Living in a camper/rv with kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone...........Has anyone here ever lived in a camper/rv with kids? What was your experience like?

I'm a single mom and I've seriously thought about buying  one to live in. My kids are 15 and 12. Plus we have 2 cats. I could put it on my mom's property on the back acre. It's the acre that I put my money in years ago (electricity, septic tank, water lines) etc.

Plenty of shade trees and so forth. Very peaceful out here. Or I could buy one and move it to a rv park and pay rent there. The couple of people I've talked to about it, thinks it's a dumb idea. To me, it's cheaper than rent. Plus we have pets. Also if we needed to move it, I could find someone who's got a big truck to move it. If I ever need to sell it, I might be able to get my money back on it.

Maybe we'd live in it for a year or two until I got on my feet. Anyone else ever done it? Or did you know someone close who did? Any tips or so forth that you could give me?

Thanks in advance...........

I'm a single, self-employed, homeschooling mom of 2 great kids. Girl 9/95 and Boy 3/99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 PM

familiesontheroad.net has stories of families living in RVs they travel in. We're definitely considering it in the future when we have the financial ability to buy an acreage, while we build a house. At those ages, I would definitely get an RV that has a way to configure it where everyone has a chance for some privacy. Maybe a bunkhouse style, or a fifth wheel and make a curtain or "door" that can close off the loft bed...

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM

It sounds great to me, and like you have really thought about it. I don't think it is for everybody (hence the negative feedback you have gotten), but don't let that stop you!

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 AM

For what you are thinking of, a park model would probably work well - bigger than a regular trailer, not moveable by a regular truck. I agree with the PP, at your kids' ages, they need separate space, hence the park model.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM

We're a family of 6 [kids aged16 - 5] & we live in an RV. It's been almost a year now, I think & no one's been strangled. ;-)

I think whether or not it will work really depends on those involved. Some people can adjust to the close quarters, others can't. Have you asked your kids what they think of the idea? Are they receptive or think it's zomg the worst idea ever?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I will check out that website and research more online. My kids are ok with the idea as long as it's not a little bitty camper. I hope that makes sense. When we go to town and so forth, I'll point out campers that people have set up and we'll discuss whether or not we think it would be the right size for us or not.

I will defintely research it more before I put down the cash. I've seen a lot of them for sale on craigslist and in our paper.

Thanks again everyone!

I'm a single, self-employed, homeschooling mom of 2 great kids. Girl 9/95 and Boy 3/99.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:11 PM

We've been in an RV for two years now. It's how things flowed and we're now looking for a house as the timing is right. All of us (kids now 16 and 13) are mostly okay with it...but it has it's moments where you just feel you're in a tiny space of a box with nowhere to move. We're all still alive though. lol

Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I lived in a pop-up camper with four siblings, a neice, two dogs, and two parents when I was 10.  It was crazy, but I started to love the outdoors because of it.  No laziness problems with that type of living situation.  It helped us all to be super close and tight-knit.  I think our relationships are better because of it.  And it was way better than being homeless!!!!! ( I had kind of a crazy childhood.)

"When one who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest!"
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 AM

We lived in our 5th wheel for 607 nights smile.gif for some of it we travelled and the rest we were on our land where we built our cob home and moved into it about a month ago!! We have 6 kids but my stepdaughter is only with us on occasion so 5 usually smile.gif our 5 th wheel
Is 33 ft, awesome layout for families!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM

I have thought about doing this also.  I think it's great especially if your mom has property for you to live on, go for it!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM

I've been living in a 5th wheel for almost a year now with two kids, ages 9 and 12. We started out in an old trailer I bought for $200 that needed repairs. The kids had to share a big bed. Then we added an additional newer 5th wheel that we are renting from my boyfriend's sister. This felt huge after a few months in the other one and the kids share a room but have separate beds now. A few months later we added a cabover for my daughter (the older child) to have her own space. We have all of this on my friends' mountain property and it is entirely off-grid. I live here in exchange for working at their campground/ spiritual retreat center.

Well, then my boyfriend moved in a few months ago and the added adult is a bit much. On top of that I am going through disability issues, so we've decided to give up trailer life for a house in town. But, if the kids are adventurous and willing to give it a try, it does work. It saved us from being homeless.

Disabled queer mama to one preteen, one teenager, 5 cats, 7 chickens, & 1 dog

...granola punk urban homesteaders...

homeschool.gifautismribbon.gif

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love."

-Gandalf, The Hobbit

Old 07-18-2011, 06:47 PM

Hi, totally new to this site...found it looking for rv information lol. Looks awesome though. Anyway am looking to do this myself in the next month. Was wondering about winter months. I've read that it can get quite cold. How do you prevent this? Also something about walls perspiring from the heat inside and the cold outside? I also have a mother with an extra lot. We're thinking maybe we can just hook up a heavy duty cord to keep electric and a hose for water? Is that workable? We have no experience in this. I really had no idea people did this and it just came to me recently as a way to save money. Any help would be great. Also, curious as to how to create more area to store items. I know you have to limit things, but with there being 2 of us I'm not seeing the availability for clothing much less shoes and other misc stuff. Would you put dvds in a holder? Not sure lol.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 AM

Our family of six (kids ages 8 - 1) have lived in our rv for the last 15 months.  We love it!  Regarding your specific questions Firedance....

Was wondering about winter months. I've read that it can get quite cold.  If at all possible, look for a camper with an ARTIC Package and double paned windows.  Have a heat pump (addon to a/c unit) installed to save on propane costs.  

Also something about walls perspiring from the heat inside and the cold outside? You must keep a window or two cracked to eliminate the condensation.   We had weeping walls once - and then solved it by opening a vent. 

I also have a mother with an extra lot. We're thinking maybe we can just hook up a heavy duty cord to keep electric and a hose for water? Is that workable? You'll need to install (or have an electrician install) a 30 amp outlet and breaker.  You could fry / burn up the house and or RV if you just try to run a regular extension.  

We have no experience in this. I really had no idea people did this and it just came to me recently as a way to save money. Any help would be great. Also, curious as to how to create more area to store items. I know you have to limit things, but with there being 2 of us I'm not seeing the availability for clothing much less shoes and other misc stuff. Would you put dvds in a holder? You would rip your dvds to your pc ;)

There are tons of blogs of families doing it right now at http://fulltimefamilies.com/family-members-2/blogs/

Old 08-30-2011, 03:44 PM

We lived in a 30ft camper for seven years. I birthed my first there unassisted. We used it as instant housing while we built around the land. Our 520 square ft strawbale house is so luxurious now! LOL you know, indoor toilet, indoor water, hot even if its not super cloudy. Wood heat instead of propane. I say if the kids are up for it go for it!! The best advice I can think of besides to stay flexible is have outbuildings! An outhouse or bathhouse, or your parents house so when its snowing for days there's a place for the most sensitive or irritated family member to go to. And whats the most likely worst case senario? You re-sell it? Best case scenario...jeez, skills all around, adolescent appreciation of material comforts,...

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh

User Tag List