ideas for affordable temporary living structure.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My partner and I (and 2 yr old daughter) have the opportunity to go live on a friends property.  It may turn into a long term home,but at first we want to try it for a month or so.  There is no living structure on the property at the moment.  We are thinking about the possibility of a wall tent and maybe even a yurt if we decide to stay longer.  What else haven't I thought of?  Would love to hear any ones stories of starting form scratch and how you made it work on a small budget.  I really want to do this,but am nervous about getting started!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Just a month at first?? What about a 5th wheel trailer or an older motor home? It's summer so you'll be outside a lot and if you decide to stay more permanently you could start building modularly?  I'd do something like a 5th wheel with a little front landing/porch built next/on to it (without ruining the integrity of the orig vessel).  You could live in the 5th wheel until you're done with it and then sell it off to regain much of your initial investment (which will come in handy for building materials and/or time off work to build and/or first/last and/or down! LOL. So many options :) A yurt wouldn't be something I'd consider for a month. Heck, I could CAMP for a month really! Any Army surpluss stores near you? Or google good old army tents?

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I agree, just a month I would consider just a large tent if the weather is nice.
#4 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 AM

I would buy one of those $35.00 large mesh tents and take a folding table. This will provide you with a "living room" space that is bug free. It will allow you a place to have your food, store your gear, eat, and a place to sit. Then, I'd take my regular camping tent to sleep in, making it a a bedroom area. I would take an extra large tarp to put over the tent in case of a big rainstorm.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Don't forget a tent or tarped off area for a bathroom. 

I'd totally just camp, or do the 5th wheel...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page