Do chickens need food at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are just finishing up our chicken coop/tractor. The top level is enclosed and had two nesting boxes. The bottom is fenced in with chicken wire. I plan on putting the girls upstairs at night and closing the door to the downstairs part.

The question is, since their food and water containers are int he downstairs, outside part, the won't have access to it at night. So, do they need food and water at night?

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#2 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM

I haven't lived with chickens in many years, but I do know they go into 'rest' mode with nightfall. As long as they are well kept and well fed chickens, they will sleep while the sun is down. They do not eat or drink in the night. In the wild, they just roost up in a tree till predawn. Often times chickens will stir very early, like up here in the NW as early as 3 am in the summer... As long as you allow the birds access to the water and food for the day, I think you will be fine. Of course, it depends on where you live and the climate. If it is hot, you may need to make arrangements to put water upstairs in a pan... especially if you aren't up with the dawn. ok now some others that are actually keeping chickens now may be more helpful

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#3 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM

I agree with karika> i have chickens and like pp said they go into rest mode with the sunset and wakeup with the dawn.so they wouldn't be eating or drinking at night. the question is how hot is it and when would you be allowing them access? if its hot or you can't get to it til late in the morning then i'd provide water with them at night.
#4 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM

we don't keep food or water in the coop with our chickens. they don't seem to mind.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#5 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

We are near Houston, Texas, so it does get really hot. I am able to get up and let them out really early, like 5 or 6am (thanks to my kids), so I think they will be ok.

#6 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM

just to be clear, does the area you are locking them up have roosts? I wasn't sure if you were locking them in the nestboxes or not, because you do not want them to sleep in the nest boxes.
#7 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Their inside area, upstairs, has two nesting boxes on the ends, and a common area in the middle. I think I'll put a small waterer inside the common area, just in case they need it. And yes, we'll put a roosting pole in the common area.

#8 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 PM

Always good to be cautious but if you are ALWAYS getting out there 5-6 in the morning then I think they'd be fine.
#9 of 9 Old 09-04-2010, 11:07 AM

i think i'd do like you said and make sure they have access to water. food isn't necessary at night, but i'd let them out early even if they had both.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page