Mothering Forum banner

Is this a good price or a rip off for Americauna Chickens?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  talia rose 
#1 ·
I just stumbled across some Americauna chickens on kijiji that are available in my area. I have wanted these for so long and haven't been able to find any. She has 3 left- 2 pullets and a roo and wants $35 for them. I can pick them up, so no shipping charges. It's seems a bit much, but with the roo maybe I can hatch out some of my own stock from these, plus I really really want some green/blue eggs!
So, would you go for it, is it fairly reasonable, or a total rip off?!

See less See more
#4 ·
When you say chickens I assume you mean their fairly grown up? Otherwise you'd call them chicks or pullets?

If they are hens that is a steal. I wouldn't sell a good layer for under $20 each. Roos, depending on the breed, are free to $10 usually around here. But when really good, rare stock is involved I could sell juvenile pairs for $75.

So, depends on the quality -- GREATLY depends!

#5 ·
They are from early May hatch, so they are 4 month old ready to lay pullets, haven't begun laying yet.
I emailed her, think I'll go for it if they are still available.

Jennifer, I think pullet usually refers to a young hen, under a year, but usually past chick stage, IIRC.
I'd never pay past $5 for chicks, our Barred Rocks and White Rocks were all under $3 , but I can't find Americauna's from any local hatcheries and don't want to pay the shipping from the US (McMurray's).

#6 ·
That sounds like a great deal. We bought a beautiful rooster for $20 that was 18 months old. I think we made the right decision, I have never met a better americauna rooster in my life. Very good with his hens and not aggressive at all. I can't wait to get babies from him. I think you should do it. Let us know if you do and tell all about them. What colors ect. I just love my chickens.

#9 ·
So I missed out on the last ones, but I decided to put a want add on kijiji and got a reply in an hour!
Sounds like a great deal to me, she said she'd give me 2 pullets and a roo for $30, and they are from a reputable farm, parents were from McMurray's. Here's what she says:

Quote:
I have ee's, I have some young pairs and trios. They are bearded and muffed. They came from hatching eggs from a great breeder, called Skeffling lavender farms. They will lay bluey/green eggs as they come from a segregated flock.

I only have a few I want to part with, was thinking $12 each for the the pullets and 10 for the roos.

I will let 2 pullets and a roo go for 30.00
YaY!
I'm gonna go for it!

#12 ·
just a word of caution on buying laying hens off craigslist ect - we did that because we wanted instant egg satisfaction and now we realize people rarely sell good laying hens (maybe if they got too many chicks) i think ours are all older than we were told and problem chickens. now we are feeding 12 hens to get 2 eggs per day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.