Propane fridge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're in the process of building our off-grid house now. We have priced and planned on getting a propane fridge, but our contractor (and my step-father) has his doubts. He says in his experience (not sure what that is???) they are unreliable and break down often. We've only known one other person who's had one but he's had his for 10 years with no problem.

So, any brand recommendations? Any good/bad experiences? Is it truly impossible to have an electric fridge? (I know in order to answer that you'd need to know our PV size and also daily usage, neither of which I know off the top of my head!)

Thanks!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 04:54 PM

The only one I ever had was in our camper, we never had any problems with it. I have no idea what brand it was though.
#3 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 PM

3rd party experience here. Sorry none direct...

My dear friends have had one for years, just added a propane deep freeze as well, and have NEVER had any breakdown at all. They've been off grid for ... 15? ish years with the same appliances, except for their washer which is always broken! It's a super expensive energy saving front load. (Sorry no brands I can recall) They are currently borrowing my little Haier front load washer that I bought at wal-mart dot com!

The fridge and freezers-- can't recall the brand name, but they are the same brand available at Lehmans dot com.

HTH

blessings on your off grid journey!
#4 of 7 Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!

I really think it's some deep seeded dislike that our contractor has for a propane fridge and nothing that really has a story to back it up. I think we'll go with the propane fridge. And a propane deep freeze! I never thought of that! I was lamenting the fact that I'd have to truck down the road to MIL's to get anything out of the chest freezer!

#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 PM

We are off-grid and decided to buy a sunfrost electric fridge. We saved up for three years and are so happy with it. It is not much more expensive than a propane and you don't have to pay for propane to run it. Our system can handle it because it is so efficient. It was overwhelming for me to make all these decisions, everyone off-grid seems to have big opinions.

farming with 2 wild things and their hot daddy uc.jpg
#6 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 03:19 PM

You know we are considering getting an extra freezer, I'll have to look into a propane one because I worry about what would happen if we lost power in a hurricane for too long.
#7 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlecowgirl View Post
We are off-grid and decided to buy a sunfrost electric fridge. We saved up for three years and are so happy with it. It is not much more expensive than a propane and you don't have to pay for propane to run it. Our system can handle it because it is so efficient. It was overwhelming for me to make all these decisions, everyone off-grid seems to have big opinions.
Thanks for your reply! I think I remember looking at the Sunfrost, but maybe not!?? LOL, I know what you mean about being overwhelmed with lots of decisions! But I'll take a good look at one now that you've recommended it....thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page