Goats are driving us crazy, fencing issues!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our goats are way out of control right now. They have been jumping the fence fr the last month at first it was OK now its NOT! They are into everything, have eaten the bark off some apple trees, robbed by bananas as I was unpacking groceries, broke into the grain bin. So we have to figure out fencing. Right now we have a 4.5 foot high page wire fence obviously not enough! We have some electric fence we were thinking of running around waist height.. ANy advice from other goat owners??

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#2 of 8 Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Kim the gal I get our milk from uses 2 cattle panels on top of each other so it's about 6ft tall.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#3 of 8 Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM

I'd run electric along the top and just inside to keep them off it and make it a bit taller - and painful We have electric fence only and its ~4' tall and keeps them in just fine. As long as its on
#4 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 PM

It's amazing how much personality variations can affect your fencing needs. We had a buck that would push down anything not electrified, and he liked to snap electric wires and break them. He pushed gates until he broke latches, broke wood, whatever.

Now, I have a much calmer buck. My does used to like to squeeze through stuff, too, but my current does (a larger breed) aren't as sneaky that way. So we do OK with 4' wire fencing.

I'd agree that two strands, one on top and one lower, standing out from the existing fence, should do OK. Good luck. We had a rough go when our animals weren't securely fenced, and I understand the anxiousness. Panels are effective, too, but they need to be really well secured.
#5 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 05:18 PM

Well, we have only had our goats for about a week, but everything I have read said that electric fencing was the way to go to help with them jumping out of their pens.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#6 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM

We have 4' woven wire topped with 2 strands of barb wire. We can't use the electric because we don't have power at our barn, and its a very large area. The buck clearly wants in with our does but he hasn't been able to find a way yet (knock on wood).
#7 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 PM

Former goat owner here. We did 4' field fencing with two electric strands standing out from the fence and a third strand above the field fencing. For the electric we used the clearly visible white electric tape. No problems with that. To save the few trees they ate we wrapped the white tape around them and it worked like a charm even though not electrified.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#8 of 8 Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 AM

We have our goats trained on 4 strands of electric. After a couple zaps, we are golden. We have our gentle 4 year old Saanen buck on 3 strands.

The kids are a bit more tricky when they are younger, so we keep them in an area consisting of 4 cattle panels and then train them to the fence when they are a bit older.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page