Fleas in the coop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've never had this issue before and I can't help but wonder if having goats in the same barnyard as the chickens has made the difference or if it is because this was an unusually wet winter and spring for us. Regardless, I have a MASSIVE flea problem (I'm assuming they are fleas as that's what they look like, jump like, and bite like but are really easy to squish?) and egg production is almost nothing (having most of the birds go broody all at once doesn't help either). The flea prob gets esp bad under the broodies while they're laying on eggs.  Has anyone had to deal with this? Did you figure out a way to fix it w/o using Permethrin? My local feed store said they would go straight to Permectrin II becasue it works --- I'm hesitant to use it but not sure if I should be.  We have baby goats and one doe who is still pregnant, if I use this stuff I wouldn't use it near them. I don't see any fleas ON the goats but perhaps I should wash them? (that should be real interesting...)

Ideas if you have them would be SO much appreciated! Thanks mamas!

ps there is a MAD amount of DE in there already, hasn't helped as far as I can tell.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#2 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Should have added we use the deep litter method in the coop and I'm about to change it all out again (have once about 5 months ago when I noticed a few fleas here and there). Now it's really bad in there -- So I'd like to tackle it while the coop is empty if possible. We use pine shavings in there.  Also, the fenced area the goats and chickens share is roughly an acre, the fence allows the chickens to get out of it if they want --  mostly keeps goats in and dogs out.  Just thinking there is no way in heck I'd be able/willing to spray everywhere they go --  There is a smaller area next to the coop that is fenced to keep the goats out.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#3 of 5 Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 PM

bumping thumb.gif

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 PM

I don't have our chickens yet, but what I've read about DE is that you need to put in a dusting bowl for the chickens to actually dust themselves in. It works more effectively on the chickens, rather than just around the coop. 

I'll be reading for future reference for sure...

#5 of 5 Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM

You can mix some DE into the bedding. I have dusted the hens with SEVIN for chicken lice.You could add some sevin to their dusting spots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page