Found that putting a dark red heat buld in my coop kept my hens laying regualrly throw out the winter. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use to keep a Broader buld in my coop for some extra heat,   I recently put a Dark red heat bulb in there at night so that when I turned out the other bulb at 9 it still remained warm.  The egg productivity doubled.   I do not have a huge coop but it is big enough to hold 20 birds  ( 6w x 6h x 8l )  so the birds are never in danger of getting to hot.  keeps it around 60 degrees.  Worrked great for me and I was no longer worried about the chickes getting sick from the temp dropping in the singles at night some times

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing! I had to put a heat lamp in my silkie's coop this year, because they were so sensitive. I did not put one in with my Jersey Giants though, and they didn't lay eggs for me all winter. Maybe I should have given them a red heat lamp too!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 AM

It's the amount of daylight hours that's the issue so you don't need a heat lamp, just a regular one. Mine were laying fine at -16 (with a regular bulb) until they started molting.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 AM

I have my 8 hens in a metal shed.No insulation. I cut 4 smallish square holes in the walls and taped plexi glass to them. First winter my 3 red sex link hens gave me 2-3 eggs a day.Now I have the new 5 (blue egg layers) and the 3 red sex link, and I get about 4-6 eggs a day.

I do think the silkies need heat. I get a chicken catalog for Meyers Hatchery,and it will list the cold hardiness for each breed along with egg laying.Very useful to have on hand.

Keep warm and safe!!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 PM

We have 2 red bulbs in our coop...same size coop as OP...We consistently get 5-9 eggs a day from our 11 hens.  Three weeks ago it was -27 F at our house and we still got 5 that day.

Full time WOH Social Worker momma (28) to DD(8), DS (2) and DS (6 months), Wife to Ben (30), the love of my life! Thyroid cancer survivor!  Running the house while Hubby works on the road!    caffix.gif

User Tag List