handwashing clothing, wringer worth it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Due to a flood, my washer and dryer bit it. I have been handwashing things in the tub but I'm having so much trouble with the jeans. I think this may be a long-term thing for us as I really can't afford a new washer(never really used the dryer anyway) so would it be worth it to find a wringer? Everything spends hours dripping on my clothesline and it turns into an all-day affair that I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with. We are a family of one adult and three little girls who play hard and get filthy but have a very small wardrobe. With a washing machine it wasn't a big deal to wash them and hang dry but now it takes FOREVER!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#2 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, a wringer makes a huge difference. The clothes will dry far faster, your hands won't get as tired or as blistered, and you'll save alot of time. Plus, it's a little bit fun.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
any ideas where to buy? cheaply!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 9 Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 AM

I did a quick google search and the cheapest ones I found was here.
http://www.survivalunlimited.com/clothewringer.htm
If you search a bit more you may be able to find one even cheaper, I would also call around to used stores/junk stores and see if they have any or look on ebay/craigslist (if you have one in your area)

There are really good vidios on youtube about hand washing.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 AM

I found a mop bucket to be quite useful for getting lots of water out of clothes... it was about $20 on craigslist... you know, the bright yellow plastic bucket with the big mop squisher on top...

Best of luck!
#6 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 03:44 PM

I have off grid dreams but we're not even close yet - I just am all about the research lol. If you google pedal powered washing machine you'll find instructions for turning your broken machine (or any other) into a pedal powered spin cycle... looks much better to me than a wringer! Lehman's online store is a place to look for a wringer, but they might be more than you want to spend. I've also considered just having a spin dryer like this: http://www.spin-x.com/ but washing by hand...

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
#7 of 9 Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

I think something to wring out clothes would improve your quality of life and keep clothes from getting streched out all weird.

I think I would go with either the map bucket or keep my eyes out for an old school Maytag wringer washer. There are lots of washers from the 1940 an 1950 that still work great out there. It would be less work and a fraction of the price of a modern high effeceincy washer.
#8 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
I did a quick google search and the cheapest ones I found was here.
http://www.survivalunlimited.com/clothewringer.htm
If you search a bit more you may be able to find one even cheaper, I would also call around to used stores/junk stores and see if they have any or look on ebay/craigslist (if you have one in your area)
I bookmarked that site. Thanks!

They have a lot of neat stuff!

I'll be buying a wringer washer, I think. We haul water and we disconnected our plumbing because we were tired of thawing pipes after two months (after a year of not having plumbing). I like the one that attaches to the edge of a tub.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#9 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a hundred-year-old wringer from the antique store that still works fine. It was $30.

In my experience, the wringer works very well for things like T-shirts and towels. Not well on things that are too bulky, or that have buttons or snaps or zippers that can break or bend.

Since it is hand-cranked, it takes a lot of my energy to wring a full load, but it is satisfying work. (As long as I don't strain my elbow joint by wringing more than once a week.)

I recently tried using a washboard to scrub the dirt out of play clothes and was amazed at how well it worked.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page