Best place to buy bulk nuts and grains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to know where you like to buy your nuts and grains in bulk (on-line shopping only, that is). We are spending a lot of tiaway from the city where we have access to lots of options, and the local "health food" store is waaaaaaayyyy pricey. I would love to find an online source, but there are too many to get a good feel for who is reliable and has fresh products. Thanks!!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#2 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Really? Not a single suggestion??

#3 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Not sure where you are located, but have you ever looked into Azure Standard?

http://www.azurestandard.com/

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#4 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lotus View Post
I would love to know where you like to buy your nuts and grains in bulk (on-line shopping only, that is). We are spending a lot of tiaway from the city where we have access to lots of options, and the local "health food" store is waaaaaaayyyy pricey. I would love to find an online source, but there are too many to get a good feel for who is reliable and has fresh products. Thanks!!
Do you have a local co-op? Usually they can order something for you or give you their source so you can directly connect with them. I did that to find grains to sprout for my chickens.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#5 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

No local coops, unfortunately. This is a big oil/gas drilling town so there is one natural food place in town that is horribly limited in selection and rather expensive. I'm even having trouble finding semi-crunchy moms to talk to around here.

DH and I have actually talked about starting our own coop for years, so I guess this is the Universe giving us the hint to actually start our own. I was just hoping for a good source for some of the things that we buy often, so I may just have to do some more hunting around. Azure Standard looks interesting, and their prices seem pretty reasonable so I may start with them.

I would love to know of other places too, thanks!

#6 of 9 Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lotus View Post
Thanks!

No local coops, unfortunately. This is a big oil/gas drilling town so there is one natural food place in town that is horribly limited in selection and rather expensive. I'm even having trouble finding semi-crunchy moms to talk to around here.

DH and I have actually talked about starting our own coop for years, so I guess this is the Universe giving us the hint to actually start our own. I was just hoping for a good source for some of the things that we buy often, so I may just have to do some more hunting around. Azure Standard looks interesting, and their prices seem pretty reasonable so I may start with them.

I would love to know of other places too, thanks!
Well, that's a bummer, but yeah, a good time to start a co-op.

Here is one I found for looking locally: http://www.greenpeople.org/green-pro...h=organic-food

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#7 of 9 Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 PM

bulkfoods.com isn't all organic but it's an excellent resource.
#8 of 9 Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 PM

I have done special order through our local, independent grocery store. You might try wuth the local natural foods store. I get 10% off on case-size orders, in this case, the bags they fill the bulk bins from. I've been quite happy with this solution -- convenient for me & supports the local economy.
#9 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM

We order through www.somethingbetternaturalfoods.com
There are several families and we have to meet a minimum order, but their truck come right by our exit on the interstate. We meet the truck at a truck stop and unload and then divy out the goods to who ordered what. It works for us. You have to add 10% onto the prices for frieght, but that's it. You can check their schedule and give them a call and see if they come near you or if there are already folks ordering near you.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page