Raising geese as "guard dogs" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't think this belongs in the pets section, although I guess they could be pets.

We were burglarized four months ago.  I haven't gotten too many good nights sleep since.  A dog isn't an option as I can't handle any more toddlers right now.

A friend suggested getting a goose.  What a thought!  I have to wonder if this just might work.

Has anyone here ever had geese as watchdogs?  I hear they are low-maintenance and may be a good experience for my kids in learning to care for animals (and me, too).

Any thoughts on this?

I'd love to get a good nights sleep again...

#2 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM

I'm so sorry you were burglarized.  (((Hugs)))

Have you thought about an older dog?  They are done with the toddler-like behavior and rescues will know if the dog has protective tendencies. 

I'm not sure a burglar would be afraid of just one goose.

#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 04:26 PM

Geese are fantastic guard animals, but they guard everything, and not in the nicest ways.  And you would need to have more than just one, but they are fairly easy to keep, especially if you like a well fertilized lawn.  When my sister and I got goslings as children, they completely imprinted on us and followed us everywhere.  However, when they matured, they became very territorial and would sound an alarm at anything new.  They would also chase us and bite our behinds so much that we had to carry sticks with us to beat them off.  On a positive note, very few visitors ever got out of their cars until we showed up to help them.  Any geese we get now end up roasted before they have a chance to get nasty.  Instead, we have livestock guardian dogs (Maremmas), and their barks warn everyone visiting, but I feel completely confident in leaving them around my DS. 

#4 of 8 Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaz-b View Post

Geese are fantastic guard animals, but they guard everything, and not in the nicest ways.  And you would need to have more than just one, but they are fairly easy to keep, especially if you like a well fertilized lawn.  When my sister and I got goslings as children, they completely imprinted on us and followed us everywhere.  However, when they matured, they became very territorial and would sound an alarm at anything new.  They would also chase us and bite our behinds so much that we had to carry sticks with us to beat them off.  On a positive note, very few visitors ever got out of their cars until we showed up to help them.  Any geese we get now end up roasted before they have a chance to get nasty.  Instead, we have livestock guardian dogs (Maremmas), and their barks warn everyone visiting, but I feel completely confident in leaving them around my DS. 

That.  I was chased constantly whenever I was outside by our geese growing up. 

#5 of 8 Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of having a separate yard for them during the day and then letting them roam free at night.

Do they make noise all the time, like if a cat walks into the yard or a car drives by?

At what age do they start to get mean?  Or is that the age you want them to be in order to protect the home?

#6 of 8 Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 PM

I don't know much about the care and upkeep of a goose, but I will say I saw my friend "attacked" by a goose before (she was fine) and I definitely think it would deter a burglar!

But I would worry it would chase the kids around.

#7 of 8 Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Geese like to sleep at night, and as most birds, can't see too well either.  If something very disruptive happens at night, they will make noise, but they will not roam.  Most "new" things will set them off.  I don't think a cat would last long in a yard :)  And it would also depend on how isolated you are, if you have cars driving by all the time they would get used to it.  Usually, by around 6 months they start to become territorial and that is what makes them good guard animals.  However, I'm thinking geese might not be the animal for you.  I like the previous suggestion of getting a mature dog to avoid the training.  There are many out there that need a good home.  I think it would end up being less work than dealing with geese.

#8 of 8 Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 AM

We  have  guard geese but they guard our duck flock not our human family or house.  They are great guards for other poultry---DH saw them chase off a hawk that was going after the ducks.  I can't really see them as guard "dogs' for a house though. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page