RV living with a larger family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need all the info I can get as dh and I are seriously discussing doing this. In May we will have 3 little ones living with us full time and a 10 year old living with us in the summers.

I am especially interested in, what size of rv you suggest, cheap places to park your rv, what areas of the country are best to be in, etc. My husband is a nurse and could easily do travel nursing for income.

Please give me all you've got!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM

We have 4 young kids and I have a step daughter too. We have been in our 33 foot fifth wheel for 2 years this coming August. The first year we spent 2 months on DH parents farm, 2 months at my parents place, travelled though the US then spent 3 months on a 180 acre farm, then went travelling again through BC and Alberta. We have now bought our own farm and are on 5 acres building a cob home.

CHeck out Families on the Road, we went to a rally last year and met 15 other families fulltime on the road to, and made some lifelong friends!
We LOVE the length of our 5th wheel, some of the other families were longer but to big to maneuver and park. Ours has no slides but we fit in it well. We adapted our back area to make a bunk room where DH and I have a almost king sized bed with a crib off the side for the youngest. Then there are 3 bunks for the 4, 6, and 7 year old down below. When StepDD comes the 4 year old sleeps up with us (and does anyways quite often!), plenty of room.
We didn't pay alot for RV parks, we boondocked alot at BLM land or a variety of places, we run on solar which payed off in all we saved on campgrounds! It depends on what time of year and where you want to travel!
Here is a link to our website www.canadianfamilyrobinson.com
For travelling US look back to last year around this time
Feel free to email me with any questions!
[email protected]

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Kim! What you are doing is exactly what we want to do! We want to travel a little bit while the kids are young and also to get more of an idea of where we want to buy land and settle down. Than we would like to get a yurt and build a cob home. I've spent a bit of time reading your blog tonight and plan on spending more time there! Thank you!!!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Oh gosh, I just found a blog of a large family that lives in their RV. They had like 8 kids! I'll look for it and see if I can find it again.

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

Old 04-30-2010, 01:06 AM

We traveled full time with two kids and two 100 lb dogs for a year and a half. We've been off the road for 10 months and are about to move back on with an additional baby (5 mo) now.

We have a 25 year old 27 ft RV.
If I could afford it I would have slide outs, but we make due just fine with our little rig.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Here is this family of 13 that live in an RV http://ticknortribe.blogspot.com/ I love reading large family blogs!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

User Tag List