Duck "processing" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... & relationship issues.

I bought ducklings a couple of months ago, to raise for meat, and today they got the axe (well, the cone and knife, but you know what I mean). The past couple of days have been really hard. I had friends who had offered to help, and bailed, but the worst of it was my family (parents and husband), who have spent the last three days haranguing me about how I shouldn't be doing this/am a bad person for killing animals. They all eat meat, but apparently none of them see the ethical problems of factory-farmed meat, and/or consider that to be less bad than the horror of doing it here on the family property.

Has anyone else here run into family relationship problems because of raising animals for meat? It's really hard to just ignore them, because we're all living in the same house and I have to ask their help with things all the time (like watching my 2-year-old while I work, or occasional help with heavy lifting, especially now that I'm pregnant, etc.). People I know peripherally, socially, are all for raising meat birds, but I'm feeling bogged down by all this opposition at home.
#2 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 PM

You need to call them on their hypocrisy! Then maybe make some amazing succulent duck dishes and not share with them. That is so 2 faced and big city thinking, I'll eat meat but I look down on anyone who can actually kill it for me!? WTH!? I'd refuse to cook meat for them and don't put it on your grocery list for them either, unless it's for yourself and the kids. We have our own poultry flock and we'll be using some of them for meat. I personally don't have the stomach for killing them myself, but I certainly don't judge anyone else for being able to- more power to you! My step mom and sister are both vegans and I know they are likely horrified at the thought that some of our cute animals will end up in our freezer, but they have enough respect that they don't say a word about it and at least they are consistent in their beliefs- they think it's cruel to kill animals and therefore do not eat them. For somebody to think it's cruel to kill animals in a humane fashion but have no qualms about scarfing down a hamburger is absurd. My mom is similar, my goodness she was visiting last week and she always shows more care and feeling for my animals than she does her own grandchildren! She would yell at my kids and scold them if they did the slightest thing she perceived as careless or unkind to the animals. She pestered me so badly about my poor rabbits being outside, she actually asked if she could bring them in the house to the guestroom for the night so they wouldn't be cold!!?? WTH woman, it's MAY!! To shut her up I moved the rabbits into a less secure pen in the barn and then she went to check on them sunday morning in her robe (while we were all dressed for church) and when she couldn't find them she flipped and ordered my son to go into the woodpile to look for the rabbits! Imagine my horror seeing my son in his BRAND NEW church outfit- suit, shirt, tie, shoes- all new and worn for the first time at a cost of more than $150- climbing through the off limits woodpile which has sharp branches, burrs, rusted nails, etc on orders of his Nana!!! I was pi$$ed!! I yelled at her right in front of my ds I was so mad. Told her the bunnies were safe in their pen, if she had thought to ask ME the OWNER and operator of this place she would have known, and furthermore I care a lot more about my son's new suit, not to mention his safety, than I do a flippin $4 bunny rabbit! I will not have her questioning the way I run things or my treatment of my animals when I have been the one who did countless hours of research into how to care for them, after going out EVERY SINGLE dang day whether sick, tired or pouring cold rain I was there- feeding, watering, cleaning, and interacting with my animals and I might add they are healthy and happy- I'm not going to let her parachute in with absolutely no experience and no knowledge and tell me how to do things or criticize me when I know I am doing a good job and am a very humane person. I was so miffed she made me want to throw a rabbit in the oven for dinner just to horrify her! (actually the current 3 bunnies are for pets, but we may let them breed and try our hand at rabbit meat)

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#3 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJewelsRae View Post
You need to call them on their hypocrisy! ...

I will not have her questioning the way I run things or my treatment of my animals when I have been the one who did countless hours of research into how to care for them, after going out EVERY SINGLE dang day whether sick, tired or pouring cold rain I was there- feeding, watering, cleaning, and interacting with my animals and I might add they are healthy and happy- I'm not going to let her parachute in with absolutely no experience and no knowledge and tell me how to do things or criticize me when I know I am doing a good job and am a very humane person. I was so miffed she made me want to throw a rabbit in the oven for dinner just to horrify her! (actually the current 3 bunnies are for pets, but we may let them breed and try our hand at rabbit meat)
Yeah, like, what's up with that? My parents are very much the same way, and it drives me crazy, really pushes my buttons in the worst way.

I went out to the grocery store last night and ran into several people I know who were very supportive -- one of them was telling me how great rabbit meat is, and that raising rabbits for meat is easy.

Things are settling down around here now that the thing is done, and people have laid off a bit... but it's toddler meltdown time and I've had a very long weekend.
#4 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 AM

Funny thing that is related... Yesterday I mentioned to a friend that lives next door that I was considering building another coop and raising broilers to put in the freezer. Humane, tastey, healthy, and a more "real" way to eat meat (for real, Meet Your Meat!). Her reaction was weird (considering she is a meat eater). She said, "Oh that's mean!" It was bizarre to me. Apparently most people think it's only nice to cull a chicken if it has lived a long and happy life laying eggs, or is a totally mean creature. Totally threw me off guard, though, that reaction. It really blows my mind that the majority of people in our culture can eat factory-farmed, tortured meat, but yet exclaim in horror when someone is going to raise and cull their own (in a humane way). I mean, WHAT??

Sarah, wife to dh, mama to dd 1/07/03 and ds 3/30/05
#5 of 6 Old 05-21-2010, 03:21 AM

I do not raise my own meat, but would like to one day when I have the land. When people tell me its cruel to kill and eat your own animals (unless they are vegetarian) I tell them that as an animal lover, I'd rather know that the meat I use came from animals that I know lived happy, natural lives than from a factory farm. Most of them have no idea what a factory farm is, so I elaborate a bit and they either get my point, or at least change the subject. To me it is not cruel to raise your own meat- but what happens to most animals that end up in the human food change at the hands of the meat industry is certainly cruel.

I do have to say, I think people have lost an important part of life by not having to think about where meat comes from. I know people who absolutely can not stand being reminded that their burger used to be a cow, to me, its sad and disrespectful to the cow who gave its life for their burger.
#6 of 6 Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubliette8 View Post

I do have to say, I think people have lost an important part of life by not having to think about where meat comes from. I know people who absolutely can not stand being reminded that their burger used to be a cow, to me, its sad and disrespectful to the cow who gave its life for their burger.
Well said.

Some people really don't have a clue what it takes to raise food, and what said food goes thru in order to be on their plate. Lessons my children know, and will teach their own children one day. I had someone exclaim how it was wrong that I let my 11 yo dd butcher rabbits w/her 21 yo sister. Whatever. At least my kids know how to do things for themselves and have a clue how this world REALLY works. They also learn some great anatomy lessons, lol!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page