I am always cold - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies. I am wrtiting to see how you are able to keep yourself warm during the winter months. I am always old.

I layer clothing and still can not seem to stay warm. This is tough for me because this leads to me hibernating in my home.

What do you do to stay warm during the winter months?

Thanks for reading

Elizabeth

#2 of 21 Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm right there with ya, sister.

Wear a hat in the house.  Exercise.  Might want to get your thyroid checked if you haven't already.  Hot beverages. Fingerless mittens.  Not being afraid to look like Old Mother Hubbard under a pile of blankets, hat, *and* fingerless mittens on the couch.

#3 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Our heat is always set to the same (fairly low) temperature, but some days it just feels colder. I know we lack insulation so I think on the colder nights you can really feel the cold pressing in on you. 

I've been layering shirts differently Instead of tshirt + sweater. Right now I have a long shirt on (almost long enough to be a dress) a shorter long sleaved shirt and then a tshirt over that. And if I was still chilly, I'd put my house sweater on, one that buttons up instead of a pullover. For some reason, long sleave with tshirt over feels warmer than the other way around... and the long shirt really helps keep the lower back/hips warm. I hadn't realized how chilly that area was!

Other than that: wool slippers cut from felted sweaters, sewn boot style to keep ankles warm. Fleece liners. Socks. 

Flannel pants or sweat pants. (something thicker).

Blankets on couch etc to snuggle in. 

Move around and exercise when cold. Indoors or out. Actually, doing work outside (shoveling driveway etc) then coming back in makes me realize how warm the house is. ;)

Sip warm beverages, eat soups and stews; hearty food! 

When all else fails, I take a long hot bath for those chilled to the bone/can't get warm evenings then go to bed and read. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#4 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM

I feel better inside for longer after I was outside shoveling. Usually I am freezing inside and wear sweats,and can not wait to get under my covers for the night. I drink herbal teas,but the warmth in me does not last long. I think the movement/exercise works/lasts the longest.

#5 of 21 Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM

I wear long underwear all winter- not just when I'm going outside. And a hat in the house definitely makes you feel warmer. Make sure its a nice tight knit. For outside, I have a rabbit fur hat that is toasty. Actually, its so hot that even vwhen its -20F I have to take it off after a bit to let my head cool down. smile.gif I have shearling slippers that keep my feet pretty warm. An electric blanket for night. I turn it on a bit early to warm my bed up before hopping in. And layers, I wear on top say, long underwear, a t shirt, and zipper hoodie all the time. The zipper hoodie is nice because if I'm warm, I can unzip, or take it off, or roll up the sleeves, so its like 4 different heat settings.

Also, try to remember that if you are going outside, activity will make you warmer. I've been taking some winter walks lately, and the first 10 minutes I'm freezing, but then I start to warm up again. I mean, its still cold, but my fingers warm up some in my gloves and I can think of other stuff besides how cold it is. Also, get something with a wind shield. I wear fleece gloves and the fleece liner to my jacket most of the time, but I find if its windy, the wind cuts right through the fleece. Adding a "shell" layer really helps with that.
#6 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 PM

We moved back up north after several years down south.  I haven't been taking it well.  I wear a pair of silk long johns with lined exercise pants or fleece pajama pants over them.  I have fleece socks with a wool pair over them and then a pair of slippers.  I usually wear a silk long john shirt, a turtle neck, and a wool sweater, it's a little hard because I breast feeding.  I wear a fleece hat indoors and wear the baby, she never seems to be cold.  If all else fails, I wear the snuggie my MIL gave me for Christmas and try to coax the one of the dogs to sit on my feet.  I also have a portable electric heater I use in the colder rooms.  My husband and kids think I'm crazy since they are in a tee shirt and jeans.

Loving my life with J. and our kiddos Oldest Son 6/1997, Oldest Daughter 5/1998, Middle Son 9/2002, Youngest Son 10/2003 and our new baby girl 12/10 joy.gif  and our dog2.gif  dog2.gifcat.gifgoldfish.gif goldfish.gifgoldfish.gif
#7 of 21 Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 AM

It's amazing how warm silk long underwear can be.  Use that as a first layer, with a shirt or polar fleece shirt over that.  A lightweight down vest as a third layer really helps.  You want to keep your core warm.  You can also get silk liners to wear under your socks.  We have handwarmers-the kind you shake to activate-that we use for outdoor activities, and they last about 4 hours or so.  They're cheap and you could always stick some in a vest pocket for some extra hand warmth when you want it.

