British homesteaders? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any British (or even European) folks here homesteading/rural living? There is a wonderful wealth of conversation about US and Canadian life in this area, but I can't seem to find anything from families across the pond. A lot of the info around is still very helpful, but the actually set up can be so different (espcially planning permission and land use)

I have a dream of setting up a co-housing homestead with a small selection of friends and their families. However britain (specifically England) seems to have been stung by the rich city workers living in the rural outskirts of towns and cities and as a result small farms seem completely unaffordable to frugal eco livers like myself who just want a small piece of the world to support my family on. I guess I am hoping there are other Brits out there to reassure me that is is possible and this isn't just a pipe dream like everyone keeps telling me.

I look forward to hearing from any one who has insight really :)

#2 of 3 Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi I am in England. I have been reading this forum for a while but not posted. I love the ideas on here but am not sure how to fit alot of them into my life. So far I have been trying to start off slowly, cooking more of our food rather than buying and learning to knit and sew etc but also this year for the first time I have grown food in our garden which I have been really pleased with. We dont own a house though and rent from a private landlord so we cannot alter the garden just use the one bed there and I also used containers. I have been thinking of applying for an allotment but apparently the waiting list is years long!. I dont think what you have thought of is totally impossible but the price and availibilty of land will make it harder.

When I was at uni I did quite alot about round houses and since then I have always had the dream of actually living in a round house (modernized but with that main room in the middle) people say I am crazy but one day who knows!

#3 of 3 Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First of all, realise that closeness to a city and city life comforts do cost no matter where in the world you live. This means, that unless you win the lottery or are incredibly lucky you should not count upon ever being able to find something large enough to start a homestead on within comfortable commuting distance to a major city/town. Plus, if you were, there are usually lots of regulations in areas populated mainly by the well to do that might cause all kinds of problems for you.

This is true in Sweden too. Here, there's lots of land to be had, but very little land that is of general interest to most people. So naturally, that land is precious and costs thereafter.

So, I would start with really looking at prices for land all over England. Then, I would research what it would take to grow the crops you have in mind, have the animals you might like etc. Then, if  you find a plot of land you like, read about the area in specific. Check to make sure it fulfils the requirements for what you have in mind. For example, certain areas are more easily flooded than others. A thing to keep in mind.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page