We got our PIGS! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will try to post pictures soon. We got 2 piglets about a week ago. They are cute and smart. They are in a barn that is connected to our house, till we can figure out what kind of house we want for them during the summer. I am thinking they are going to VERY smelly once the weather gets warm.lols My dh bought 4 pig panels and made a temporary outdoor pen for them. They are so funny, though. They oink at me from in the pen and want to be let out, to roam our property. We have a lot of land and are thinking of using them to clear some of it.

I have so many questions about raising them. I got a book from the library and have looked up a lot of things, but I still feel like I need to have someone walk me around THEIR pig pen and show me the ropes.

#2 of 3 Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Congrats!!  I know you'll love them, pigs are so fun!

Pigs root, so whatever fencing you use (not sure about electric though) you'll have to bury in the ground so they don't root right out.  We've had lots of pigs, so ask away!

#3 of 3 Old 04-08-2011, 01:24 PM

I love pigs. We were just gifted 8 babies. Their mother has mastitis and lost all her milk so we have to feed them milk replacer. Our previous pig had a 40x80 ft paddock all to herself and it never smelled bad. It's just regular wire farm fence with an electric line running a foot off the bottom on the inside so she doesn't root underneath.

Pigs are so much fun and sooo easy to raise. Nothing to em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page