Dilemma... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are currently house-hunting. We've pretty much picked an area - we might not move there if we end up hating it, but chances are good that we're going to end up in it. So here's the issue... The area is a smaller town (though for some of you I guess it'd be huge) of about 4000 people. It's an older area so the lots are pretty small - on average the nicer ones are about 1/4 acre. Some are up to 1/2 and a few are a whole acre.

If we stayed within the village limits we would save a ton on utilities and other misc. expenses. Don't ask me how that worked out - you'd think that living in the outskirts it'd be cheaper, right? Well, apparently not. This is the big thing, because we were originally going to look for a house a little while from town. We're also going to be in a snowy area, so that's a consideration - we need easy access, and there really isn't easier access than the village itself. Plus DH "needs" cable Internet and only the village gets cable. (Which is ridiculous - Europe is SO far ahead of the U.S. in this regard! But anyway.) And I mean, DH isn't really on board with homesteading so he probably wouldn't be a lot of help fencing/mowing/etc. It'd probably be easier with less land, if I'm stuck doing all the work.

However, this would mean that we'd be compromising a bit. I could still have a garden, and possibly chickens (not sure.. called code enforcement to check as a lot of places in NY don't allow chickens, but they haven't called me back yet). I could still line dry and can and we already sourced some farms to get our meat from, and probably dairy too. We could do all the urban homesteading stuff and then some (since we'd have an actual yard).

We would be sacrificing privacy, the ability to keep goats, etc... I'm also not sure what sort of trees we could plant on a smaller lot. Chances are if we had more acreage we could just find a good spot for them but that may not be the case if it was a city lot. Could ya'll please help remind me what else we'd be giving up if we lived in town instead of outside it? I'm kind of blinded by the cost factor but I don't want to be regretting the decision to be in town down the line.

coolshine.gif
#2 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Well, living outside of town means we dont pay city taxes like we would if we lived there. We also dont have building codes outside the city, so if I want to put up a structure, I can- no permit or permission required.

As far as your DH "needing" cable internet, I need it too. Honestly, without it life would be pretty miserable. You can feel really disconnected living in the country, and the ability to have access to high speed internet has kept both me and DH from bouts of depression. We have internet through a cell phone company that broadcasts to a little box we have and it acts just like cable. We dont have cable where I live, so it was the only other option besides satellite (which I do not recommend!) It's similar to getting a wifi card from AT&T only its local and gets a way better signal than any of the big cell companies.

Why, exactly do you need easy access to the villiage if its snowy? Do your kids go to school, do you have a job in town, or what is the issue with being stuck if its snowy? We have a woodstove, which I know is ok in the city but you have to have home inspections done. Out here, if it snows, you are just home until it melts. But if you are homesteading, you will likely have plenty of food and we've had people come to our house because they lost power and we have wood heat.

Just some things to consider smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

DH needs easy access because he has appointments at the hospital - they can be as frequent as several times per week. Or he can go a long time without them - in which case we'd be perfectly content to hole up and hibernate all winter long. (That's a sore point for me - if we didn't have that to consider we would be looking at a completely different area to live in - in the far north part of NY instead of in the Southern Tier, but hey, that's where the hospital is...) We actually DO plan on hibernating - minus the doctors appointments. (That's ironic - sometime he can go months without one. But I dunno if that's a risk we should take...) Stock up for winter and all that.

That is a good point, though - we do plan on homeschooling and it might be easier for the kids, as they grow older, to be a little further out in the country than to have all the neighborhood kids go to school and they don't. NY is apparently not a very homeschool friendly state so although they do have some homeschool activities, esp. in the next town over (like art classes, gym classes, that sort of thing, for homeschoolers) I dunno if they'd feel left out if they weren't in the local school.

I dunno why he wants cable but he plays online games and for that you need like uber-speed or something. He used to be in IT so I guess I could ask him about your type of set-up (which I've never heard of!) and see if that would make a difference. Is that available all over?

coolshine.gif
#4 of 10 Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM

I would go for the location outside of town.Best wishes whatever you decide.

#5 of 10 Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM

I'd still go for out of town so that you can enjoy chickens and a large garden and having goats one day.  If you really want to live in the country, town living doesn't cut it.  You can get around pretty well even far from town with weather, it's surprising.  We are an hour from town with very changeable and windy (les suetes, a highland weather phenomena) weather and after awhile the driving and arranging plans become second nature.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#6 of 10 Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Bizarre.  We live 45 minutes from a city and we are never stuck and not able to get into town.  I don't really think that is a valid reason to live in city limits.  Snowplows go by. And if it is a complete blizzard call the sheriff.

As for internet- if he is a gamer- a hotspot or satellite probably won't cut it since you would reach your limit pretty quick.  But DSL would be fine if you were close enough to town.

The real issue I think is you guys don't seem to be on the same page with what you want.  If your DH isn't really on board this could be a really bad thing.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#7 of 10 Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM

The internet I have through a cell phone company doesnt have a limit, but my satellite did. We dont get DSL and we are just 5 miles from town (of about 2,000), but there are friends of ours who get it and are 10 miles from town. It really all depends on where cable has been run.

As far as getting stuck, my road doesnt get plowed. Its a one lane country road, and it is one of the last roads in the county to get plowed.I am homebound at least once a year here in Kentucky because of snow trapping my car. If I call the sherif, he will give me the phone number for the county road department. If there was an emergency, he might come pick me up though smile.gif If you buy land/house that is down a long driveway, you may well find yourself stuck quite often. Different counties plow differently and have different priorities, so you might want to ask the neighbors about how the road gets plowed before you buy. A 4wd vehicle is always great on a farm anyway, but that might be the way to go if you need to be able to get out in a hurry.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 10 Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

When you mean "pay more for utilities" are you talking about monthly bills?  I think if it weren't for the gaming issue, I would nevermind the utility bills and live some way but not too far from town, if access is what you need.  But it sounds like you really need to find common ground on that before moving on.

We have a small lot in town (700 pop.) and my girls really love it here.  We have some hens (never found out about the rules :) and a little vegetable garden and some fruit trees.  The girls can ride bikes to the library, we walk to the post office and bank.  Very nice (no grocery stores, though.)  It is too cramped for me.  I don't like the wood smoke that hangs in town this time of year due to inversions during the coldest weather.  I am looking forward to moving to our property this spring (after being on the "2 yr plan" for 15 yrs!) but there is a lot about living here in town that I will miss, and our tire budget will have to get bigger from all the extra driving and dirt roads.  We won't get to ride our bikes to the library anymore, but the girls' best friend lives just a little ways down our tiny road and we can all walk there in 5 minutes.

A lot can be done with a small lot and there are wonderful books about it (some Permaculture books as well address this very nicely as well).  But I know I would like more space, and my town isn't even big enough for cable, let alone our property, so we make do with 1.5 mbps phone-internet service.  Works nicely for us, but I don't think an online gamer would be content.  You are really going to have to hammer that out together.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#9 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... I think it would be a deal-breaker for him if he had to make do with a slower connection. eyesroll.gif

It's funny, in Hungary, a village that's like a thousand years old and has like 100 residents has cable access no problem (I'm talking about an actual place - the EU has like a 98% cable access rate or a goal of one anyway, I'm not sure what the actual stats are right now) but here you go a few miles outside the town center and you're out of luck... I don't get it, really!

coolshine.gif
#10 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 AM

I have relatives in Belapatfalva Hungary. They have good internet,lol.

Tags
Country Living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page