#8 of 21 Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 AM

We just bought a $30 ceramic heater that oscillates. It has made a 10 degree difference in the 12'x38' room it's in, and a 5-8 degree difference in the adjoining rooms. I am completely astonished. It's 1500 watts. It will be cheaper to run than the radiator style heater we were using, and the difference is amazing.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#9 of 21 Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Scarves - Our office is cold and there are drafts.  This winter, I have been wearing scarves a lot every day, just small silk ones and it makes a HUGE difference in how warm I feel.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#10 of 21 Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM

I am a huge fan of shearling.I have UGG-type boots, shearling mittens, and slippers. I dream of having a hat someday, too. They make a huge, huge difference. I also love my silk long underwear. I've heard great things about really good wool long undies, but silk is what I've worn since I was a teenie-bopper, and I've always been happy with it.

#11 of 21 Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM

My tricks when it is really cold:

-  down slippers with "grabber" toe warmers in each slipper

-  two toe warmers stuck between layers of sweaters, placed on my back

-  a hat and a hood

-  hot drinks

Warmest type of layer (think jacket, vest, wrap) is down!

In terms of your house -- I think any type of draft, even a slight one, makes a house feel colder irrelevant of actual air temp.  Our house warmed up when we replaced the windows and the perpetual draft was gone. 

As for best heat -- an awesome woodstove, try to get one w/a glass window because just seeing fire makes you feel warm.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#12 of 21 Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM

I love my hot water bottle.  When I'm fluing or the wood stove hasn't been lit yet, I will make my self a hot water bottle, wrap it in a towel and sit it on my lap.  I love how it takes the chill out.  They are getting hard to find in America (if that's where you are from) but you can find them in enema kits! haha.   My kids always ask for one when they are sick. 

#13 of 21 Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM

I try and avoid sitting.  When you sit you get cold.  

Quality layers & silk long underwear.  I say quality because there is so much variation from brand to brand.  I have a patagonia fleece that is amazingly warm and a thicker land's end that is basically summer wear.  I also wear a thinsulate vest all winter.  

When I am really cold a hot shower helps.

Hats inside.

#14 of 21 Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Ugg slippers.  I've never been a slipper person before, but I've been wearing slippers all winter and it's made a HUGE difference for me.

And like the PPer, if I get cold it's usually because I've been sitting in one place too long.  It helps to get up and do some laundry, wash some dishes, sweep the floor, anything active. 

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#15 of 21 Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM

???  I'm sorry, I don't usually come to this forum, so I'm not sure what "off the grid" means.  Do you not have heat in your house?  

I stay warm by having a furnace, and using it.  We keep the thermostat at 70-72 all winter long.  We also have space heaters in the basement rooms, because they stay colder.  When we leave the house, I put on a coat and boots, and try not to linger outside, just straight to the car, and then from car into the store or wherever we are going.   We have little  blankets in the car we put over the kids until it warms up if there wasnt a way to warm it up beforehand.   I have heard of people wearing those Snuggie blankets too.  

CPST
#16 of 21 Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM

I haven't seen this mentioned-tuck things in.  Make sure your layers overlap so air can't come in direct contact with your skin at your ankles or waistline.  Shearling slippers work wonders.  I wear a scarf inside and out.

It's better to have a very few warm, comfortable things than lots of so-so things, so save up and buy quality.  Btw, this is a good time of year to get warm stuff.  Most places are having sales.

BobandJess,  People keep their home temperatures lower in the winter and higher in the summer to save money and non-renewable resources.  Off the grid means not connected to the power grid, but I think a lot of people who read and post here (me, anyway) just try to reduce their use of resources.

#17 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 PM

Other than everything already mentioned, fleece sheets. I had no idea they existed and I was joking when I asked for some for Christmas, but my mom found some for us. They help at night since I don't run our propane heater once I go to bed. I also have some down slippers made by Acorn that are very nice and warm.

Disabled queer mama to one preteen, one teenager, 5 cats, 7 chickens, & 1 dog

...granola punk urban homesteaders...

homeschool.gifautismribbon.gif

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love."

-Gandalf, The Hobbit

#18 of 21 Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Eat thermogenic foods. 

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#19 of 21 Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Wool.  We love SmartWool for base layers.  Ugg-type boots rock too. 

#20 of 21 Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 AM

A down jacket is a big plus. LLBean, LandsEnd, North face and the like all make these super lightweight jackets that are really warm with hardly any bulk. A down vest is great addition too.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#21 of 21 Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I second Smartwool.  We all have their long underwear and wear them constantly.   We wear them as PJs at night and under our clothes during the day.  

When it dips into the -30 C range, I am bundled in Smartwool long undies, a long T-shirt, a wool sweater and a down coat for out doors.  A heavy scarf and hat.  Wool mittens with a waterproof outer layer.  Wool socks and Sorel boots.  Nice and toasty!   

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page