Heading off the grid...appliance suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, Dh and I have been planning on building a house that is half a mile past the current power lines. Our estimate from our local electric company to get power to our site was $38,000 Sheesh, that takes a huge chunk out of the building budget!

Being off-grid is really what we always wanted to do but we didn't seem to have the info and we thought it was going to be more expensive So we've been talking with some people who are knowledgeable and we think we'll be heading full steam ahead on being off grid We're going to start with full solar, and possibly add wind down the line awhile. It really is a great location for wind, but based on suggestions we've gotten, we'll start with solar.

So anyway, the recommendation we got was to buy as many appliances that run on propane as possible. The reason I came here was to get appliance suggestions and/or ideas for alternatives.

Any other info/links/etc anyone would like to offer would be great too!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#2 of 6 Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM

From my research we came up with propane stove, solar tubes for hydronic floor heating with wood gasifier, energyalternatives.ca has some great appliances (fridges etc), we are doing washer- no dryer

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#3 of 6 Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM

www.lehmans.com sells every kind of appliance you could be looking for off grid. The website is down for some unknown reason however which is frustrating to me since I need to buy something there right now.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#4 of 6 Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 AM

Back up again!
#5 of 6 Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM

also check out realgoods.com

you will need a kill-a-watt meter so you can measure your existing tv, pc, etc.
#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2010, 02:44 PM

Check out http://backwoodssolar.com/ They are a great company and are really good about talking over the phone to answer questions and trouble shoot. We are 100% solar and we have a propane cookstove, a regular washing machine, an on demand propane water heater and a super low energy electric chest freezer that we use a thermostat to run as a fridge (I know, it sounds weird, but it works on very little power). We have wood heat as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page