Chicks & Turkeys (adding to the flock) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok so I am officially a chick-a-holic. While picking up some new chicks to add to our flock, I got carried away. I set out to buy a few buff orphingtons, I also ended up with 2 White Crested Black Polish Bantums (my daughter begged for these due to cuteness) and 2 bronze turkeys (a first for us) ...The little Bantums peck at those turkeys all day long. Today we came home and one of the turkeys was dead. Did the bantums peck it to death? Have any of you seen that happen? right now i have the mean little Bantums in another box with some older chicks to separate them. I think I want to get rid of them....I was told it was ok to keep baby turkeys with chicks until they go outside. Have any of you done that? All advice appreciated....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#2 of 3 Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM

It's not recommended to put them together till they get a bit older. Ours are a couple months now and we still don't have all the turkey chicks in with our chicken chicks.  We have the turkey chicks in a rabbit cage atm.  The bigger ones are in a large dog run that we have our small hens in.  Once they all get bigger, we'll move them in with our layers.  

There will always be a pecking order with poultry though.  You just have to keep a close eye on it and if one is a real bully, he'll need to be by himself till he gets big enough to go in the freezer.

caffix.gif Java addicted wife of tiphat.gif mother of biggrinbounce.gif biggrinbounce.gif newly converted country girl chicken3.gif

#3 of 3 Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks i had been told the opposite - that they were fine together as babies but had to be separated after 6 weeks....i ended up putting the bullying bantums in with the chicks that were a few weeks older and that calmed them down...

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

Tags
Organic Grace

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page