dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, and dish soap - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

Hope this is the right place to post but i am wondering what you all use for these? i just looked at my 7th generation dish soap and it seems to be filled with naturally derived chemicals! any luck with more natural ways to wash? i have tried natural methods for laundry and our clothes just end up looking really dull!

thanks for any ideas you might have!

lisa

#2 of 8 Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM

I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to order some soap nuts soon for doing laundry.  I was reading that you can boil them on the stove and use the liquid for the dishwasher.  Right now I'm using the Ecover dishwasher tablets and I was reading a website that gives revies on natural stuff and it rated it as low toxicity.  But I'm thinking the soap nuts will be a better alternative so long as they work well.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#3 of 8 Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Soap nuts are awesome. I use Biokleen right now, I also use the dishwashing detergent to wash my hair... You can also use castile soap (Dr Bronner's) for laundry. I've never used it personally but my bff washes her clothes by hand and that's what she uses.

Good luck :)

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#4 of 8 Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

i have used soap nuts before, but maybe will try again.

alaska berry, dishwashing detergent for your hair? how did you think to try it? how does it work? i am never sure about the biokleen or 7th generation products in terms of how natural they really are. i guess i should check EWG web site. by the way, i live in Fairbanks for 3 years. '93-'96. still miss it!

lisa

#5 of 8 Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 PM

currently, biokleen with about a cup of vinegar is the only thing that works in my dishwasher AND is pretty natural (my other option was cascade complete)  I also use rockin' green for laundry.  I am still using a blue dawn dish soap bottle.  I bought it in case i needed to strip diapers and haven't finished it yet hehe.

#6 of 8 Old 12-17-2010, 05:06 PM

I don't know...I wasn't really impressed with Seventh Gen.  I use all Ecover, the dishwasher tabs, dish soap, and laundry detergent.  I love all of them. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#7 of 8 Old 12-19-2010, 03:24 PM

We use Biokleen dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent.  After going through a few different products this brand works the best for us.  

#8 of 8 Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM

Daisy--well, it said you could use it for bubble bath or pet shampoo...so I figured if it was ok for a pet it was ok for me, too. And it smells great! I use the grapefruit one.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page