Animal care while away on vacation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mainly I am concerned about my hens. Should I ask a neighbor or friend to stop by twice a day to let them out of the coop and put them back in the evening plus feed and water them and collect the eggs. Or should I have the girls stay in the coop the whole time and just have the friend or neighbor do the feed/water/eggs once a day with the rest of the animals? We will be gone a week and a half to two weeks. We dont leave very often so I am not sure how to work it.

mother, wife, lover of life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM

I would see what they are comfortable with. We used to pay a neighbor boy (high school age) to come care for our animals. If they are ok with letting them out everyday I would go with that.

Either way if they will help you out that is awesome.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM

not that we'll EVER get to go anywhere but when we do i was thinking of hiring someone to house sit and do things as we normally do. we'll see, though...

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM

We are taking a vacation in June~ the first in 9 years!!!!!!!!!!!
A close friend of mine is housesitting for us. She will be staying here with her dog so she can care for our dog, chickens, guinea pig (and hopefully 2 kittens by then). She is recently widowed and older and cleans houses on occasion so herschedule is flexible. We are really lucking out. She is a great caregiver and I trust her completely. That said~ we don't really have a neighbor who could do all this. But if I we had were the chickens I may have my gf up the road come and look after them.

It sounds like your girls are free-range. Do they respond to treats to lure them back into their coop? Maybe start training them a bit by shaking some scratch in a metal can and luring them in. I have a few friends who swear by this trick. Thant way your neighbor can let them out for a few hours early in the day if they feel comfortable enough to do that without worrying about getting back in time to hav ethem locked up by dusk. Just a thought.
Either way, it sounds like it will work out for you. Its great to have a neighbor's help.

Enjoy your trip!!!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three

User Tag List