How-tos and Rustic living tips?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright. So, I am SERIOUSLY considering this off-grid plan. I have a few questions/concerns, though, and I'm hoping some of you mamas that are farther down the off-grid path can help.

1) How much does winter suck if you don't have electricity?
2) What things did you not expect before you lived off-grid that are now part of your life?
3) Piped in running water may be last on the plan to install, (composting toilet being firstish) am I signing myself up for a world of hurt, or can hauling it from the stream (at the edge of the property, clean and abundant) work on a long-term (probably almost a year) basis for everything from showers to cooking to basic consumption?
4) What am I forgetting?
5) What skills have you needed that you wish you had before you moved off-grid?
6) Why do I feel like this seems too easy?

Any and all tips are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think any living situation is manageable, once you get into a routine. We had oil lamps and a hand pump on our well, and it was fine. I washed my laundry and the kids (not in that order) in a big wash tub, and we would fill a gallon water bottle for drinking water. I think the hardest part was the psychological aspect. I remember thinking during the transition we were crazy to be living this way with little kids. And it was so hard to keep everything clean; my standards definitely lowered in that area.

Now our house is relatively done and we have solar power, running water, and we even have a washing machine! I am totally spoiled but appreciate our luxuries.

What will you be living in?

User Tag List