What to do with an Acre? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I inherited 1 acre of land from my aunt.  It is overgrown land (lots of trees), close to a road with a nice lake about 1 mile away.  There are some neighboring houses.  I just don't really know what to do with it.  I am happy to have the land and would like to have some kind of plan for it.  It is about 2.5 hours away from where we are currently living.  I don't have a lot of extra money, so building a cottage or something won't work.  Any suggestions?

#2 of 3 Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 AM

Lucky you!! 

I take it you're not planning to live on the land? Perhaps you could park a trailer there and use the acre as a little get-away spot.  Or if you want to do a bit more with it, start some gardens, keep some chickens, and build a life there.  Your options are really as limitless as your ideas and desires - you can do anything your heart dreams of!

We are on an acre of land. You can check out what we are doing - http://trinityacres.wordpress.com

Happy mama to L (Sept '06), R (Apr '08), R (Apr '10), and G (Mar '12)! - Homemade , Home birthed , Home schooled , Home grown

#3 of 3 Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 AM

we live on an acre.  well, it's 1.29, but some of it is a huge drainage ditch/creek.  We decided to move here.  We live one mile from the village.  We are making it on about 22k a year.  we have 2 goats - they will clear the land for you quite happily.  we have 8 chickens, although that will soon be 6 due to some roosters going to the meat freezer.  there's a great article in the last issue of Mother Earth News about one acre homesteading.

Granted, you don't already have a building onsite to live in and that is an investment.  It depends on if you want to go for it.

If it were me, I would go camp out there for the summer with some goats, but you would need to put up temporary fencing around your tent so the goats don't eat it.  let them clear some of the land, and then either sell them or butcher them at the end of the season.  get a well drilled.  Even if you could come up on weekends during the rest of the year, that's too long to leave them unattended with out a water source and serious fencing.

I would spend the next summer building a simple cabin and getting a feel for your land and seeing what it's characteristics are and go from there.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page