Possibly very dangerous situation--WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so one of my neighbors decided he should get a donkey for free off of Craigslist. He didn't have a fence, shelter, or any knowledge of a donkey, as far as we know. Another neighbor has a donkey and goats and agreed to board this donkey until neighbor A had his fence ready. BTW, the donkey was being gotten rid of because a horse was about to foal and the owner said the donkey was aggressive. Neighbor B, who decided to board the donkey has 3 preggo goats, about to kid any minute. Donkey has been mean/kicked at/chased these goats the last few days and bit a hole in the side of the other donkey's face. Neighbor B had previously told Neighbor A that he had exactly 7 days after her goats kid to get his donkey. She would keep her does/kids penned up that long. However, after the abuse/danger to her own livestock, she took the donkey down to Neighbor A earlier. Neighbor A is very lazy and hasn't bothered to worry about getting even a water trough for this animal. He currently has it tied to the back of his junker car. I'm not kidding. This donkey is 2 doors down (we're close enough to yell at each other, but not close enough to spit at, lol), tied to this bumper (incorrectly, I might add, since it's not tied up high), w/not even some water. The fence is not finished, and he has no where to put this animal. The neighbor who lives between us is going to be really, really angry when he sees this. I don't feel safe w/my kiddos going outside, and esp. not next door now.

WWYD if this was 2 doors down from you? Is there anyone I can even call if he doesn't have this donkey secured by nightfall?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
simple. call animal control right away. if you dont know their number, call the police non-emergency line.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If OP is anything like me (out in the country in TX outside of city-limits), there is no animal control! None. If she's anything like me, we can only call the sheriff's department for something like that, and they won't really do anything unless it's a suspected rabies case.

OP - can you go over and talk to the new owner and tell them how 1- the donkey needs access to water and 2- how you are afraid he'll brake loose and hurt someone or another animal? Does anyone have a horse trailer or something he can borrow for a day? Certainly he can get a temporary shelter put up in a day?

Edit - of course, if you do have animal control, call them asap. They can send an employee out to help and advise.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM

Response surely will vary by location, but our sheriff's office would definitely step in. The donkey is in need of proper adoption and rehab, and this situation poses a threat not only to the animals and neighbors, but to the donk's new owner as well. I'd call my sheriff's office and be ready to describe the sitch in detail.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 AM

The situation would be abusive if not remedied quickly. It's unacceptable to make an animal go without access to water. I, too, would call animal control or the local police. Failing that, I would contact someone at an animal shelter, or an equine rescue (not sure if there are specific donkey rescues?) for advice or help. Unfortunately we're seeing lots of "free" animals on CL because of the economy. I hate to hear of an animal going to an inappropriate home.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 PM

Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I didn't get back til now. I woke up w/a stomach virus today.

We do have animal control.. the donkey busted the bumper off that car right at feeding time yesterday. He high-tailed it across the road and smashed down 2 fences in the process. He ran across my next door neighbor's yard RIGHT where the neighbors kids had just been (the bus brought them home).

We have 3 calls so far in to animal control, but no one has even been out here. That is not the experience I've had w/them in the past. They always came right out.

I'm going to check out the links dirtroadmama posted. Thanks.

We'll see what we can get done. I thought about calling the SPCA, too.

They do now have a cooler of water out there for him. He is still tied up, but at least they have been working on the fence. There are 3 of us neighbors watching this situation VERY closely. I'll go take that donkey a few flakes of hay and some oats myself tonight if he busts out at feeding time.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Around here I would call animal control first and a local equine rescue second and third the local SPCA. If the animal gets loose I would not touch it and would call the police to catch it. The police will probably call animal control and probably get a faster response.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
Around here I would call animal control first and a local equine rescue second and third the local SPCA. If the animal gets loose I would not touch it and would call the police to catch it. The police will probably call animal control and probably get a faster response.
I agree completely.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM

WHY do people abuse donkeys like this? Every time I hear about a donkey it's being abused.

Well, I know some people who have 3 donkeys and treat them like royalty but all the donkeys were rescued from abusive situations. (They have a horse and a barn and a paddock, so the first donkey they heard of they said it would be easy to take.. next donkey, hey, what's one more? etc.). It's cute actually, the man of the house is a HUGE guy and he likes to wrestle the donkeys They love him.

Anyway, I hope this donkey thing gets sorted out ASAP for everyone's sakes.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Hey, chicky, how about an update?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone.

I got really busy, and yesterday was helping the neighbor who boarded the donkey in question get her own donkey back, 'cause it was trying to get at the other one.

Well, the neighbor decided that everyone was right and went and bought hay and oats. Alfalfa hay. What a dork. I bought the rest of the bale off him after he finally realized he should have bought a long stem variety suitable for horses and donkeys. The donkey is being fed and watered daily. I do hope he gets out there to clean his hooves weekly, and brushes him out (was a show donkey at one time). I gave him the name of the farrier we use to use when we had a horse. We continue to watch....If we see anything else questionable, we'll call animal control.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:46 PM

Maybe animal control or something similar so they can come and cite the man into until he provides food,water,shelter,and fencing.

Ah I see he is doing some stuff.Maybe show him how to do the hooves.Sounds like the donkey was an impulse and he needs educated.I wanted goats but in the end declined since I was not ready to care for one.I learned quick to care for my hens.

User Tag List