Anyone know anything about raising a meat cow? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last year we moved to the country and started raising pigs. It has been a wonderful learning experience. We now want to expand to 1 or 2 meat cows. We have a lot of land, but not a lot of inside space as of now. We live in NY so we have all the seasons. I am wondering how long it takes to grow out the cow. Do you have to grow it out to over 100lbs or can you decide to butcher at 450-500lbs.

How many months does it take to grow out a cow? I know it would not be saving me a lot of money, but the fact that it would be farm raise, antibiotic free is very important to us.

Any thoughts?

#2 of 2 Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it depends upon the breed how fast they will grow. 

we have a belted galloway that we got with calf; she had that calf and he's growing SO slowly.  we're ready to butcher him this fall, so it's been (my brain not working so well) almost 2 years at that point.  we also had a calf that was belted galloway bred back to angus and that calf is already as big as the straight up galloway.  angus grow pretty quickly, which is why they're the breed of choice for so many folks. 

dh works pretty hard to maintain our pasture, fertilize with nitrogen, etc. and it dies in the winter.  we don't have anywhere to grow hay so we have to purchase it... therefore he calculated that it was more cost effective to let the bull get big before butchering it and timing it to butcher before the grass dies.  you can always butcher early, you know.. it just depends upon what you have to feed it and the cost of feed vs. grazing, etc. 

you also want to time it well.. spend some time researching breeds and thinking about cost.  we know folks who will buy holsteins because they practically GIVE the bulls away from the dairy farms, but they don't dress out well.  i think you can do those in two year's growth. 

this is a good article on raising those from backwoods home.

take a look at the storey's guides.  that should help you decide, i think... 

here's a chart on frame size vs. weight at maturity (but not length of time to maturity)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page