Bees - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm looking to order our bees (1st time ever having a hive) and was looking for input on where to order from and what types you like...We live in the upper peninsula of Michigan so would need something cold hardy...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Full time WOH Social Worker momma (28) to DD(8), DS (2) and DS (6 months), Wife to Ben (30), the love of my life! Thyroid cancer survivor!  Running the house while Hubby works on the road!    caffix.gif
#2 of 4 Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM

I live in Texas, so big difference in climate.  We looked around for area beekeepers and ended up befriending an old timer.  He's 89 and has been a keeper of the bees for over 50 years.  We got our first 2 colonies plus hives from him.  We attend a local beekeepers meeting once a month.  I would look for something like that in your area.  Also, shipping on hives is really outrageous.  I just managed to score 5 hive bodies plus frames for FREE.  A man had them sitting in an airplane hanger along w/70 more I wish I could get my hands on but I'll not be greedy, lol.  Saved us $500!  There are also usually people you can find locally who make hives.  Maybe those same people will sell colonies of bees if they have them.

Just things to look for.  HTH.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#3 of 4 Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM

We are in Houghton and keep bees successfully.  You can order nucs from a man in Bruce Crossings ( he recommends Italians) and Brushy mountain bee supply is a great resource.  Beekeeping for dummies is our favorite book...

#4 of 4 Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmama View Post

We are in Houghton and keep bees successfully.  You can order nucs from a man in Bruce Crossings ( he recommends Italians) and Brushy mountain bee supply is a great resource.  Beekeeping for dummies is our favorite book...

We attended our first beekeeping seminar on Saturday. There were over 900 people there and a ton of vendors. The one thing they kept stressing was how important it was to get in with your local beekeeping club because they would have the best advice on how to keep bees in your area.

I also heard more than once that Beekeeping for Dummies was a great book.

I've already ordered my bees and have the top bar hive waiting for them. I can't wait!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page