Mothering Forum banner

Heading off the grid...appliance suggestions

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  farmer mama 
#1 ·
So, Dh and I have been planning on building a house that is half a mile past the current power lines. Our estimate from our local electric company to get power to our site was $38,000
Sheesh, that takes a huge chunk out of the building budget!

Being off-grid is really what we always wanted to do but we didn't seem to have the info and we thought it was going to be more expensive
So we've been talking with some people who are knowledgeable and we think we'll be heading full steam ahead on being off grid
We're going to start with full solar, and possibly add wind down the line awhile. It really is a great location for wind, but based on suggestions we've gotten, we'll start with solar.

So anyway, the recommendation we got was to buy as many appliances that run on propane as possible. The reason I came here was to get appliance suggestions and/or ideas for alternatives.

Any other info/links/etc anyone would like to offer would be great too!

See less See more
#2 ·
From my research we came up with propane stove, solar tubes for hydronic floor heating with wood gasifier, energyalternatives.ca has some great appliances (fridges etc), we are doing washer- no dryer

#3 ·
www.lehmans.com sells every kind of appliance you could be looking for off grid. The website is down for some unknown reason however which is frustrating to me since I need to buy something there right now.

#6 ·
Check out http://backwoodssolar.com/ They are a great company and are really good about talking over the phone to answer questions and trouble shoot. We are 100% solar and we have a propane cookstove, a regular washing machine, an on demand propane water heater and a super low energy electric chest freezer that we use a thermostat to run as a fridge (I know, it sounds weird, but it works on very little power). We have wood heat as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.