Thinking about raising chickens... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've read the other posts about raising chickens.  I'm a city girl . . . so, I need the basics about caring for the chickens and building a coop.  Any advice would be helpful!! Thanks everyone!

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

Author of "The Adoptive & Foster Parents Guide: How to Heal Your Child's Trauma and Loss"

Find more information and support at www.forever-families.com

#2 of 17 Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 AM

I would check with your city ordinances to be sure chickens are "allowed".

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#3 of 17 Old 12-25-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I know several people who live nearby that raise chickens, so I think it's okay.  I will double check though, good point.

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

Author of "The Adoptive & Foster Parents Guide: How to Heal Your Child's Trauma and Loss"

#4 of 17 Old 12-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Check out backyardchickens.com

#5 of 17 Old 12-25-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

#6 of 17 Old 12-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

www.backyardchickens.com

Best chicken site EVER!!!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#7 of 17 Old 12-25-2011, 10:29 PM

I love BackYardChickens.com, too. It is a great resource. I poured through that site like crazy before and after we got our chickens. Definitely check ordinances, because it would seriously stink to get to love your chickens and then have to rehome.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 17 Old 12-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Congrats, how exciting!!! we love our flock of 15 <3.

as PP have said, Backyard Chickens is the best site for any questions you may have and offers so much info on breeds and housing, etc. often city ordinances allow hens, but not roosters. definitely check to be sure.

Best wishes~ chickens are wonderful pets, mine make me breakfast ;). LOL

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#9 of 17 Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

If you are in the city and have a small space, don't assume you have to hide the coop and the chickens.  These girls are so much fun, I wish I had a big picture window, a couple of lazy boys and some time to kill just watching.  Especially when they are pullets!  And especially when they have some room to run around, so let your coop be as big as you will allow.

I know this isn't quite proper advice, but one you'll appreciate in time.  

Extra points:  don't space the roosts quite so close together and they won't poop on the lower roost. Use lots of litter so the space doesn't get gross (just add more on top, but remove it if the smell gets too strong inside closed coops and hutches).  Give them extra places to hop up on out in the coop.  They like to jump up on these and groom themselves.  Just don't make these roosts anywhere near as high as the roost where you want them to go to sleep.  Really, just a foot or two off the ground is perfect.  Big heavy breeds tend not to fly up, over and out.  That's true, until you get that one Buff Orpington that can clear a 6ft fence!  I wouldn't keep a "flyer" because they put idea into the other hen's heads.)  Cats can climb over fences and will when your chicks are running around.  Big breeds will outgrow any sane cat.  How are your winters?  Pretty mild?  Unless you live in Minnesota or somewhere really, really cold, I would design for air flow over warmth.  Definitely protect from wind and rain, but big breeds can take the cold, so keep any closed spaces well-ventilated.  

Usually city ordinances will limit the number of hens, and that's what you will want to find out.  I know Seattle has a big urban chicken movement, and organizations do tours of yards and coops, so maybe your area has something like that as well.

Welcome to the world of chickens!  They are so much fun.  (They better be, 'cause you will be amazed at how many hens it takes to keep a family in eggs.  Lazy little.... sweeties.  If you are limited to a small flock, they must be pets first, because 6 hens will probably not keep a family in eggs most months, especially after the second year.)

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#10 of 17 Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 AM

Whatever you use as a coop be prepared for predators.I have caught so many coons and possums.Hawks are forever an issue during the day along with neighobrs dogs.

Love having the chickens. I am back to getting 3 blue eggs a day from my EE's after adding a low watt fluorescent bulb in thier coop.They stopped laying 2 months ago. Never had that problem in the winter before.

#11 of 17 Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

mattemma, how old are your chickens? Mine are suddenly not laying too. They are on their third winter of laying (first year they were newbies just starting to lay). They are 2 1/2 years old. I have a heat lamp in there, but I think I need a white light.

Carol it is great fun raising chickens!! They do provide an endless reason to keep doing your research though!! Backyard chickens is a great site. Check out their wonderful coop photos for tons of ideas on how to structure your coop and run and how many birds to get.

#12 of 17 Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post

mattemma, how old are your chickens? Mine are suddenly not laying too. They are on their third winter of laying (first year they were newbies just starting to lay). They are 2 1/2 years old. I have a heat lamp in there, but I think I need a white light.

I've been suggesting to our local feed store that they formulate an "old biddy scratch" mix.  My 2.5yo Buff Orpingtons sure don't need all that calcium, because they haven't been laying either.  Cant blame it on the short days, they haven't been laying for weeks and weeks.  Did I mention that a small flock should be considered pets first?  That's exactly why.  If you have a limit of 4-6, you either have to find homes for them, stew them, or tolerate them.  And if you let them stay, you can't get pullets to up your egg production.  Well, unless you are a sneaky scofflaw.....

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#13 of 17 Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice!!  It sounds like I have more research to do!!

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

#14 of 17 Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Love the BYC forums.  They saved me from thinking one of my hens was dying when she was sunbathing.  Who knew?

I would also suggest getting the Storey Guide for raising Chickens.  It's very thorough and while you don't need to read it end to end, it's critical reference material sometimes.

Miss my ladies.  Working on finding a house where we can keep them!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#15 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

Love the BYC forums.  They saved me from thinking one of my hens was dying when she was sunbathing.  Who knew?

That's hilarious, because I've been there too. I was thinking "what the HECK? Did she just seize and pass out?"

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#16 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM

My Easter Eggers(EE that give blue eggs) are about 2 years old.I have 1 RSL hen that is 3.I broke down and put a fluorescent bulb in the coop,and 2 weeks later I started getting eggs again.About 3-5 a day. I keep the light on for about 12 hours a day.043.JPG

#17 of 17 Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM

The girls need about 14 hours of daylight to lay at a normal rate. We let ours molt, and then put a light in their coop to get some egg production back. They lay about 3 eggs a day, with 5 girls laying. We'll have 8 laying once spring comes. The light should be white light. They can't see too well in red light, so they'll sleep through it.

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page