Vent- neighbor poisoned my chickens! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 4 hens left- I hope I can nurse them back, they are eating and drinking, and I've cleaned out the coop completely.

My dog barked and barked last night (she sleeps inside,) and when I got a chance to step outside, I saw a neighbor walking back to his house from my yard with a small bucket in hand. I asked what he was doing and he ignored me.

I checked on the chickens quickly as that's been a hugeissue for him and found fresh feed scattered. I stopped some from eating the feed on the coop floor, but apparently not soon enough. Four of them died this morning.

I called the Sheriff's office, and they are unwilling to act. It could have been 'accidental' after all.

We are moving soon, and while I would raise a ruckus if we were staying, I will not at this point in time.
#2 of 51 Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 PM

WHAT??!??! I can not believe someone would do that on purpose. What a terrible, terrible person! So sorry for your loss!

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#3 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I have terrible neighbors- however, one of them in the mayor. I have very little recourse as I'm not part of the Old Boys Club here.
#4 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM

OMG!!! What did they have against your chickens??? That is freaking sick!

I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
#5 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM

I'm sorry. That is just freaking awfull. People suck.
#6 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM

wow...I hate people some times. argg what a gross and horrible man.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#7 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM

That's terrible! I'm so sorry about your chickens

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#8 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I live on the outskirts of a town that passed an 'animal ordinance' after I got the chickens (having already spoken to the one neighbor close enough to worry about- he's fine.) The new ordinance means that I can't replace any of them as they die of old age (or, are killed off- even.) One neighbor ringed several of our young trees this summer as he believes that trees lower his property value (he is of the 'better living through chemistry' approach to his own golf-course style lawn) and another sprayed pesticides and herbicides all over our garden as he didn't 'want anything to infest his place'. Organic is a curse word in these parts.

Essentially, I made the mistake of trying to live in an area where my thoughts and beliefs are scary.
#9 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 PM

OMG. That is freaking terrible. I'd be throwing a fit. I would. I'd be getting restraining orders and putting up electric fencing and letting them get hurt/sick on your property. I would. Cause' they can't sue you - what for? THEY are the ones tresspassing.
erthe_mama likes this.
#10 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM

nak

those poor hens, no-one deserves such a painful death.

one midnight before you go water his lawn with strong brine, or just plain old chuck salt on it. you could write a pretty message for him. i could not rise above such brutality.
erthe_mama likes this.
#11 of 51 Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM

oh my! how terrible. i would go the whole electric fence route too. not only did they kill your chickens but they are poisoning your garden?!?! which means poisoning your family?!?! i would be livid.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#12 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'm gone through being outraged over the course of the past several months- at this point, I'm just working on maintaining. We are moving sooner rather than later, as it became clear that this would not be a 'forever' place for us. It breaks my heart, and I was devastated about my poor hens.

I struggle with how angry I can be at this particular man as he was recently diagnosed with significant brain tumors (the sort people only really develop when they work with nasty chemicals for long periods of time) and I know his time in this world is limited. I also wonder if that has influenced his judgment- so that while these might be things you'd consider when annoyed, he crosses the line to DO them when he otherwise would not have.
#13 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM

Install a game cam to record any future trespass.Glad to read you are moving.NFH are the worst.Not sad to hear he is ill.
#14 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM

Oh how horrible! I'm so sorry it happened to you.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#15 of 51 Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 PM

I hope you can move very soon. So sorry, mama. This is disgusting.
#16 of 51 Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree with installing a camera and fencing.

I wonder about the unwillingness of the police to act though. Presumably whatever poison he used is also dangerous to others - including children.

Do you have the wherewithall to collect some of the feed and have a lab test it yourself? Are private prosecutions possible in your jurisdiction?
#17 of 51 Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I have 4 hens left- I hope I can nurse them back, they are eating and drinking, and I've cleaned out the coop completely.

My dog barked and barked last night (she sleeps inside,) and when I got a chance to step outside, I saw a neighbor walking back to his house from my yard with a small bucket in hand. I asked what he was doing and he ignored me.

I checked on the chickens quickly as that's been a hugeissue for him and found fresh feed scattered. I stopped some from eating the feed on the coop floor, but apparently not soon enough. Four of them died this morning.

I called the Sheriff's office, and they are unwilling to act. It could have been 'accidental' after all.

