Duck eggs...... help me be less squeamish - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have about 7 ducks and this is our second year with them, but we added chickens and a pair of geese this year. Last year, we didn't take the duck eggs, we let them hatch and ended up with about 7 babies (we gave some adults and a few babies away). Okay, but this year, we're taking the eggs and they're sitting in my fridge. For some reason, eating them freaks me out. It's weird, I know. I've tried slippng them into food, thinking I wouldn't mind, but yeah, I know. The kids don't seem to mind them, in fact, if I tell my daughter that a food has duck eggs in it, she's more likely to eat it. How do I get around this feeling??

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 AM

Use them for baking. They are better than chicken eggs for this.
#3 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 PM

Have you actually tasted one? I don't know what kind of ducks you have but I worked on a ranch that had Indian runner ducks and their eggs are sooooo good with beautiful orange yokes!

#4 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 PM

DS4 cant have chicken eggs so we only use duck eggs they are divine for baking 

#5 of 11 Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 AM

An egg is an egg. What makes you squemish? Some people don't like the orange yolk of a free range chicken, either, but if you do, there really shouldn't be any reason to not like duck eggs.

#6 of 11 Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 PM

I know what you mean. It's hard to explain why it feels weird to eat it, it just does! Of course, I'm not a fan of eggs on their own anyways. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#7 of 11 Old 05-29-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I've made scrambled eggs with them, but I haven't actually tried one on it's own. Umm, we have a pair of rouens, and mixed breeds. I don't know, I can't explain it. I love eggs, usually. There is just something about eating a duck egg. The whites seem more slimy, I guess you could say. It's just that conditioning thing that I have, I suppose.

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#8 of 11 Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 AM

I think I know what you mean. When we first started eating our duck's eggs, I was sorta like that. Never had any problems with our free range chicken's eggs, though. For one thing, I noticed right off that the duck egg shells were more tough and rubbery? Is that the word for it? And then I can smell a difference in them, too. It's not a bad smell, just different. We made scrambled eggs from them, and didn't like. I agree with everyone else in saying that they really shine when you use them for all your baking needs!

Loving wife to my hubby and mama to our 5 kiddos! homeschool.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifhomebirth.jpg

#9 of 11 Old 06-16-2011, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEsther View Post

I think I know what you mean. When we first started eating our duck's eggs, I was sorta like that. Never had any problems with our free range chicken's eggs, though. For one thing, I noticed right off that the duck egg shells were more tough and rubbery? Is that the word for it? And then I can smell a difference in them, too. It's not a bad smell, just different. We made scrambled eggs from them, and didn't like. I agree with everyone else in saying that they really shine when you use them for all your baking needs!

Yes! The smell is different. And the whites seem thicker, too. Not my cup of tea, I guess.

Ambrose Bierce 
#10 of 11 Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 AM

I feel the same way about Cow vs. Goat milk. It''s just what you're used to I guess.

No sage advice other than... just eat one! You might find it's not as bad as you imagined.

#11 of 11 Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Love the ducks's eggs!  But, I think, like the cows and goats milk, this is about what you are used to.  I grew up on a dairy goat farm, and I can remember feeling really squeamish about cows milk and seeming to have all the same reasons other people were squeamish about goat's milk.  If you can't get over it, no big loss, you can use it in baking.  Or you can choose to get over it and just eat them until it feels normal (which is what I ended up doing with the cow's milk).

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page