If you heat with wood... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-18-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Do you keep a good amount of wood IN your house?

For those of you that heat with wood burning stoves or furnaces, do you keep more than a day's worth of wood inside your house, or do you keep it mostly outside and bring it in on a daily basis?

Last winter we stacked wood against the front of the house and brought it in every morning and evening to use in the wood-burning furnace. This year, I'm considering having DH stack wood against a wall in the basement (where the furnace is located), so I don't have to bundle up and don't have to carry more than I'm comfortable with while pg.

I am a little concerned about bugs or other critters deciding to live in the indoor wood pile, but am wondering what other people's experiences have been. TIA!

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2 of 26 Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We bring it in a few peices at a time. I can see why you would want to have a bunch in the house though. How much do you burn every day?
#3 of 26 Old 10-18-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

It depends on the weather, of course, but I asked DH and he did some complicated equation and came up with 6 cubic feet a day or about a cord every 3 weeks. That's at the absolute coldest. Usually we go through less than that.

#4 of 26 Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Bugs can be a serious issue. Especially if you might have carpenter ants.
Our woodstove is close to the door, so we have a large woodbox right outside the door.
I never bring in more then 1/2 a days worth at a time.

Does the basement have direct access to the outside? Or are you having to haul wood through the house to get it downstairs?

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#5 of 26 Old 10-18-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Does the basement have direct access to the outside? Or are you having to haul wood through the house to get it downstairs?
Due to some really bizarre design choices by the builder, our "front door" goes into the unfinished basement. We have to walk through the basement or walk up a hill and around to the back door in order to get to the main living area. So yes, direct access from the outside to the furnace.

Carpenter ants would be a huge concern to have in the house, as it is very much made completely out of wood.

#6 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 AM

My parents and grandparents heated with wood when I was growing up. We always filled a whole room in each of their basements with wood. It can be kind of messy, but I don't remember a big bug problem. That said, I'm sure it makes a big difference where you live and what kind of bugs you might track in.
#7 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 AM

We keep about 2 days' worth just outside our front door. When I bring a piece of wood in, it goes straight into the stove. I do not let any wood in my house just sitting around. I see the ants on the wood in the wood pile every once in a while. It takes just a couple getting into the house to have a full-blown infestation. Those little buggers are HARD to get rid of, too.

Every couple of days dd (7.5) and reload the porch's wood stack from the actual wood pile that is about 30 yards from our house. We don't cut all of our own firewood, we buy it mostly. I will be buying wood this winter to use next winter to make sure it is properly seasoned (I do not believe for one second the ads that sell "seasoned firewood") and good and dry to burn. I don't need to bring it into the house to dry out like some people do when they buy green wood.

I know it would be easier to have it in the house, but I wouldn't take the risk. JMO.
#8 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
she

Everyone I have ever known puts the whole load of wood (or as much as possible) in the basement/cellar. It's an autumn ritual. Our winters are so snowy that wood racks would be buried by January. With all the shoveling we do, no one wants to shovel off the wood, too.

Our cellar isn't finished - it has a gravel floor, so the mess isn't an issue. If the wood brings in bugs, at least the spiders come, too We put 6 cord in last year, it all fit in the area under our kitchen. Once or twice a day we bring up a load of wood to burn in the stove that sits in the kitchen. This year, we only got 3 cord of hardwood (we bought a new airtight stove), but filled the rest of the area with softwood millends. The last two winters, we've run out of wood, so we're paranoid about having enough.

Man, despite his artistic pretensions and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains - unknown :
#9 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 AM

We bring it in on an as-needed basis, which works out to being at least 1-2x a day from the woodshed (which is, IDK, maybe 100' from the house?). In years past when we had SUPER cold temperatures for days on end we'd stack it right outside the door. But, we haven't done that in years now.
#10 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM

We have a wood rack thing in the same room as the stove, and it holds about 2 days worth of wood. It almost never gets filled up, because we get tired of hauling that much wood inside all at once. Bugs have never been a problem. (I think we have had one piece of infested wood in 3 years of woodstove use, and it went directly into the stove.)

If the wood is wet or not seasoned enough, it usually dries out enough to burn nicely after a day indoors.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#11 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM

We live in a trailer with a wood stove in the middle of the living/dining/kitchen area. There are three doors in that main part, so the previous owners built a woodshed off one of the doors. Our wood is covered and we just have to step a few feet "outside" to get what we need. I think the wood shed stores about a cord and a half. If it's going to be really cold, my husband will bring in some wood before he leaves for work, but it's also really easy for me to go get some. The entire main part of my house is linolyum (sp?), so it's really easy to clean up. I'm loving having the wood stove- it's about 80 in here right now.
#12 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Our house has a 4 foot overhang around most of the house, so we double stack it as high as we can reach around 1 side of the house, and on another side, we double stack it.
On a third side, I was actually able to stack up 4 sections deep!
This actually helps provide a bit of extra insulation as well.
Next year, if we have accumulated enough parts, we will build a proper woodshed next to the house with a breezeway between roofs.
Should have everything we need, because our local landfill allows anyone to take all the stuff that the contractors throw away. We already have a good pile going of new but slightly damaged stuff!

