pack...we tend to be quiet, shut in types.....but we do get out a couple of times a year to go to Boston to visit the cultural centers...see an awesome exhibit at the museum, catch a wonderful preformance of THe Nutcracker...or just to eat some awesome Indian food. It's nice to be holed up on our own....but less than an hours ride from a major metropolitan area like Boston (or Montreal, our favorite city on earth) for our rare trips into the excitment of city life. It is important to me that I have this capability, as I will need to take my children to see good theatre, eat great food and spend time viewing good art exhibits, etc.

4. You CAN grow food here....

We have a great garden right now at my MILs house...lots of tomatoes, great lettuce this year, cuce's, squash, peppers, teriffic herbs, etc....You CAN grow plenty of food here and can them for winter time use...or make sauce out of them, etc...there are any number of ways to eat off your garden year round. At the home we just bought, we have tons of blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. We may also have apples...but they are deeper in the woods, I would want them closer to the house. I look forward to freezing berries and apples and drying apples, etc to eat during the "off months"...you can grow lots of food here, the summers are hot and wet (though, a little too wet for tomatoes to be perfectly happy this year!) and the climate is alright even for fruit trees..I know tons of people with fruit trees who have to take extra special care of them due to the winter climate...but still, they get lots of great fruit from them! So...

Anyway...there are even more reasons than those listed...I just love the crap outta NH. I lived in the south, midwest, out west in Colorado (I DO miss those mountains!) and of all the places I've been, I can't imagine living anywhere else now that I have a family to raise. These woods here are magic, the ocean is so different here from the sandy hot oceans of the south....it's really, really gorgeous. There is a spirit here which captures me and makes me so happy to have this place in my blood. THere is no where else I'd raise my kids or make a home for us...just a phenominal place to be.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#19 of 36 Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Thank you AverysMomma..DH will be happy to hear that. He has been eyeing NH, he would love to get back up North.

I will be doing some research now, thanks again!!!

#20 of 36 Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 AM

I grew up in OR and the UP of MI, and now live in Bangor, ME. The winters in ME are much less snowy than where I used to live in MI (about 80" of snow from Dec to early/mid April vs 200" from late October to the beginning of May) but I would say is it about the same cold-wise. We are planning to move back to the UP because I miss daily snow in the winter.

But, I would say that if you wanted year-round harvest (with, say, cold frames) and a mild climate, the Willamette River Valley area in OR is the place to go. My dad currently lives in Lebanon, OR, and for sure it is a beautiful place. He was starting to get ripe tomatoes when we were just putting out our seedlings! There's a reason that the Oregon Trail existed, and it's because the Willamette Valley is so bountiful...
#21 of 36 Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
Good to see Oregon & Washington on the list. I'm looking too. Recently, Montana came to my attention. Any ideas on Montana being good/bad?

Ami
I spent the first 21 years in Montana and the last 17 in Alaska. Montana is a lovely place to live... with alot of weather extremes. I've seen snow every month of the year and 60 degree days in January. Its crazy and unpredictable and beautiful. Its hard to grow food in the eastern half because its hot and DRY. The western side is lusher but comes at the expense of a mountain climate and a shorter growing season. And the north (the high line) has some really severe winters.

#22 of 36 Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM

We're grid-tied but have a net carbon-zero footprint in heating and cooling energy because of passive-solar design and some PVs.

Based on my experience, I think it's most important to think of these two things: Heat and Food.

I've seen pictures of Colorado mining towns that basically decimated huge swaths of timber for both heating and of course building. So sad to see how a settlement can eat up it's own natural resources so quickly. Burning wood for heat is tough on you (think chopping and hauling wood in retirement), and tough on the environment. It feels rustic and wholesome, but a much better deal all around is to really reduce your need for supplemental heat to begin with. This means mild or at least consistently sunny winters.

Food is the other thing to consider. Longer growing seasons require less need to put up food and thus saves energy in both sweat, fuel and time.

Willamette River Valley is an amazing place and we considered relocating there. The one hurdle I thought to consider was that the damp cold would be hard to address. Solar energy of any significance during those dark and cloudy stretches would be hard to come by and you'd need to plan for it. But overall I think it's an awesome community full of possibility and promise. Otherwise I think I'd head south.
#23 of 36 Old 08-31-2009, 06:10 PM

WRT to burning wood and living where the winters are sunny...

Respectfully, I need to point out that its just not possible for everyone to live where the winters are summer and PV is available year round. Logistically it ain't gonna happen due to overpopulation and limited land/clean water resources.

Just because Colorado mining towns decimated their forests, does not mean that is the norm. Although city living in the high desert does mean you deplete all your local resources by choosing to live there.