We are moving soon, and while I would raise a ruckus if we were staying, I will not at this point in time.
this is awful! At least you can press charges for trespassing.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#18 of 51 Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 PM

I would call the state police and tell them you want to press charges on the neighbor for trespassing and cruelty to animals and your local police have refused to cooperate with you.
#19 of 51 Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynsage View Post
I would call the state police and tell them you want to press charges on the neighbor for trespassing and cruelty to animals and your local police have refused to cooperate with you.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#20 of 51 Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 PM

I don't see how a man WALKING to your yard PURPOSEFULLY throwing food into a hen area is accidental in any way. Even if he THOGUHT the food was "good" he still should be responsible. Call until they take you seriously. Killing pets can not legal!! Ugh I'm livid reading about it
#21 of 51 Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 AM

Killing other's personal property, animals, is not legal. I'd be talking to the higher ups until you get someone who will take this seriously. Brain tumors that might be affecting his behavior? All the more reason to get on this. What if he thinks your kids are too noisy! I also wouldn't be averse to accidently dropping a few handfuls of nails in his driveway.
#22 of 51 Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM

is it truly awful that what came to mind was that we defend our property with firearms? that dude could have seriously gotten shot as an intruder, accidentally.
baileyb likes this.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#23 of 51 Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Good grief! That is awful. There is no way that was accidental. I would get a camera too. I also would keep calling until someone agrees to do something about it.
#24 of 51 Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I struggle with how angry I can be at this particular man as he was recently diagnosed with significant brain tumors (the sort people only really develop when they work with nasty chemicals for long periods of time) and I know his time in this world is limited. I also wonder if that has influenced his judgment- so that while these might be things you'd consider when annoyed, he crosses the line to DO them when he otherwise would not have.
This is entirely possible. When we lived in Phoenix, our next door neighbor had a brain tumor and not much time to live, and she was HORRIBLE. She did crazy, erratic things like banging on our door in the middle of the night to scream at us about our dog barking (when he wasn't), saying that someone should throw our then 8-year-old daughter into the trunk of a car and dump her out in the desert (she said this to her own 5-year-old daughter!), and accosting our landlord to claim that we were destroying the house and yard (she'd never been in our house or backyard!!) Her husband told us that she was never like that before the tumor.

While you might feel sorry for your neighbor, realize that if his thinking is really so impaired by the tumor, that means he is not in control and he is DANGEROUS. I totally agree with PP -- what if he decided your kids were annoying him? Or you or your husband? If he doesn't recognize that it's not ok to poison chickens, he may not be capable of recognizing that it's not ok to poison people. So yes, move out of there as soon as you can, but don't give up on pursuing legal means to keep this man away from your home and family in the meantime! Even if all you accomplish is a paper trail to prove that he was a danger should you ever have to defend yourself against him!

Oh, and I'm from Texas. Get a gun!!
DannysMomma likes this.

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.
#25 of 51 Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I had a chat with the county attorney today about this. She was sympathetic, but also warned me that it would not be likely to go anywhere even if I contacted outside law enforcement. (I trust her, she's a friend, and we kind of survive on the fringes in a very mainstream town.) She is active in animal rescue, and the same man actually used one of the dogs she was rehabilitating to take care of another flock of chickens. He took the dog from her fenced yard and let it loose in another chicken coop in town. He has an irrational chicken vendetta.

It's overwhelmingly frustrating to live where I do, and to know that there really is no support from the police about things like this. To his credit, the Sheriff is pretty good about some things, but others are swept under the rug. Local media is not a viable outlet. The local editor writes what she is directed to write, and only what she is directed to write. She will not cover anything that will ruffle feathers. We have been through four county attorneys in two years- they all leave when they come up against the powers that be and realize that they do as they are told or the position is eliminated. It feels much like a bad Twilight Zone plot.

We can't leave soon enough for my comfort.
A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#26 of 51 Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 AM

thats really awful...do you live in the south ?

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#27 of 51 Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Hopefully you will be able to move soon.I don't recall if there is still a rotten neighbor site,but if there is he should be listed as a neighbor to avoid.Maybe he is nice as long as you have no pets,but I still wouldn't want to live next to him.

That is my fear about moving-getting worse neighbors.

I would keep my hens and other pets in a makeshift coop in our garage if I had a neighbor like him.Unfortunately he would probably throw all kinds of poison pellets in the yard,so your hens would not be safe even with you next to them.
#28 of 51 Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM

I would surely get a gun.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#29 of 51 Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 AM

Yeah, too bad SSS doesn't apply in this situation. Ugh.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#30 of 51 Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Formatting this post is super weird, sorry about that.  And sorry about your chickens--that's terrible

eyesroll.gif

I can understand that you want to protect your privacy, but could you share your general location--just so I don't move there by accident?  eyesroll.gif Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page