Baby Turkey with a broken leg! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a sweet month old turkey who appears to have broken it's leg. It really can't walk on it at all, the leg is skewed out to the side and it's using its wing for balance. We are keeping it separated from the others, in a small box so it can't move. Giving it homeopathics in it's water. Has anyone had this happen? We tried to splint with popsicle sticks but that didn't work, will try again today with pipe cleaners or bandaids which i read online. we really don't want to put it down but may have to....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#2 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Could it be splay leg? For that, you can gently tape the two legs together, but with a space between the legs.

http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/PigeonResourceWeb/splayleg.html

http://www.pigeonangels.com/t22-correcting-splayed-legs

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#3 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

if you aren't positive it's leg is broken I'd guess splayed leg. If you are sure it's leg is broken the most gentle thing to do is just cull it. Then again I am not phased by that kind of thing so it depends on how attached you are to the bird. My birds are great and I love them but they are also my livestock not pets.

#4 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

totally could be splayed legs...i have wondered. the picture does look like it. thanks for the info....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#5 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned

also known as spraddled leg. If you can catch it quick you can help it, if not often just have to cull..

check out backyardchickens.com they have great info on the forums there to help with those issues.

Tags
Organic Grace

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page