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#13 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM

We only bring in what we need for the day and burn it right away. Many people load up their basements, but we haven't been comfortable w/that approach. We cut our own, mostly, so we can cut and stack where we need it, and it's bone dry for burning. We stack on pallets with a covering over the top, which has worked fine so far.
#14 of 26 Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 PM

Besides bugs any wood you bring in also brings in moisture. The greener it is the more moisture. Seasoned wood is not as bad but it is something to keep in mind.
#15 of 26 Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 AM

ours is outside away from the house so we just have a huge pile about 75ft away from the house. They dont care about shelter because they separate burnables from recyclables from trash to kick-start the stove.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#16 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
rcr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We keep a weeks worth outside the door next to the stove, and restock it every weekend. The big pile of wood is outside in the garage.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#17 of 26 Old 10-23-2009, 04:44 PM

We keep it outside the front door with just enough for about a week and restock it each weekend, or whenever its not raining outside!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#18 of 26 Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
When we had a blizzard and the power out (exclusively heating with wood, not the norm in our home) we brought 2 days or so in at a time to avoid opening the door and letting in the cold.
#19 of 26 Old 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM

Generally we only keep 1/2day-1 days worth of wood inside the house. Sometimes as much as 2 days worth if the weather is especially nasty and we don't want to be going in and out as much as usual. I'm concerned about bugs, so I would not want the whole woodpile inside my house.
#20 of 26 Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM

We burn 7-8 cords each winter, we cut, split and stack outside to season it ahead of time. Then come autumn, we throw it in the basement through a window or the back door. We have an unfinished basement with about 1/3rd of it cement floor, the rest is dirt. We stack all 7-8 cords in the basement then bring up enough to fill a closet that is just behind the woodstove - it holds 2.5 days worth plus kindling and newspapers. Very handy! This way, even when I'm 9mo pregnant, I can still fill the closet and feed the stove a few pieces at a time.
The bugs are not a problem IMO because it is stored outside for 8-12 months ahead of time and usually through a winter.

BTW you tend to get carpenter ants more often when you burn wood from dead trees. If you are burning good wood, you're much less likely to have bug problems.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#21 of 26 Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 PM

we tend to stack up a week's worth on the back deck and when it's really really cold, say -30C or colder, then i like to bring in about 2 days worth, but other than that i'm too lazy and bring it in as i need it.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#22 of 26 Old 10-31-2009, 12:04 PM

We haul in everyday- from outside- up the stairs thru the basement to the livingroom..
we stock up at dark with enough to get thru the night
#23 of 26 Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM

We keep one or 2 loads in the house, 2 benches (container ones) full by the front door and an outbuilding full of it. I've heard shouldn't have too much by the house - spontaneous combustion - happened to a person when we lived in Utah and the dairy man found it and saved the day.....

still learning
#24 of 26 Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM

We usually have three places for wood:
1) the BIG pile, outside
2) a smaller pile that can be replenished once a week or so (also that can be accessed w/o putting shoes on, once the snow comes)
3) the daily pile behind the woodstove

I think it is smart to have some inside as sometimes wood from the big pile is wetter than the wood that's been in the house. It seems to burn much better after it's been in for a bit, IMO.
#25 of 26 Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 AM

Luckily, our woodshed is right next to the house, so I don't have to go far to get it when it's -40F. Brr! I have this wood bag thing, with handles, I believe it was from LL Bean. My mother sent it to me--it fits about 8-10 pieces of wood. I would look into getting one. The best part about it (besides convenience, lol) is that it keeps all the nasty in-between bark bits from getting all over the floor. Oh--and you can hang it up too. Our stove holds heat really well so I don't keep a giant back-up pile in the house. But like I said, the woodshed is right next to the house.

here's some wood carriers: http://www.nextag.com/carrier-firepl...od/stores-html

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#26 of 26 Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the huge stacks of wood out by the shed. Whenever the wood rack in the garage is empty (about 2 days worth), the kids take turns filling it up from the huge stacks. Then we only bring what we need IN to the house (we have two woodstoves). We usually only use one woodstove at a time, unless it gets outrageously cold. We've never had a problem with bugs/ants in the garage.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page