We heat and cook with wood, and our forest is not nearly at risk, in fact we are doing it a favor by cleaning up the multitudes of beetle killed spruce that has been here since I started building 14 years ago. Its what we use to build all of our buildings, heat our home in the winter and cook with year round. And the forest is thriving.

FWIW, PV doesn't work here from November to February, but wind does.

There are a multitude of environments suitable for homesteading and living wisely... we're certainly not limited to Oregon or Tennessee or other mild climates. And those places are going to become hugely overcrowded soon, so its wise to, uh, branch out a little bit and spread out the load.

#24 of 36 Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 PM

Well, I've been watching and reading and waiting. We have been waffling for far too long about where we want to buy land for future use. Right now the price is right in most places and we have the money now. Sooooo, dh (with his father) is going on a land hunting expedition this November to......Maine! We've been there before and dh and his family are from CT and Vermont. Coastal Maine that is, where I've heard the snow is less because of the effects of the ocean. Getting nervous.

We are not planning on being 100% off grid (except when we are on our sailboat). The times that we will be living in the house that is yet to be built, we will most likely use a combo of radiant heat fired by propane and a wood stove for backup/supplementary. We will be building a very small cottage (less than 1000 sq ft, prob between 700-1000). Very well insulated. Also hope to situate house on property so as to maximize solar exposure for passive solar heating (got to get that book, The Passive Solar House).

I don't want to derail the thread but does anyone have any tips for questions we should be asking and details that we should be looking for (when buying land)?

#25 of 36 Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 PM

mtn.mama - you raise very valid points. Things are rarely cut-and-dried, particularly when it comes to alternative living choices. We do have access to better insulation for our homes, more efficient wood-burning stoves, etc. So yes, wood-burning is not necessarily the enemy. I agree - it can be done thoughtfully and conscientiously. I've relied on wood heat before and it seemed so involved as compared to just living somewhere more temperate. Locate the wood. Cut the wood. Haul the wood. Split the wood. Store the wood. Burn the wood. Clean up after the wood. And then do it all over again in about half a year. And all the energy I've spent putting up food - oh my! That's also an involved problem that is diminished by just living somewhere more temperate. So two big considerations for me would be solved just by changing climates.

I'm sorry if you felt judged by my comments regarding wood heat. I do agree that it can be done well and done responsibly.
#26 of 36 Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM

(wink) its all good. We value the work that wood requires... its a part of our lifestyle and a very necessary part to living Here. We joke truthfully that wood warms you three times... to cut it, and split it, and burn it.

#27 of 36 Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 AM

Since someone asked about the other side of WA...

Eastern Washington

Keep in mind, this was taken in spring. This is as green as the fields get, they're brown now.

It's basically flat, brown, dry and dusty. With lots of rocks and sagebrush. This is Ephrata/Soap Lake area. Winters aren't horrible, not like spokane or north idaho where it snows non stop. We do get stretches of negative digits, but almost never below, say, -10. Spring and Fall are beautiful. Summer is hot and dry. Broken up by the occasional thunderstorm.

Lots and lots of rednecks.

I love it here. Could do with fewer rednecks, and a little more liberal views, but it's getting better.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#28 of 36 Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM

marimara- do you have a specific place in Maine that you are looking?
I live here and may be able to help. Do you have a realtor lined up?

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#29 of 36 Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 AM

We used to live in alaska just left a year ago and we were going to live there when my husband retires/gets out but what changed our mind was that we could not grow food very often or enough to last all year almost. Growing food and keeping some animals is important to us. We dont like the south at all even though its PERFECT for almost yr round growing esp where we live now which is mild/cool almost all year. I dont like it though, its way too hot. we have traveled and lived in many places. We will either go outside of Missoula Montana or somewhere outside of lexington kentucky. UK also has an agriculture program and all sorts of stuff. I love lexington my whole family is in kentucky almost except for the few in colorado and my dh's family are all from georgia. We fell in LOVEEEE with montana and alaska but of the two montana would be easier to live off the land in many ways even though it does get pretty cold there too and the seasons are short. I need to be in a cooler place though, the heat plus me = no good lol.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#30 of 36 Old 05-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarat View Post
I've lived in WA, OR, ID, TN and GA. I'd go with Oregon definitely. Love the climate (western side of the state, eastern side has it's charm but it's much rougher), love the people, etc.

My parents still live in WA and it's changing....fast! I used to long for WA, but to hear my parents talk now, most of what I really loved about it is changing.

Of course, I've been turned into a GA girl now. Can't give up the growing season down here now. LOL Off grid would be tough though...no AC!

Yay for South GA mamas! I feel like we are few and far between DH and I are planning on moving west with our 2 sons, 3 dogs, and 1 fish Portland is in the running....i was curious to your thoughts on Ptown!

proud wife to my sweets and mama to our 2 boys Tripp (10-15-05) and Luther (09-11-08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page